Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Papercut MF are easily the market leaders - works with Active Directory and working with practically every photocopier manufacturer. There are multiple ways users can authenticate to retrieve jobs - including AD credentials, a PIN or a physical card/pass or indeed a combination. And as others have stated, a 'Follow Me' setup is the way to go, with pre-configured drivers in Black and White and Colour modes to control costs. 'Follow Me' for those that don't know - lets say you have two or more photocopiers. 'Follow Me' means end users print as normal, but their job is held in a virtual queue and can be retrieved from the nearest device or more crucially, the next working device if one is offline/being repaired. Other advantages of Papercut MF is the responsibility can be delegated to a member of Staff, who can authenticate using their AD credentials on an internally hosted webpage within your local network to manage credit balances. There's also no configuration on the driver required (by the end user) and it's impossible to bypass unlike some other solutions. It's also good for privacy, so you only see your jobs and not everyone else's; and it's also good for scheduled reporting - so in summary, other than the cost, there's no reason not to go with it
  2. The only change is the MenuItems7 GPP and GPP Files - change all from 'Replace' to 'Update'. And likewise the Deleted files, specify the action to run once. Other than that, it's 100% identical since I uploaded it in February.
  3. If you're talking about 'All Programs' this works, just as Windows 7 did. If you're talking about pinning Apps, some clever trickery is needed.
  4. When I said 'mess with the database', if the structure was left 'as is' it would make the transitions quicker/easier, as you'd literally be taking the database and moving it from an off site legacy setup to a cloud setup. But again, as for how many of those 20,000 customers will be left? It sounds potentially marvellous, but lets wait and see.
  5. That really depends - a native web application that works on any device would make sense. Having everything there (at your finger tips) would be advantageous, but the whole SIMS.net interface would have to be remodelled. It's not exactly touch screen friendly.
  6. Depending how you look at it, Capita don't necessarily need to 'mess' with the database. All major MIS providers use MS SQL as the back end, so it's more so the user application side that needs upgrading. The .NET element can all be done server side, but I suspect it's taking Capita long because (quite rightly) as others have stated, a lot of their components are well and truly up to their neck in Microsoft related technologies/protocols and to translate that into something like HTML5 is going to be a huge job. I also think other issues are making it run at a suitable speed. The requirements of SIMS.net are very high, using bags of memory, so it's not just a conversion but a whole re-write. Remember even the likes of an iPad Air only have 1GB of DDR3 memory, which is comparatively low compared to a modern PC.
  7. What's wrong with the HP 2530-48G - perfectly good L2 switch! I can understand the others as they're all 10/100 and much older.
  8. Just to confirm, no I'm not using Policy Central and NetSupport DNA - that'd be like running two AV applications on the same system; it's not advisable. You could also argue (in the context of Safeguarding), all schools in one large area (Birmingham) running the same software isn't always a good thing. I'm pretty sure like AV products, some are stronger than others in all areas concerned. I think also a lot of schools should start questioning the LA's decision making process, because it's not always necessarily the best product or the most affordable based on your requirements. As I say, I've looked at a lot of products, but for me NetSupport DNA has the edge in terms of deployment. Impero still requires .NET 3.5 which by default is switched off in Windows 10. I know a revised version based on .NET 4.x will be released at some point, but in saying that Windows 10's been out for a year now.. If you have specific questions/queries, query @Al_NetSupport - if he doesn't know, then no one does...
  9. Well you definitely need to configure them.. User and Computer GPOs otherwise you're probably seeing lots of UAC prompts which will be otherwise supressed using Point and Print Restrictions.
  10. Looking at specific details here I'd say I'm right, it probably is linked to Point and Print Restrictions, but also the likes of unsigned drivers. I know you can override it in 32Bit environments, not 100% sure in 64Bit but I know it's enforced by default.
  11. This looks like the same problem, be it Windows 7. I've deployed the July 2016 Windows 10 update and had no issues/reports of printer issues. I suspect it could be a security issue - relating to Point and Print Restrictions (if not configured).
  12. Without sounding negative, I don't quite understand why Capita won't share any information at all. I can only conclude it's because it's still years away, by which time (as others have already stated), Schools, Academies, MATs.. will all have moved to another product. SIMS.net was years overdue from the original and unfortunately it very much looks the case as with SIMS Online. Showing us something in 2017 tells me it'll be more like 2018 and the way schools are moving towards an Academy like status, I can't help but think Capita will miss a lot of opportunities. The only way forward with a MAT like setup is cloud based, it makes no financial or operational sense to continue using legacy software as more Staff are hotdesking across different associate locations.
  13. The BGfL of course implement core web filtering, so from that perspective you're covered, so it's more so keyword filtering that you're after. Yes, Policy Central does this, but as to whether it's any good or simple to deploy is a different matter. I've started to use NetSupport DNA and it will do everything you require and is a lot more cost effective. You'll also be able to install it onto your existing server, it has no special requirements.
  14. The only time any version of Windows does this, is if it can't resolve DNS Server 1, hence it tries to resolve to DNS Server 2 and so on. I've not had this issue at any sites, so I can only presume there's a gremlin in your network somewhere. If you manually configure a client to force it to communicate with DNS Server 1 (and it fails), I'd suggest this is where you investigate first.
  15. This sounds like a rogue DNS server/router or possibly a VLAN issue.
  16. Complete with Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition!
  17. I still have an original NES all boxed in my loft Probably worth a small fortune now!
  18. What I meant though is this is the sort of thing Nintendo should release to the App/Play Store - Smart phones are plenty powerful.
  19. I can't help but think Nintendo could easily emulate these games using software, rather than selling a mini NES. Nice idea though, but why they didn't just include the hundreds of games released for it? I also can't help but notice it supports HDMI, yet has awful looking controller ports... why didn't they just use USB, it would have looked far more elegant!?
  20. Create a Profile$ share, then specify the path in AD for that user - \\Servername\Profiles$\username (don't add .v5 or .v6), leave the extension blank. If you mean a mandatory profile, you need to copy the default profile first (within Windows 10) to the Profiles$ share.
  21. Makes you wonder what exactly are the differences between v5 and v6 - lets just hope that doesn't mean they'll be absolutely massive!
  22. You don't 'need' AC to answer your question - most newer Toshiba notebooks for example come with Dual Band cards, so they'll work with all a/b/g/n/ac standards, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz - b/g/n working in 2.4GHz and a/n/ac operating in 5GHz. To give you an idea, only the newest iPad Air 2 has an AC Adapter - all older iPads (version 2 and later) have Dual Band a/b/g/n adapters, so buying AC Access Points is only going to benefit the few and not the many. Don't get me wrong, if I was starting again as new or putting in new equipment, I would possibly think about AC (depending on the price), however many devices don't use the full capability of wireless n operating at a maximum 300Mbps as it is.
  23. For Windows 10, simply search for 3174060 in WSUS and Approve. That's it
  24. I have to agree, in the context of a server LTSB is the only option, if Windows 10 'upgrades' are anything to go by. I can't see how CBB is going to work realistically. It wouldn't be so bad if it could be done dynamically (without a reboot), but isn't something Microsoft have got right yet.
  25. Hello all, I've deployed some fonts, but according to the supplier 'Use Contextual Alternates' needs to be enabled, however interestingly, every time I close/open Word, the setting is unticked. This is located by pressing CTRL + D, Advanced, then ticking it towards the bottom and pressing OK. I've also explored Regedits and the Office Resource Kit (which I already use), and cannot find anything. Any help would be much appreciated, otherwise users will have to enable this every time!
×
×
  • Create New...