Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jake

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jake

  1. Jake

    Warhammer

    The statistics say different, it was indeed an exodus, stats show that roughly 46% of the userbase have now left the game. (only Vanguard has had a larger drop in retention in the first 3 months) Thats an exodus. I'm sure lots of people "say" they will try it again in 3 months (lots said that about Vanguard, Shadowbane and Horizons, but never returned). However, WAR will be out by then and WoTLK will be knocking on the door, I doubt even half of those people will really go back and try it again. My prediction (made during late beta) that it would have large sales (due to the boobies/blood/graphics causing drool factor) but with lots of people quitting early on after seeing the game state is still correct. It did indeed have large initial sales, and lots did indeed quit quickly. Its exactly what happened. (at the same time I made that prediction, I predicted that WAR would do nearly the opposite, smaller initial sales (due to the graphics turning some non-understanding folk off), followed by a steady increase in subs as people see videos of some of the large scale fighting and think it actually looks fun and try it out) Theres a simple reason why theres an exodus too, its because AoC came out way way too soon. They billed it as a PvP game, yet its pvp is awful , consisting of one-shots, unbalanced classes and virtually no point to the actual PvP. They massively, and I mean MASSIVELY, hyped up the sieges prior to release. Yet not once did they actually allow us to beta test the sieges, as a result the sieges have been largely broken since release. They hugely concentrated on the Tortage section of the game, knowing that it was the part which would get reviewed by magazines and sites, and that it would hook people in early on. Sadly alot of Post-Tortage suffered as a result of that decision. AoC could have been a decent solo game, or possibly even a NWN style LAN game. It could even still yet make a semi decent PvE game. But billing it and hyping it as a PvP game, when you didnt even have a PvP system in place , let alone working and balanced at release was a massive mistake. What they should have done was delay the launch by another 6-9 months and for gods sake let us beta testers actually test the content instead of refusing to let us test. As I say though, all a matter of taste, hell there are still people playing Vanguard, Horizons and Shadowbane, so just goes to show that theres always someone to like every variety of game.
  2. Jake

    Warhammer

    All a matter of taste I guess, I was in the AoC beta and the WAR beta, and thought AoC was truly a terrible MMO. My predictions that AoC would see alot of sales at release followed by lots of people quitting quickly have come true. WAR on the other hand, I have enjoyed virtually from the moment I got into beta 8 months ago. Really reminds me of the grand old days of Daoc. The combat system has improved alot (although I found it ok to start with), stability and performance are what you would expect from a beta. Wont be for everyone of course with its heavy slant towards PvP, but personally I love it, I actually enjoy playing the beta of WAR more than any of the currently released MMOs, so its a no brainer for me
  3. Jake

    Warhammer

    Well currently we arent forming an alliance until we know exactly what server/server type we will go for. But it never hurts to know other guilds Our site is www.ignis-war.com Ingame I am usually Vladimere
  4. Jake

    Warhammer

    Can we not just patch our existing client? I know the US testers had to download a client for their CE beta, but I just assumed we closed beta folk wouldnt need to as we already have the client. No worries though if we have to, already downloaded it several times since the start of the year, one more wont hurt
  5. Jake

    Warhammer

    Ahh, nope dont think I've bumped into any of you We've got around 35 members in our guild, with 11 pending applications. None from Edugeek either though. Our guild is called Ignis.
  6. Jake

    Warhammer

    Geoffs He said they're in beta too. I may have encountered them in beta so wondered who hehe And yes, absolutely, being in a guild will be nigh on a neccessity in WAR. Even stinky Order guilds
  7. Jake

    Warhammer

    Hehe who is your guild?
  8. Jake

    Warhammer

    Our guild is going Destruction, myself..I will be having a Shaman and a Zealot as my primary characters
  9. Jake

    Warhammer

    Yep, been in the Warhammer beta for 8 months and my guild got into Guild beta when it opened too.
  10. We've completed most of our bigger jobs, just got some smaller stuff left to do. Stacks and stacks of time left to do it, so large portions of time at the moment are used by simply sitting around doing nothing. Which is handy as I am finding that I have ALOT less enthusiasm or desire to do anything this summer for some reason. Maybe its boredom, maybe its the belief that anything done wont be appreciated anyway, maybe its because they will probably break or not use at all anything we've implemented, maybe its the shadow of BSF. Not really sure, but finding that I am not really giving a toss this year
  11. Heres the email I got, "We have been advised this morning that before completing the SIMS .net August upgrade you need to check with the Exams Officer that the OCR Nationals Base Data has been set up for Sept 07 and the results have been entered BEFORE the August upgrade is completed. This is because the August upgrade changes the levels structure for Sept 08 and prevents the results from being entered."
  12. Our LEA has pulled our solus download of the august update. Was there yesterday, but when we went to actually download it today it was gone. Contacted our LEA and they said they have had to remove it because their is a bug in it where it all messes up if its done before the exam basedata is imported , or some such thing. Cant remember the exact wording, the LEA is supposed to be sending us an email soon detailing it.
  13. I guess it depends whether or not you get back into education, only to then get knocked back out of education by BSF Its still currently as interesting a job choice as its always been, although to be honest, I am looking around myself lately, keeping my options open. Alot of thought lately in my head about whether to stay where I am or move on. As things stand at the moment, I think if I saw the right thing, I would move on.
  14. Jake

    Dark Knight

    Surely they have to do another Batman, got to have Batman v the Penguin. Just wouldnt be batman without a rough up with the penguin !
  15. I reckon his email account isnt working properly because his name and account number consist entirely of asterixs, causes havoc with servers that. *play me off Johnny!!*
  16. So in effect, its only a 2/3 IF the host knows where the car is. If the host doesnt know where the car is, then its 50/50 as per the wikipedia table
  17. Ah, hang on...I think I see why I am saying 50/50 I think its down to this quote from that wiki page "The player's probability of winning by switching increases to 2/3 in the original problem because in the two cases above where the host would reveal the car, he is forced to reveal the remaining goat instead" So, if I am reading that correctly, its ONLY 2/3 IF the host would reveal the car and is forced to reveal the remaining goat. Whereas the way I was reading that original quote, was that the host has not revealed a car initially, but has ONLY revealed a goat. Which if I am reading that wiki quote correctly would mean that the odds would indeed be 50/50 because the 2/3 probability isnt triggered unless the host reveals a car and has to open an alternative door showing a goat instead. Which is indeed listed on that wiki page in the little table where it says "The host does not know what lies behind the doors, and opens one at random without revealing the car (Granberg and Brown, 1995:712). = Switching wins the car half of the time." Which of course is the 50/50 I have come to.
  18. Nope, I still dont get it My mind must just be no good at it. The moment the goat is shown behind door 3, my head tells me that it is no longer a question of 1 in 3, or 2 in 3, or 3 in 3. It simply tells me that the car is behind 1 of 2 doors. (the discounted door with the goat simply not being a factor anymore)...so my head just tells me that the car is either behind door 1 , or door 2. So its a 50/50 choice. I cant include door 3 as a probability/possibility because I now know for a fact that it has no car. I guess I just will never get it. (though it does still sound like something beardy people use to show their "cleverness" off, the mathematical equivalent of pointing out a double negative in someones sentence )
  19. See thats what I cant understand... Now that we know for certain that Door 3 is a goat, then surely its no longer 1 in 3 if you stick, surely its now 1 in 2, as Door 3 has effectively been completely eliminated from the equation. And so its a 1 in 2 chance regardless of whether you change or not. (The third door having now been opened and having nothing to do with anything any more) In my head its like in football, if Arsenal , Man U and Chelsea are all on the same points then its a 1 in 3 if I say Arsenal will win the title, but if Chelsea then lose and fall behind and cant catch up(like opening door 3), they are now eliminated from the title race and Arsenal are now a 1 in 2 chance of winning the title (the other being Man U). I guess in my head I just cant see why 3s have anything to do with it when there are only 2 choices (Door 1 and 2, door 3 having now been rendered irrelevant as we know for a fact its a goat). Then again I am sure half these things are designed to make some stuffy bearded virgin in some basement feel superior to mere mortals anyway
  20. That is indeed confusing... Surely once one door is open, there are 2 remaining doors, which means its a 50/50 chance of picking the right door. Surely now, whether I pick door 1 or door 2, its going to be a 50/50 chance regardless of which of the 2 doors I pick. Changing my choice from door 1 to door 2 isnt going to change the 50/50 chance surely. 50/50 is better than the original 1 in 3, but at this stage, one door is already open so the remaining choice is 50/50 regardless of which door I pick out of the two, so surely there isnt an advantage at that point in changing my choice??
  21. If you shave all his head hair off, he looks like Inspector Grim from The Thin Blue Line
  22. This was ours...sadly it was dropped when we ended up going with the LEA choice of Uniservity (which in my opinion is nowhere near as good as moodle )
  23. Hehehe...thats about 5 minutes away from where I live
  24. It certainly is, prior to this update the my marksheets section would open in a matter of several seconds
  25. Ever since we put the May update and .net 2 on, our SIMS has been going ludicrously slow. Especially when trying to open My Marksheets etc...it can take 5-10mins to open it.
×
×
  • Create New...