Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jake

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jake

  1. Hi all, Got a bit of a query for anyone who is familiar with Cubase 5. Our Head of Music has bought in a "Cubase 5 Educational - 10+ Users" edition for £250. Now..Cubase 5 comes with a USB dongle...thing is I kind of expected to see 10 dongles as it was supposed to be a 10+ user edition. However the package has turned up today, its a single box with 1 dongle in it. I havent tried to install it or anything yet but my suspicions have been raised. I hunted around for a bit on the Cubase forums and various suppliers and I simply couldnt find anyone , anywhere talking about a 10+ User version, everyone talked about a single user version (usually costing around £200, give or take). I got the weblink from the HoD for the product and found that they were selling 5+ user , 10+ user and 25+ user versions (with the 5+ being the same price as the 10+ and the 25+ being hugely cheaper for some odd reason). Which has only further served to get my suspicions up that something dodgy is going on here.... So...has anyone had any experience of the Cubase 5 Educational edition, or heard of a 10+ user license, or if such a thing exists got any experience of how you would have it working on 10 PCs with just 1 dongle. (assuming you cant server attach the dongle) Thinking about it , I'm thinking that the prices are bulk purchase prices, 10+ at £250, 25+ at £169 discount. Why they have then allowed him to order only 1 copy at the 10+ price I dont know, an oversight maybe. Jake
  2. Hehe, I so rarely get time out of my cage since changing schools, insanely busy here (8th largest school in England, least it was last year) Have tried stripping out all the printers, still doing the same thing. Darned frustrating.
  3. Aha ! I might have known that my de-caged presence would lure a female or two Certainly worth a shot, I'll go and strip out all the printers on one machine and see if it has any effect, hopefully so. One other bit of info which might help to diagnose whats going on, users can overwrite-save fine to USB stick, just not to anywhere else.
  4. Thanks, it does have different printers. I havent tried without the printers installed, but its worth a shot so I'll give it a try. One thing though, when I am logged in as admin , I am able to save and re-save to the admins documents area perfectly fine which I wouldnt have thought I could do if it was printer related, which increases the weirdity of whats going on.
  5. Ok, this one is really weird and is severely twisting my mind !! I will try to explain as exact as I can. Summary of the issue - User cannot overwrite by save from Publisher. Explanation - User goes into IT Suite X, User creates a document in Publisher 2003 , saves the .pub as Test1. User later opens the .pub and makes some changes and then goes to save the .pub over the original, error box comes up with "Publisher cannot save the file". Nothing more. User goes into IT Suite Y, same software, opens .pub , makes changes and saves over the original. Save works. Log in to IT Suite X as Admin, open up the original Users document from the Users documents, makes some changes, saves...also gets the "Publisher cannot save the file" error. Admin goes into IT Suite Y, is able to amend and update the file as normal. Office 2003 in IT Suite X has been reinstalled and any local profiles on the machines have also been cleaned out. User is able to save and overwrite in any other application, including office apps, its purely something which happens in Publisher only. My mind is melted from looking at this one, anyone got any thoughts or seen it before?
  6. Well, our students are now happily using their live@edu accounts, took a while to get all 3000 accounts working nicely, but its finally all done ! Now to just get the microsoft live services moodle module working without having to go out of the vle site.
  7. Yup we use it, its pretty good. We have over 100 printers on it and it handles them fairly well. The reporting facilities arent too bad, you can get all the usual stuff on it (pages printed by user/printer/dept etc) so you can hold that pesky dept to account when they print out 200 copies of something on a colour laser instead of popping down to the Reprographics dept and getting it photocopied.
  8. That'd be great, can never have too much documentation
  9. Yup its a very useful guide, we will soon be getting our 3000 student accounts set up and ready to roll. Thanks again to Ben, been a great help indeed.
  10. Yeah I did, no problem though, Ben replied in the other thread explaining that sometimes it doesn't register properly and emailed me the files
  11. Sadly not, that takes me through to the page I've been looking at where it says : "Page Not Found The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it. If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Help link at the top of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: 19a0882c-11bd-4f5b-b4ae-8cd1f0b3adfb Microsoft Connect welcome page. " Seem to be getting that everywhere I go. Thanks though.
  12. Posted this elsewhere too, but this might be the best place for it.. The microsoft pages are seriously doing my head in at the moment, we're getting live@edu all setup and ready for the coming year but we want to use this olsync (or galsync or olma or whatever they are calling it these days) for AD syncing. Issue that I am having is that I cannot seem to get the download for it from anywhere on the microsoft connect site.. I keep just getting sent round and round in circles saying that I dont have permissions etc (am logged in with our live@edu admin account), or ending up with just a txt file. Anyone got any ides where/how I can get this ?? Jake
  13. Hi guys and gals !! The microsoft pages are seriously doing my head in at the moment, we're getting live@edu all setup and ready for the coming year but we want to use this olsync (or galsync or olma or whatever they are calling it these days) for AD syncing. Issue that I am having is that I cannot seem to get the download for it from anywhere on the microsoft connect site.. I keep just getting sent round and round in circles saying that I dont have permissions etc (am logged in with our live@edu admin account), or ending up with just a txt file. Anyone got any ides where/how I can get this ?? Jake
  14. Innuendo?? Me?! Surely not Personally I like the avatar greatly, now if I can just get this A2 printer and this easy wipe gloss paper to work properly.....
  15. Thanks, I'll pass it on
  16. The problem comes when a member of staff makes an ODF here and takes it home to their PC and cant open it at home because they dont have the plugin. Dont really want to try and ensure that 480 members of staff have a plugin on their home machines. Would simply be easier to ensure that OO saves by default in a format which all can open regardless of any extras.
  17. Howdy all , Been trying to find an easy way to set the default save formats in OO3.1 as MSOffice filetypes for all users. Found several ways of doing it on earlier versions of OO but cant seem to find anyone who has a solution for OO3.1. Anyone know of a way? Want to rollout OO3.1 this summer to run alongside MSO, but hesitant to do so without setting the default save formats.
  18. "Apples new iPeepshow ! Porn on the go, anytime, anywhere. Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face." Or how about... "In celebration of the Star Trek revival, sales of the new Nokia G-Laforge phone have sky-rocketed."
  19. "Christoper Nolan talks of his disappointment at the audition candidates for the leading part in the next Batman movie."
  20. Must admit I havent been on the TES forums since Bisley98. To be honest, if I were to read the TES forums and again see the kind of venom, near hatred and disdain the teachers on there have for my career and my work, I would probably resign completely and never work in education again. I've often wondered why so many teachers look upon my career as something nasty stuck to the bottom of their shoe. Thankfully I am in a school with IT specialism and the staff here are not only all very friendly but are all quite clued up on IT... nevertheless the attitudes of teaching staff on a wider scope towards my job is frankly astonishing at times. Sometimes I think it would be hilarious if Techs all over the country just walked out for a month, see how the teachers do then. Sadly though this would impact the kids learning, which at the end of the day is what we are all, teaching staff and support staff alike, here for. Besides which.... techbabes > teacherbabes
  21. Obviously there is scope for an addon package, Hunkbuntu, one for the laydees. A fairly quick addon to produce, its really just changing some 1s for 0s
  22. Was thinking of marketing it...Babebuntu....I reckon theres a market there for it !
  23. I thought I just heard someone say female, girl and technician ! Excellent news ! It means that my linux-based cyberbabe alarm is working !!
  24. Using the internet excessively?? In an IT career? Crikey, what "excessive"?? I'm usually on the internet near constantly during the course of a day. Its kind of a vital technical resource.
  25. Thanks, another nicely presented site. Am I being dense though or is it more of a depository for podcasts etc rather than a running daily radio station?
×
×
  • Create New...