-
Posts
640 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jaminben
-
Yes... the EU browser choice. I use the regex fix just incase that update gets deployed at a later date and I also tell MDT to ignore the update in my 'Rules' (see screenshot). reg.exe add HKLM\Software\BrowserChoice /v Enable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f ;Exclude EU Browser Choice WUMU_ExcludeKB1=976002 EDIT I've very quickly skipped through that video and although it will work it looks like its going the long way round. I would personally create my own reference images by letting MDT automatically run through from start to finish without any user interaction required to capture it. Try searching for Johan Arwidmark tutorials, I think I found some awhile ago where he shows how to set it up... if not that try http://deploymentresearch.com/ EDIT 2 The path for the capture image is set in my 'Rules' as seen in the screenshot (ComputerBackupLocation=).
-
[SCCM 2012] Deploying Windows 7 UEFI Toshiba C50
jaminben replied to jaminben's topic in O/S Deployment
Yea, it goes through the whole process then fails on the boot... I'll have to try using a USB but I don't hold out too much hope as its a dodgy Toshiba C50 so we may just have to start deploying Windows 8 sooner rather than later. Yep, we have that step... glad you got the drivers working -
[SCCM 2012] Deploying Windows 7 UEFI Toshiba C50
jaminben replied to jaminben's topic in O/S Deployment
Secure boot is disabled and legacy (CSM) just won't see the boot images (32 or 64 bit) which I think is down to the dodgy Toshiba C50 model as linked to in first post. -
Hi, I'm trying to deploy Windows 7 X64 with UEFI using SCCM 2012 R2 PXE but keep getting the error shown in the attached screenshot when the laptop re-boots... I have seen methods using a memory stick but I'd rather not go that route for now. I'm using a 64bit Win PE 5.0X boot image and I can deploy Windows 8.1 just fine but the laptop is a troublesome Toshiba C50. Anyone managed to deploy Windows 7 X64 UEFI using SCCM 2012 R2 PXE? Thanks Ben
-
Basically as free780 said... you should let your task sequence run as a whole. So let it install your OS + Updates + Any Custom Scripts + Applications + Updates + Any Custom Scripts and finally capture it (see attached screenshot of one of my TS's). When testing out my TS's I'll disable the updates as they take a long time and throw in a pause so I can manually check out what the scripts and application installs have done. What I'll also do is create my VM and point its OS build to the "\\DeploymentShare\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x86.iso" so it'll then boot straight to MDT's TS selection menu. Once you have it how you like run it one last time with all the updates and you should be able to let it build your reference image without touching it at all (fully automated).
-
Hypervisor Intermittent after Automatic reboot
jaminben replied to NerdNamedMatt's topic in Windows Server 2012
Looks like its lost its virtual network connection, can you see any network details or ping out to other machines when your logged in locally? -
8.1 for me too.... love it long time.
-
Ok panic over.... we've reinstalled and re-entered our keys and its just started to work. WOW that was a massive worry for about 2 hours and I can't believe M$ give out information like that. Thanks to everyone who posted.... its massively appreciated
-
I created ours with MDT 2013 rather than SCCM but I don't see that being any different.
-
I didn't get a name from the chap I spoke to but it was just the standard MS VLST 0800 917 9016 number. I definitely downloaded the .iso from the VSLC and imported that into MDT 2013 to create our reference image which is no different than when I created our Office 2010 image and that worked fine. Our KMS host has only just been setup and its activating Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 clients just fine.
-
The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.
-
So I've created my reference image which included Office Professional Plus 2013 with SP1 which worked great in our test setup but wasn't activated. We didn't worry about this at the time as we knew we would be updating our KMS server with the VAMT 3.1. So during the holidays we've been merrily imaging all 500+ machines thinking all we had to do was setup the KMS server and input our KMS key and it would activate ok. As it turns out you can't use a KMS key on a copy of "Office Professional Plus 2013 with SP1".... you can only use a KMS key on "Office Professional Plus 2013", activate it and then apply "SP1" afterwards. We've been onto MS this morning who are the ones that have told us all the above and can't believe they would offer a download on their VLSC site with keys associated with it but you can't use it. I'm posting here in desperation looking for a different answer or possible solution. Thanks Ben
-
Best thing to do is do a search for "mdt johan arwidmark" on YouTube and watch some of his videos for creating reference images.
-
I'm probably as old or older than you... just new to IT You can "Pause" the TS to manually install any older programs that are a pain to install. I also tend to use VM's to build the images so they are driver agnostic and you can snapshot the VM for quicker testing / turnarounds of builds.
-
I guess you can still use older methods but thats before my time so wouldn't know about those.
-
Off the top of my head I can't remember what it adds to the capture sequences but if your looking to create an automated reference image (.wim) then MDT is what you want (IMO). It'll take a little getting used to but it's more or less the same as creating an SCCM task sequence... for instance a task sequence might look like: install OS > run updates > install programs > run updates again > run custom powershell commands > run custom cmd commands > create .wim And that's all automated so you don't have to touch it at any point. If you want to include another piece of software later down the line you just add it to the install programs task and run it again and you'll have another new .wim.
-
+1 for PowerShell.... once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.
- 9 replies
-
- active directory
- bulk update
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I don't think your missing out on much apart from the ability to add a few extra items to your task sequences whether that be capture or deployment. I use both but keep them separate.... MDT to create our images and SCCM to deploy them.
-
Thanks for the reply I've done what you suggested and it appears to be working ok... it'll be a new experience for our users so we'll see how it goes. I also worked out why every other login would result in the user not getting any folder redirection which turned out to be Fast Logon Optimization, Applied that policy and all is working.
-
Hi all, Have been sat here for the past few days trying to work out how to create a universal start menu which will work between Windows 7 & 8 but not having much luck. Our Windows 7 start menu is generated via folder redirection and we have our Windows 8 start menu (Not the Apps part) setup using group policy and an .xml file. These both work fine independently but I need to add the redirected Windows 7 start menu items to Windows 8 of which most are just links to various resources. When I try to redirect the Windows 8 start menu items (Apps) the login time increases to over a minute and the Start Menu items that have just been added (Apps) will disappear after a few minutes. Another issue we have is every other login to the Windows 8 machine will result in the user not getting any redirected desktop or start menu (Apps) but the Windows 7 machines don't suffer from this issue. We're also using mandatory profiles. How is everyone else handling their start menus (Apps) in a mixed environment? Thanks Ben
-
Thanks Darren for confirming my theory. I'm not brave enough to run those commands against our database though but we do already use the OSDComputerName variable. I've already created a bootable USB drive so I'll just duplicate that with an unattended file to get the job done at this point.
-
Ok, did you try to image more than one? We've got 64 of them and for whatever reason when trying to do an OSD SCCM will name them with the same name and then fail the process. The first tablet worked great but now its turning into a never ending nightmare EDIT: I think I've just twigged what's going wrong... I bought a handful of USB 2.0 Ethernet RJ45 Network Lan Adapters thinking I could do a batch then another batch once the previous lot had finished. I guess the OSD procedure is seeing the same MAC address from the USB adapter and automatically naming the device which is causing me issues.
-
Did you ever get your Dell Venue 11 Pro and manage to use SCCM to deploy an OS to it successfully?
