-
Posts
500 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by superfletch
-
I'd agree. AutoIT 3 is sweet and this would be quite possible. In addition, AutoIT has a wealth of Help files to consult as well as a superb online community of users who are good at using the program and willing to help newbies. Get it whether you need it or not.
-
You sure it is random (ie - you've actually seen it happening) and not just that kids have been reporting it. If you've seen it happening) Have you recently put out a new image to most of the machines you believe to be affected? If you haven't and it is just a reported problem) Is it anything to do with the p[ower management settings (within BIOS not windows) of the PC's themselves? Just some ideas to be looking at anyway - don't forget it is Friday the 13th, could you have a techie friend who is playing a practical joke? EDIT - This post assumes you've just noticed this!! What FN-Greatermanchester has just added would make more sense if it is an ongoing problem.
-
Steal her phone!! Sorry... I'm ashamed now!
-
I've never seen this problem but it stinks of Remote desktop. I know this problem and it is a PITA. Very similar to when the number of RDP's gets maxed out and you have to reset it. This might be crazy but have you RDP'd to it yourself and seen what happens? Try and RDP it as admin whilst it is locked and observe its behaviour.
-
@steveg "only problem we have is kids switching the wireless off via the button on the front." Can you disable the wireless button in the BIOS?
-
I've got a really old model Blackberry, it's quite simplistic compared to the more recent ones but I think it's absolutely great. I've had my fair share of Windows mobile devices in the past but didn't get along with them. I found the blackberry easy to setup initially and I like the ergonomics of it, the proper qwerty keyboard with no poxy stylus (I know more smart phones have these these days) is an absolute must, I couldn't go back to a device without one now. One downside of the Blackberry (it might just be my setup though) is that I can't seem to reconcile my sent items properly - ie if I send something off the blackberry then come back into the office my sent items has no notion of it ever existing. I think BB are great.
-
Seen that server operating in a similar kind of Environment (a small primary) and it seems pretty robust. I'd agree with other posts that you'll probably want: Quad Core CPU, Oodles of RAM (2/4Gb Minimum), Gb Network Card, Gb Switch(es), Space - You'd be surprised how quick they'll fill it up with junk, Also not sure which (if any) tape drive the Proliant comes with. The one I saw had a DAT40 in it but this wasn't enough for backing all their data up and I had to change it to a DAT72. Hope this is some help!!
-
Worth checking the v of Office 2003's sp, Capita recomend Office 03 sp2 but I have found Office 03 sp3 generally OK. Get it from Windows update under Microsoft Office Family. It fixed an issue with reports and Assessment for me recently. Capita's advice for this error generally (though no support for x64) is to make sure Office 03 is installed. To this end it could be you need to uninstall/reinstall Office, especially if you have had an different version of Office on this PC - it could be a registry issue.
-
Class - ablsolute class!:):) Nay :D:D:D
-
Micro Librarian (Junior Librarian 3) I've used in several schools (all primaries though), as people have stated it seems to be an excellent product. It is easy to install and configure, minimum hasstle with importing users (CSV file with name, class, yr, and a unique identifier) is easy and updates are simple. It is Vanilla, CC3 and Viglen network friendly and diagnosing faults is pretty easy too. Don't know how it would cope with heavier use of a secondary, but if it was a dedicated PC with it's own DB in a library solely, or maybe even with just a couple of clients I'd suggest it is a great piece of software.
-
Thats Awesome.
-
Helpful!! I've posted here (although it's an old thread) as I'll have to do something similar next September, but also I'm having a problem where I've started working for a new school and lots of the teachers are getting Classroom Monitor error messages which seem to be to do with access rights. I have given them Read/Write access over the Classroom monitor folder on the server but it hasn't fixed the problem for all users. I'm guessing those users that still have problems have next to no access rights on their laptops - is there a folder they need rights to for the local part of the install? I tried the C:\Program Files\Classroom Monitor folder for one user but it didn't make a blind bit of difference. Any ideas?
-
That would make sense cause it means scanning a mapped drive with masses of data in it, I will be checking any on access or scheduled daily scanners when I get a chance.
-
Have you got the commandtimeout setting in your connect.ini(s) If so the timeout needs to be of a suitably high value to allow the workstation to communicate to the SIMS Server and for the SIMS Server to pass the request to the SQL2005 DB Engine recieve a response, translate it into something useful and pass it back to your workstation. Usually I'd suggest commandtimeout=10000 but you might even need it higher than this especially if you have any weak links (bottlenecks such as old switches or even hubs) between your workstation and your database server. As Matt said - are both your connet.ini files correct? Also - Is the database server man enough to handle the SQL2005 Database if it is underpowered or recieving lots of other non SIMS requests too it could be taking an age to send the data back to you? Some things to be thinking of anyway? Recommended Spec by Capita (for DB Server): 1.5 GHz processor or higher (Dual Core 2.4 GHz recommended for optimum performance in secondary schools) 1024 or higher (4GB recommended for optimum performance in secondary schools).
-
No worries dude. I wasn't really sure but I don't think I've ever needed to run it on a client in order to get the DocServer going.... ahh SIMS dot :censored:ing net
-
I think last year it put .net 2 on with the August upgrade [edit - part of the ccsInfrastructre.exe (or similar name) as you say - in readiness for I think SQLServer 2005] I'm sure I've seen SIMS work with .net 3 though....
-
@cuke2u Mate, running the SIMSDocumentServerSetup.exe should have just installed a local copy of the document server on each of those workstations (I think). I'd double check your workstations are pointing at your actual DocServer just in case (In SIMS net tools menu) then check that someone who makes their own reports can access them from one of the workstations you had this problem on. I might be wrong but I thought I'd say something JIC, it can't do you any harm to check. I looked at your post saying the DocServer was down and thought maybe firewall or an IP address issue / similar.
-
The command for this should be something like this (as long as you are working from the machine your directories reside on) if I’m not mistaken: cd.. cd.. RMDIR X:\YOURPATHNAME\HOMEFOLDER$ /s /q /s being to remove all subdirectories /q being to do it without confirmation Note that you cannot be inside the directory that you are deleting; else you will be prompted with the message "The process cant access the folder because it is being used by another process". If your text file is prepared as follows (and the majority of your home folders reside in one or two locations then you could do the following: Imagine this is a few lines of your text file: X:\Users\Home Folders\USERNAME1$ X:\Users\Home Folders\USERNAME2$ X:\Users\Home Folders\USERNAME3$ X:\Users\Home Folders\USERNAME4$ Use the edit menu and choose to replace: In the find box enter: X:\Users\Home Folders\ In the replace box enter: RMDIR X:\Users\Home Folders\ Then choose replace all: Repeat this for any other locations you might have then concentrate on adding the switches – again by using find and replace. In the find box choose to find a $ sign and choose to replace it with $ /s /q (Obviously your directories need to end in $ signs)… Now save the text file as a .bat file. The script should then do the rest when you run it. Needless to say be sure you are targeting the right folders, I’m sure someone here will point out if I’ve made any mistakes with this..
-
Thats good advice, I'd also suggest (along a very similar line) install an additional AV software(s) on a machine that can see the folder concerned and scan it with those.
-
I'd guess the USB hub is drawing power from the PC through the USB connection on the m/b, if you were to use a different USB hub that doesn't draw power (or draws less power), you'd probably be alright. For info - What is the make/model of the USB hub?
-
Can you run the script manually when the user is already logged in and you know the network connection has sparked to life and see that it works? Add a few pauses to your script and run it visibly so you can see it's results while you do this. Can you think of anything these machines have in common that the successful ones don't (I'm thinking have they been imaged recently EDIT (well not so much recently but at the same time or using the same image) or is there some other policy over-riding them), you said you have multiple DC's - do they all run AD and have you been to the default domain policy for all of them. Do all the successful machines reside in the same OU(s) if so have you tried putting some of the unsuccessful ones in that(those) OU's? It could also be worth trying to delete one of the machines computer accounts in AD, disconnect and then rejoin it to the domain and move the account created back into the right OU. You've probably tried all this though!
-
Look at the thread on Backing up SIMS posted a few days ago as well. This details some of the problems you may come accross if you are only using system manager for the initial backup. Best to use DBAttach to backup as well as restore.
-
OK another forum says to run xmllitesetup.exe from the IE7 Setup folder. I'd isolate a machine first though still. Can't find anything about the GPO settings though and I havent got an AD here to go through arrrrrgh!!! Apparently it fixed the problem in the Beta2 release. IE7 Lost Tabbed Browsing? - JCXP.net Internet Explorer 7 Help & Support - JCXP.net
-
Heres a microsoft list of Add Ons/Toolbars that IE7 doesn't like - have you got any installed / any similar ones installed. IEBlog : Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer?s (No Add-ons) Mode Release Notes for Internet Explorer 7 Might be worth trying to isolate one machine to try things one by one and see what cures the issue. Like you say it's probably a GPO or similar, I'm fairly interested in this as have been starting to roll out IE7 in a number of schools so I'll keep looking. If you find out please post, I don't want to have this problem myself!!
-
Also, If you've been to the machine and what they are saying is true, does it happen for other user profiles such as a pupil or admin. Worth trying it to find out. If the problem is machine specific you could uninstall reinstall IE 7, although I'd have a look in the local gpedit settings for internet before doing this. Maybe they are bringing up the About:tabs bit and not understanding it, set them up with a couple of default tabs for when they launch it?? Also Can they go to File | New Tab, or is that greyed out too?
