Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

the_quick

Members
  • Posts

    815
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by the_quick

  1. Same here. With using meet for classes and pupils, the problem still exists, that we cannot stop pupils joining when teacher already start a meeting. The best option would be to have control of the meeting. Like switch joining automatically off and on. It is there under Host options - "quick access" but switching it off doesn't do anything if the meeting doesn't have a nick name and you don't invite students directly. So to make people ask before they can join is to send them a link, but not invite them in the Google Meet directly - really weird how it works. I wonder if Education Enterprise has more options
  2. Thanks Paul, we have options for students to allow them video calling. I have disabled it, but apparently can take sometime before changes take place. Will check tomorrow again
  3. We asked for this to be unblocked, but possibly we will invite pupils and ask them to login with parent presents - parents evening are done with 3 participants anyway - teacher, pupil and parent. But we have another issue, despite switch off in host options "quick access" for some reason pupils and anyone in the organization can just join the meeting, without waiting to be admitted???
  4. We will be organising parents evening through a video calls, we hope to use Google Meet, but each time I tried to test it, with my hotmail account, after pressing join it redirect to Google Login page. I though that in G suite we can invite people outside gmail/g suite - or is this a paid feature? EDIT: For anyone with the same problem: Google stopped "anonymous" user to join meetings - so basically if person doesn't have a google account, they are anonymous. We had to ask Google Support to switch that off for us LINK
  5. Maybe they ment Word beating , like MS Word ?
  6. How can system that allegedly coste £12 billions, uses excel to transfer data, was it at least encrypted, password protected etc? What next? Notepad or maybe go directly to paper sticky notes. Incompetence of those people running it, is just staggering. In normal situation no one would accept it and blame it on "IT glitch". Who ever designed it, clearly had not a clue.
  7. We use Salamander for these. Started this year. And we have share of above problems: 1. Parent receive invitation to account we hold on sims, but accept it on a different account. This is usually cause by having to emails account opened on same browser, especially when it is Chrome and some is signed in with a Google account - this will take over. We just delete the guardian on one google classroom and this removes from all the classes in Google Classroom, adding to one class does the same in reverse - so not a big issue 2. We have seen some parents not receiving invitation when it went on mass, but they did when we did it manually. I wonder if hotmail start blocking google domain classroom.google.com - as it has seen lots of emails coming from this domain. 3. Some parents that have 2 children in our school don't see summaries for one of the children, after manually resending invitation it works 4. General problems with parents being bit confused.
  8. Most of our support staff now got involved in lunch and break duties. But not us. Working from home is not something that HT likes staff to do, despite many proofs it works really well. On another note, just got back from Covid test, started coughing at school this morning really badly almost constantly - HR said go home and book a test. So I did. Same day test, booked around 1 pm for test to take place 3pm. I could choose walk in test center or drive through one - this one was 61 miles away, walk in was 9 miles away. So I choose walk in, drove there, took me 5 minutes to find a parking, just to be told they do drive through tests as well ::doh. I was the only person there to get tested, lost of booths and staff around. Just checked now for test availability "We’re sorry. There are currently no tests available in your area". Will find out in 48h I feel like I have a cold and probably that what it is, but rules are rules.
  9. I have laid down that scenario, not in email but in person. Answer was : we will deal with that when we get there. For some reason on last few emails I do not get any response from HT to my my emails, but he talks to me if I catch him on a break duty. Apparently even business manager mention it to HT and she works with 3 other ladies in finance - not well ventilated office. My office has only skylight, almost no air movement unless strong winds, if it rains our desks would be soaked - no other windows. Office is big enough just to fit in 3 desks and space to get to them - we have a small attached office where keep spare computer parts, to narrow to fit in a desk - not ventilation either. I think I will email suggestions again, especially where cases are raising
  10. Lucky ! 3 of us in ICT Support office, offered HT solution - always 1 member works from home, on rotation - so if one of us catch covid, not the whole office has to close. It was turned down and still all 3 of us are always on site, wo go to classrooms when needed. Same with finance, 4 ladies, all share same office - not allowed working from home - why? Know one seem to know.
  11. Again problem with outsourcing to private company, instead of NHS. There are already glimpses what will be announced tonight. Pubs will shut at 10pm, only table service, groups no bigger than 6 (can be from 6 different households? ) and work from home if you can. Really not much change imho, I can't see how this is going to be effective enough.
  12. Those are rubbish, most people go to their local pub, and what time does it normally close? 2 pubs near me (E. Sussex) both close at 11 pm. And people meeting, it will still take place, as this rule will probably be ignored. How this can be even called lockdown?
  13. I think massive failure was just trust on people's common senses - problem with that it is just not that common. I work part time in a pub - I can tell you, people don't need much to start shaking hands and come closer to each other, than they should. I hate seeing people are just being blamed for raise in cases - when we were encourage to go to eat out, go to pubs, go to offices etc. Schools will start to play it part as well - today Patrick Vallance said that it spreads indoors, crowded area where there is poor ventilation - perfect description of a classrooms. We were told that teenagers can spread Covid as well as adults. Our principal is already planning for a lockdown or partial lockdown, I was asked to buy multiple webcams and we are trialing streaming lessons, in case half ot the class is not onsite.
  14. Most of our teacher desktops have attached 2 monitors and connected to a interactive TV on the wall - all together 3 outputs. Recently we noticed that some computers don't keep display settings set before, it is usually set to 22" monitor duplicated with TV and 19" monitor as extended desktop. Just now we had situation where settings change by itself to all 3 outputs were set as extended desktop. Sometimes we see that setting was changed on position monitors in display settings. It is bit random, as it doesn't happen all the time, very annoying. We didn't have problems like this before the summer, so I think possibly Windows updated GPU drivers automatically. We use mainly nvidia gt710 GPU. Anyone seen such behaviour and found a solution maybe?
  15. That's the problem, some test centres were doing test if people just showed up - I guess just to avoid confrontation. But these test will not be processed in time, so it was wasted. Maybe given capacity is the number of test kits, not how many test can be processed by the labs - that would explain a lot
  16. I never understand the phrase "covid secure" - how can place be covid secure - this indicate that you cannot get covid in place like that. But you can't really make any space 100% secure. What would my office covid secure? 3 of us, we sit more than 2 m apart but often move around the office etc - I guess we create a bubble. People still come to the office, sometime without mask, students still being sent to (by mistake as they shouldn't). The only think we do is open our office and use hand gel quite often. On another note, are there any rules, when school has to shut - how many pupils/staff have to be confirmed case?
  17. Mask wearing - all staff and students have to wear a masks if walking along the corridor. I had few member of staffing coming into my office and first things they do is take the mask off - I don't understand reasoning behind it, of course asked them to put it on back again.
  18. First school closed because of Covid-19 : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-54024750 That didn't take long
  19. We have first pupils coming back tomorrow, Y11 and Y7 - one way system clearly labeled on the floor and walls, each classroom has gel, wipes and tissues. Parents were told if they decided to come by car , they are not allowed to drive on to school grounds, but drops the kids somewhere near the school and walk rest of the way (I bet there still be parents who will ignore this). Today already noticed relaxation among the staff - 3 people chatting in one office, all from the separate offices, non were wearing masks or social distance. I can only look at the preparation in the way, that we are trying to minimize the risk, but there are plenty of opportunities to get infected. As always the biggest point of failure will be human beings not following the rules.
  20. Wearing a mask can be uncomfortable, but a ventilator more so... I met yesterday with a outside contractor, that I have very good relation, we very often just sit down, have a chat, tea and biscuits. He had contracted covid sometime ago (April) and he is more less alright but... When he got it he spent 10 days in a hospital, because his heart was barely working, to this day his heart is not right - he has to take a handful of pills now. In my eyes he is one least people, that would be so badly affected. Healthy chap, in his late 40ties, slim, physically active - all in all in good shape, no underlining conditions. I'm similar age and similar fitness - and now that got me really worried. So I welcome very much idea that kids have to wear masks in communal areas. No one knows how badly we will be affected if we get Covid, so I will do everything in my power not to get, stop it spreading and protect others with my actions. Masks in shops - in my local Lidl all members of staff wear a mask if they are in main shop area, stocking shelves and such, they take it off if they work at the till, as they have screens there. So far I saw one couple (customers) not wearing masks - young people, not sure maybe exempt - generally people do follow rules there. I really get annoyed with these arguments against wearing masks - this is to protect everyone, limit the spread of the virus and for most people it is for short period of time. Doctors wear them for hours, I never heard one complaining. Next we will start hearing arguments against seat belts in cars.
  21. 2 days in the whole year, when I'm absolutely forbidden to take holidays - day before and results day
  22. It mostly works now. Sometimes we have problem with attachments, but usually it sends after second try. Still not the best time
  23. Lovely, results day which we do mostly through digital means and Gmail doesn't work - sending doesn't work. And of course Y11 left it to last minutes to check if they can login to the system where they can check the results. Yesterday I received over 80 emails asking for login details. Today they can't send this request, so wonder how many will be calling us soon. Principal is not very happy.
  24. Hi Each PXE boot we do on same machine, will show same problem if we change NIC, multiple restarts do not change anything. Really weird problem
  25. Davit, switch is HP A5500 and always just 1 nic enabled jtotheb I will try that, need to ask my technician if he tried few times.
×
×
  • Create New...