-
Posts
500 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by superfletch
-
26th September. Just in time for school census!
-
I'm heading to Plymouth on a Stag do this weekend. My stag do. How did that happen!!
-
I'd agree with that (well the first bit) - not boring at all, a very well laid out, professional looking site, fit for purpose. This is an 8 year old who thought it was boring remember, and it doesn't look to me as though the schools pupils are the primary demographic the website is aimed at. I'd have said that was more parents, prospective parents, governors etc. Perhaps if you wanted to focus on making it cool and interesting for the pupils there could be a link at the top (alongside Home | Parents | Curriculum) which links to some more fun stuff based around what the school is doing within the classes at the time this way you can put in links to other websites that you know to be safe for kids? (perhaps in time link to VLE)? As mentioned in the quote, get the pupils to help out (maybe not quite as hands on as Speckytecky suggested) but certainly canvass them for opinions and input and get a feel for what they would like to have available from the school website. I think it is a well rounded looking website and does what it should at the moment.
-
I'd agree with that - everything does seem to have moved incredibly quick. Having only had a brief play with W7 I have to agree about the libraries functionality. The concept is well thought out and everyone here understands it, but explaining the idea to the luddites might prove tricky. Without the right tools it could prove a nightmare to manage - I'll look forward to seeing whats in 08 R2 to control it. I'd imagine something to "Redirect Doc's Library to X, pictures library to Y, disable music library etc" As for the betting on when W7 will go - I'll throw my hand in to say I reckon it will stick around for a while - especially if it cracks netbooks properly and becomes the default OS. I reckon it will be 2015 before an OS replacement from MS that really contends. (Assuming the *nix boys don't take over in that time). I'd like to know what people favourite/worst bits of W7 are? I like: The Snipping Tool, Being able to run it from a VHD, The quality desktop background photography and art, Homegroup, Customising the system tray. The default behaviour of the taskbar. The more finely tuned UAC. Security Centre. I don't like: Locally customising the Start Menu - preferred XP's management of this, The network and sharing centre, Not all of my apps work in 'compatibility mode', + XP mode won't help lower budget PC's.
-
Problem with batch backup or SIMS.net using DBAttach
superfletch replied to GreenICT's topic in MIS Systems
Shouldn't the Server part have read - Server_name\Instance_name? EDIT - Sorry just saw the age of this thread.... -
Hopefully with a hammer!
-
Did I dream this thread:- Resetting password from command line
superfletch replied to russdev's topic in MIS Systems
Obviously one instance of SQL Server can host multiple databases. If you wanted to change a user within the SIMS/FMS database itself you would have to specify the relevant database as well as the SQL Instance. Extending the commands nephilim demonstrated you could get into the SIMS/FMS database from the command line and change an individual users password If you had reset the SA password (as shown) then you should be able to connect to the SQL Server management studio, get into SIMS/FMS and then reset users password that way too. SIMS does let people reset their own password now during log in. -
[for sale] Small Form Dell (SX280) and 15" LCD Monitor
superfletch replied to superfletch's topic in Classified Adverts
I posted it really late - doh!! I will ensure to post anything I sell on ebay to edugeek early next time!! Gutted - I reckon a few folk here may have bid higher than the paltry 80 quid I've taken. -
[for sale] Small Form Dell (SX280) and 15" LCD Monitor
superfletch posted a topic in Classified Adverts
Hi all, Currently for sale on ebay - any takers?? Dell Optiplex SX280, 15" TFT + Mouse and Keyboard on eBay (end time 05-Jul-09 21:30:00 BST) -
That JML screw extractor looks awesome.
-
Terminal server solution, who to approach?
superfletch replied to maniac's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
A lot of Secondaries are starting to address this kind of agenda using Moodle and Joomla in the same way that many primaries are using Merlin or other sharepoint based calendar filling software. Cutter Project sound great, as does a WAN, VPN and Collaboration. Also many RBCs have their own offering - has anyone got a preference in how this model should run - (for a really good reason)? - email [email protected] -
When do you need something? I'm surprised your RBC or LA can't help??
-
How are you recording extra-curricular activities?
superfletch replied to pete's topic in MIS Systems
Do I get the impression someone went to the CCS SIMS Conference last week (I think extended services was promoted)? Anything else to think about for the future? I've heard we should start installing Silverlight on all the SIMs PCs - Anyone care to answer that?? -
Try a pair of pliers with a long nose (and a thin end). If you can use those to twist the screw or indeed hold it whilst you use a decent tool then you may be in business. Otherwise if the screws hold a panel to the main body of the laptop can you remove (or even break) the panel and replace the component then either buy or find another panel?
-
How are you recording extra-curricular activities?
superfletch replied to pete's topic in MIS Systems
Thanks Tony, As always I'm a big fan of SIMS (has anyone noticed yet) and its capabilities but sometimes it is really nice to see lateral thinking applied in order to make SIMS capable of being used for 'something else' on top of what it already does. If the teacher already uses AM and has good access- then it is easy for them to deal with this. @Pete - Do it... make them use SIMS more -
I had a little play with remote app a while ago and I can't point you in the direction of where to fix this problem exactly, but I remember there being some method of flagging an app to run as a remote app by default. Sounds like this has been enabled somehow?
-
Help.........e-safety policy needed!!
superfletch replied to elloyd69's topic in School ICT Policies
Nearly forgot!! Edugeek also has a wealth of information on it too: http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.php/School_Policies -
Help.........e-safety policy needed!!
superfletch replied to elloyd69's topic in School ICT Policies
RBC - South West Grid for Learning have absolutely loads on their website including a template and advice: South West Grid for Learning Trust - -
I've used this in a number of primaries and really liked it, free 30 day trial, and a range of supported hardware to backup to. Depends how complex your backup needs are really. >> BackupAssist Backup Software - backup software for Windows servers, tape backup software, exchange server backup, sql server backup, internet Rsync backup, image backup
-
+1 for SIMSLoad in a startup (not login) script. Combine it with simsperm and a security group (which you should have anyway) for it to work properly. Sometimes simsload doesn't do everything - particularly SIMSAMPARKSetup, if simsperm is run then end users won't have a problem if the program calls AMPARK when they try and access Assessment Manager.
-
Hi all, I thought this might be of help, it is not always necessary but if you have machines which won't connect to your FMS database and you've met all the other requirements then try this on your SIMS SQL server: Optimising SQL Server 1) Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager 2) Select SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration > Protocols for INSTANCE 3) Ensure Named Pipes is Enabled Close the |Surface area config manager 1) Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Surface Area Configuration 2) Select Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections 3) Expand the SQL Instance that hosts FMS from the left hand side and then expand the Database Engine node 4) Select Remote Connections 5) Ensure that Local and Remote connections are enabled for both TCP/IP and Named Pipes 6) Click Apply 7) Reboot the server
-
Thanks :-) - I'll try: Fresh Client install of FMS: There must be at least one printer installed, (for cheques an approved cheque printer should exist), The SQL Native Client must have been installed, Dot Net framework v2 + sp1 must be installed, (I'd have 3.5 on there too) Main user of the PC needs Full access to the Program Files\SIMS directories and all subdir's.** **Consider using setups\simsperm.bat Map network drive to the sims root share: If SIMS is not on the machine I'd recommend running SIMS\WSSetup\Setup1.exe to install the BDE, although you could probably run SIMSInfrastructure.exe (When installing the BDE, ALWAYS choose to install a Fresh Copy) Now run: \Setups\FMSApplicationSetup.exe (no need for FMSSQLApplicationSetup.exe here as it is only required on the SQL Server). Install to: Program Files\SIMS\Finance Once it is installed run it. When it opens you will have to login successfully before an FMSConnect.ini will be created. * You either need to point it at an existing FMSConnect.ini which you know to be good, or you can tell it to connect direct to the SQL Server using a local FMSConnect.ini, in which case you'll need to tell it Servername\instancename databasename *See the previous post about fmsconnect.ini
-
Hi Folks, Thanks for the quick replies. I've has a go at setting up a Smoothwall box before so I guess the principle is pretty similar with FreeNas. I've actually got a FreeNas CD burnt that I never ever used - didn't realise I could use it to manage the external stuff too though - that is great. Good idea about forwarding the VNC through the router - I'd assumed everything would run on the same port but thinking about it a bit more that doesn't have to be the case - nice one!! Also cheers for the offer of the NSLU2 - that looks like a decent bit of kit however I've already got some hardware that I want to run all this on. Otherwise it would indeed be an ideal answer... Thanks to al of you...
-
Migrate FMS to new Server. This assumes: You are running FMS in SQL 2005 on your old server, That SQL Server 2005 has already been installed on the new SIMS Server You have an up to date sims\setups directory including FMSInst.exe - if you haven't ask you LA to send you a new clean setups directory on CD. Run the transfer login command in a cmd window - shown below where FMS is the name of your FMS database. osql -S%computername%\sims2005 -E -n -Q"exec FMS.sims.db_p_transfer_login" Log into FMS on Old Server - make a "Transactions Backup" from Tools | Transaction Backup Now log into DBAttach (Really should be called DBManage Capita ) and make another backup of the database from there. Stop and disable the SQL Server on the old Box. Sideways copy the MDF and LDF of your FMS Database as well as the backups you made to the new server or a network location/USB etc that you can easily get to them on from the new server. Run FMSInst: At the Install Options dialog, select both checkboxes, to configure the server as both an FMS workstation as well as an FMS SQL Server. At the FMS Setups Directory dialog, ensure that the path is set to S:\SIMS\Setups (if you use S: as a mapped drive for SIMS) or the UNC path. At the FMS Workstation Settings dialog, set the FMS Applications Directory to *\Program Files\SIMS\FMSSQL. At the FMS SQL Server Settings dialog, from the dropdown box select the same SQL instance as for SIMS and leave the database name as FMS. Depending on your server configuration you may get several security warning dialog boxes as the installer launches its helper programs. Click ‘Run’ on each of them. FMSInst will launch dbattach in order that the transferred FMS database can be attached to the new SQL Server. First log in to the utility: • Check that the Server Name is correct. It should be the machine name, then a backslash, then the SQL server instance name. • Enter sa as the username and your ‘sa password’ for the password. • Click Connect. Next attach the database: • In the section Attach a Detached Database click the button with three dots on to bring up an Open dialog. • Navigate to the folder containing the detached database files from the old server. Select the FMS.mdf file. • Enter FMS in the Database Name field. • Click Attach. You should get a message saying The database FMS has been successfully attached to \mis. On closing dbattach you will get a dialog informing you that the installation has completed, click Finish to close the dialog. Setting up the FMSConnect.ini The ‘FMSConnect.ini’ file tells FMS which database it should connect to. This step will explain how to make a global or master FMSConnect.ini file that resides in the shared adsoft\sims directory and then how to make sure FMS Client machines use the connection information contained within that file. In Windows Explorer, navigate to S:\SIMS. If it does not already exist, create a text file called FMSConnect.ini. NB - (You may need to uncheck the ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ in ‘View Options’ in order for the file extension to be editable). Enter the following: [FMSConnection] Server=\ Database=FMS Trusted_Connection=No Save and close the file. To create a local FMSConnect.ini which redirects to the global or master FMSConnect.ini • Launch FMS (go to Start All Programs SIMS Applications FMSSQL SIMS FMS Module). • At the Locate FMS on your System dialog, ensure the I can access an FMSConnect.ini file at another location radio box is selected. • Click on the magnifying glass button, and select the S:\SIMS folder. • Choose OK The FMS login dialog will appear. In order for the local FMSConnect.ini which redirects to the central FMSConnect.ini to actually be created, a successful log in to FMS is required. Otherwise you will be asked to locate the ‘FMSConnect.ini’ again the next time FMS is launched. Client machines need to have a connect.ini that points at the new Server and Database.
-
Hi, I'm a relative newcomer to Linux, I've played around with desktop editions of Fedora, Ubuntu and Mandriva a little and had some limited success but I always seem to revert to type and end up going back to MS. However I'm trying to make my home network more use to me on the move as I travel quite a bit and would like to be able to access certain stuff at home when I'm in schools, offices training venues etc. To this end what I want to do is set up a decent Linux box that I can leave on when I'm away (or ring Mrs Superfletch and get her to switch it on) which will do the following for me: Act as storage for the home network - I guess I need Samba for this, Run a secure FTP Server that is set to start up with the OS so I can grab files from the home network anywhere, Accept and manage (route) VNC Connections from wherever I might be back to the correct PC in the house. What I'd really like is for a few people to point me in the direction of a decent Linux OS to do this with and recommend some applications to achieve this. I'm after an OS with a decent GUI and a reasonable user base for support. TIA, SF
