-
Posts
500 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by superfletch
-
Try this one (import it into SIMS and run it) - not sure if it is exactly what you need but worth a go... It should be a .rptdef file type but instead I had to rename it to .txt as rptdef is not a valid extension on the forum. Leavers - Free School Meals.txt
-
Batch file using the correct switches. dbAttach: Database Attachment, Restore & Backup Management Utility Parameters: /SERVER="ABCD" - ABCD is the name of the SQL Server to upgrade /DATABASE="ABCD" - ABCD is the name of the SIMS database on the server to upgrade. (Note that if not supplied the settings from the Connect.INI in the current directory will be used.) /USER="ABCD" - ABCD is the user name: SQL User for installations, Attach, Detach and Restore SIMS User name when used to backup with /BACKUP /PASSWORD="ABCD" - ABCD is the password for the user given /AUTO - If supplied, will attempt to perform specified operations automatically. If automation fails, the UI will be displayed. /NOBACKUP - If supplied no backup will be taken of the database, and if a problem occurs, no restore will be performed /BACKUP - Create a SIMS backup - also requires /USER, /PASSWORD, /DATABASE, /SERVER and /AUTO to be specified /AUTOATTACHMODE - Automatically Attach specified database - requires /USER, /PASSWORD, /DATABASE, /SERVER, /AUTO and /SOURCEDB /AUTODETACHMODE - Automatically Detach specified database - requires /USER, /PASSWORD, /DATABASE, /SERVER and /AUTO /PATH - Specifies a path for Basic Backup & Basic Restore. (Initiates Basic Backup Mode) /SOURCEDB - Specifies a path for use with /AUTOATTACH /RESTORE - Specifies Basic Restore Mode - Requires /PATH, /USER, /PASSWORD, /DATABASE, /SERVER and /AUTO. /OVERWRITE is required if the database exists. /OVERWRITE - Specifies that if a database exists when attempting to Restore, then attempt to overwrite the database.
-
Your "effective on" date (right hand side in your JPG) reads as 12/10/2009 where the childs record part of the JPG reads that the eligibility ceased sometime in September. The effective date doesn't seem to be set properly.
-
Use the crucial website as suggested earlier but ignore the system scanner and just enter the make/model of the machine and it'll usually work it out. If it does take 8Gb I'd have thought 4 x 2Gb Chips.
-
If you don't have other SQL Databases/Services that people connect to in use on the server running SIMS you could temporarily disable the SQL Browser Service on the server. This should stop new logins from happening, but I don't know how it deals with existing logins. I know it is possible to diable logins for selected users through the management studio and then re-enable them afterwards, don't ask me how as I don't know the exact route... I bet this could be scripted though - ie SQL Script that disables all but the sysman/sa users and another one that enables them all again after. If you try disabling the SQL Browser service then let me know if this works nicely as I don't have a live server to test on myself. Another approach might be to take your SQL Exceptions out of your firewall temporarily?? Any other ideas anybody as I'd love to know them...
-
I agree with all of these although not necessarily the order in which to do it, I'm quite a big fan of reinstalling the client components of a workstation early on! - ie Delete the C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net folder and rerun SIMSApplicationSetup.exe / SIMSManualSetup.exe / SIMSAmparkSetup.exe... On the SIMS going down when the internet goes down thing - Prior to the ??May?? upgrade the way in which .net framework implemented calls from the Client to an SQL Server changed slightly. Subsequently Capita had to make changes to the SIMS .net code as clients would automatically try to go through the proxy server - for those who use external proxy server this problem could be explained away by this change. Basically no access to proxy = no sims. This got sorted very quickly I hasten to add. Detaching and reattaching is a reliable routine but you should really move the DB inbetween. So: Backup SIMS DB Run DBAttach and Detach Database. Close DBAttach and Stop SQL Server Service. Cut and paste DB to elsewhere. Start SQL Server. Run DBAttach and Attach Database. Close DBAttach Restart SQL Server Also no one else has mentioned it here but keeping on top of cleaning out old SIMS Backups helps with general performance seeing that they typically encroach on the Partition the SQL Server is installed on. I suspect there are some fairly big DB's out there. Also See KB87878, from Capita - mostly happens to express installations but note there is a patch if you think you may be affected. http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websupport/RenderXSL.aspx?KB=KB87878.xmlFalse
-
Hiya have you experienced (or can you look for) any Event Log errors referring to *Memory Pressure*. It is related to the CLR integration thing. The fault will also be shown in the SQL Server logs. If so there is a patch but I only needed it once. [Edit] Can I ask what might seem like an odd question at this junction - if you have never had SIMS before but you don't have the August 08 installer then where are you getting your file structure (eg Setups folder etc) from? Also I'm guessing you must have some kind of existing MIS in place at the moment and seeing your conversational tone is not at all worried about your problem I'll ask - how long have you got before you have to install it? The November Installable release of SIMS will come complete with an SQL 2008 installer, potentially saving you the problem of migrating 2005 - 2008.
-
Seeing you used the CCSSQLExpress installer I don't think this should be an issue, I'll say it anyway though... could it be the authentication type (ie using Trusted instead of SQL based authentication). Old fixes are the best - have you detached and re-attached the SIMS database using SIMS DBAttach and logging in using your SQL Server SA user account?
-
He is right - and generally it does work pretty well... I think there is a patch for FMS, and there is also a specific 64 bit installer for SQL and its native client.
-
I worry about this sort of thing. I have a lot of day to day experience in particular fields such as AD U&C, AD GPMC, Hardware troubleshooting, SIMS and quite a few others but some of the really interesting and cool stuff I don't get to touch - it can't be good for the job prospects. VOIP, Thin Client, Virtualisation (on a proper scale), the list could go on a long time. Yes - it worries me.
-
I'd install it on the Server for the following reasons: Helps with troubleshooting - if you can connect on the Server it will most likely be a network/firewall issue that's been overlooked and giving you this problem. Good for upgrades - if SIMS Workstation is installed on the Server and you have agreed downtime to do your SIMS upgrades (not always possible) it makes it easy to check that the upgrade has worked successfully before deploying it to clients. If you have a problem you can rollback quickly. Are your workstations up to date with .net framework? [EDIT] Also make sure CLR is enabled in the SQL Server management Studio - can't remember the exact route for this though. Once this is enabled restart the SQL Server Service and (possibly) re-run SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe
-
You sound like you have done all the right things. If it can give you a username/password error it souns like it is connecting. Can a ping resolve the Name (not IP) of the Server. Is the SQL Server Browser Service running on the Server? Is there more than one instance of SQL Server on the Server somehow and you are trying to connect to the wrong one? Can you run the SIMS module up successfully on the Server itself?
-
You need to explain a little bit better. What exactly (other than an icon) is it that needs to be allocated to the users? Info about which program might help? Do you know how people get their desktops & Start Menus or what kind of profiles and redirection is in use? This would go at least some way to helping.
-
No idea - I'd love to know though, I'd have thought IIS is on it by default (maybe DNS role too) and I'd expect Firewall to be more configurable/robust too. Anyone??
-
Just read that matt. It explains it to some degree - and concisely, but (I guess case no one has explained it), it doesn't say why. The closest there is to an explanation on that page is this... WIKIPEDIA - "Intuitive understanding may be aided by considering the extreme case of HHH: If player 2 picks THH, and any coin flip lands tails, player 1 cannot win." Quite plain to me that sentence = odds are the coin wont land the same three times on the trot. It is called an extreme for a reason. I bet Derrin Brown has an MA in "Mumbo Jumbo".
-
Agreed - they were all buying it as well, given that none of them will remember what the numbers were one week to the next it leads the viewer to assume a lot of what Derrin Brown tells you about his TV show is True. To be honest he tells everyone a pile of what amounts to just junk. I know - such Horse crap isn't it, even if I thought the filming of the coins being tossed was real I'd still think "Deep Maths - he is a liar, what a load of b0110cks". We had a conversation about this in the office today - Some foolish chimp reckons her dad can regularly earn money by predicting the lottery week in week out, but needs to scrape together £200 first to set the wheels of this "lottery winning extravaganza" in motion. ITS CALLED A LOTTERY FOR A DAMN GOOD REASON /rant
-
That Derrin Brown thing has finished - I know jack all abot TV's - sorry mate, hope she didn't go too nutz!!
-
Depends what your IT dep't are like really, I'm in the same position. Like ZeroHour says: "since your local admin they have a certain amount of trust for you to run your own O/S to a point" I have Local Admin over my PC but messing around with something like this would be a big no no as far as my corporate IT support are concerned. Essentially it is their PC and their chosen solution, tell them straight up - "Look guys I could probably fix this myself but I respect the fact a networked Sophos is your chosen solution and don't want to interfere with it" If you balls up fixing it they sure wont be happy and your local admin status will go out the window.
-
Note "Connect.ini" not SIMS.ini in the previous posts. CommandTimeout=suitablylargenumberhere in the connect.ini does help with (unsurprisingly) timeout issues. Is it a PC or a user with the problem (or widespread)? Check for the application version number being correct on the problem PC. Try resetting the SIMS .net user account. Try a different windows account and same sims .net account. Try the user on a different PC. EDIT I agree with matt40K - decent workstation is a must for SIMS.
-
They're simply encouraging you to stay in the black aren't they... I have to agree the charges these institutions have come up with are disgraceful, in my view they are essentially saying - Dear Mr X. We at the bank can see that despite your best efforts you are having trouble making ends meet month to month so for each time you go overdrawn beyond an agreed means we will endeavour to charge you as much as we possibly can in order yo compound your current state of misery. ALSO - Why when I once had a large sum of money to bank do poxy bank managers think it is their god granted right to ask me fifty questions about where my money came from? The cash in question was when I banked some money from a savings account into my current account to buy my car! I hate banks - they represent an unnecessary evil in this world IMHO /rant
-
It doesn't say what virus it was anywhere does it? I'd bet it was Conficker - if so then the "IT Specialist" Councillor is right, heads should roll as this should have been patched ages ago. I work for an LA and we had a few schools go down with Conficker this summer - not nice for them at all and gladly they are all back up okay now (a good test for disaster recovery procedures ). However I can see how easy it can be for this kind of thing to happen on any network. Systems are very well patched and IT security is a high priority in our LA and schools all have their own autonomous LAN's. I can imagine in some LA's there could still be a very real risk even when most systems are patched due to the number of laptops that go away with workers and take forever to pop back up on the network having had no security updates or patching in between. The Journo says that in Private Enterprise someone would be sacked - the only reason this is different to Public Sector is because in Private Enterprise the Co would probably go under.
-
Check what GPResult tells you: Log on as a user who should get the redirection and run GPResult at the command line. Try to see if the policy is being applied properly or if it is being overriden by another policy etc. As far as being the folder owner is concerned you shouldn't need this but I'd expect NTFS permissions will need to be set that allow those users to read and execute the contents of the redirected folders. (you said you can browse to it anyway so this should be okay). Also - make sure the new policy has applied (gpupdate /force) I've seen this (local redirection) in use before for the same reason you mention (a shared folder being slow when used (accessed by a large number of users). When it works it is dead nice and will definately improve the speed problem.
-
New 2003 Setup Woes - Help !
superfletch replied to crazycucumber's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
You are right in that the IP range internally could be whatever you wanted but seing you have been given one to use you should take advantage of it. It "should" make it easier if in future if you need to make any outward facing machines. If you run the two lines below in a .bat script, they should change your network adapter (so long as it is called "Local Area Connection") to use DHCP for both IP Address and DNS. netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp Keep the Server IP address static. Gateway should be your router (so the .254 of the supplied range). The Server should be setup as a DNS Server for your domain, DNS on the Server should forward queries to the 10.15.48.4 & 5 addresses. -
New 2003 Setup Woes - Help !
superfletch replied to crazycucumber's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
You can get your definate IP range and I'd expect some setup guidance from your ISP. I'd make them your first port of call for any broadband queries before the LA. Depending on what kind of support your LA offer for school IT then there may or may not be some guidance notes available from them, or you may be able to buy a technicians time to help. In my experience a setup guide isn't something offered as standard because all schools implement their networks differently. You'll get good help from people on here, edugeek is indeed a lifeline but otherwise you're out on your own. Uncle Google is also your friend!! "I have a printer connected via USB , I have shared it but none of the other machines can see it." Does the Windows Firewall of the machine with the printer attached allow File and Printer Sharing? -
Your solution is definately the way I'd do it. Only other thing to consider may be: Do you have a mix of wireless types on laptops? (what I'm getting at is do your laptops vary between wireless A/B/G/n etc or are they all the same). If they are all the same it is nice and easy - if it is a mix and the AP supports multiple SSIDs then split the wireless types off into different SSID's where possible and make the A laptops connect to the A SSID and the B ones to the B SSID etc. Good luck
