-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
I agree that restarting Facility and e-Portal services addresses a lot of issues.
-
MIS Performance for generating large (300K+) row Reports
Michael replied to RootsSchImp's topic in MIS Systems
I have to agree with others - MIS system or not, querying any database system for 300,000 entries is abnormally large. Chances are, a SIMS backup is run every evening and all cloud MIS providers (to the best of my knowledge) perform backups their end too. -
Why not use the timeout to password lock the Windows screensaver? This shouldn't just apply to SIMS, it should apply to any application which could contain sensitive information.
-
Outlook and Office 365 Web Email (syncing issues)
Michael replied to BFCIT's topic in Cloud Services
OWA makes perfect sense to be honest, as most of the functionality is there compared to the fat version of Outlook. -
Express downloads still have full and delta (equivalent). I can't really understand the difference at this point.
-
Outlook and Office 365 Web Email (syncing issues)
Michael replied to BFCIT's topic in Cloud Services
I've seen similar behaviour in the past with random e-mails missing. Updating to Outlook 2016 resolves the issue. -
Hi all, For those of you who are using Unifi switches as part of a bigger intranet... do you have a Unifi Security Gateway Pro per major site, or do you use a single Unifi Security Gateway Pro at the core for all subnets and configure all VLANs from this single L3 device? Logically I'm thinking a Unifi Security Gateway Pro per site would offer more flexibility in terms of VLAN configuration (per site), but what are your thoughts? Thanks!
-
Birmingham council and bgfl network Down
Michael replied to stevenlong1985's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Transparent proxy issue is now fixed. -
Logically it should be faster - smaller download and consequently quicker install time. If there were no difference, they'd be no benefit. As I say, I don't see it necessary to deploy every update. I chose the September CU as it addresses a lot of vulnerabilities, including a zero day (included in the notes), but also the May CU update was of course 5 months ago, which is quite a long time in the context of IT.
-
You have two choices - Either deploy monthly Delta updates (for example): May, June, July, August, September - You couldn't do May, June, July, September. Alternatively deploy the full updates, so for example I deployed the full May 2017 update and recently the September 2017 update. If you read the notes, you can make a decision based on whether it's necessary to deploy an update or not.
-
Birmingham council and bgfl network Down
Michael replied to stevenlong1985's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
There are still issues with the transparent proxy however. I have it in every school where one computer will connect transparently, yet another won't (and it worked fine yesterday). This gives the impression connectivity is still down for end users. Manually specify proxy settings - eduproxy.bgfl.org:80 resolves the issue for select users. -
Birmingham council and bgfl network Down
Michael replied to stevenlong1985's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It's back online as from 10am for all sites. -
Hi all, Soon I'll be undergoing a project to migrate from a HP B140i software RAID to a HP P440/4GB hardware RAID on a Gen9 server. Question is (according to the specs), is that it's possible to migrate the existing RAID without destroying or re-building it, but I'm not entirely clear how. By shutting down the server, installing the P440/4GB RAID card, powering back up and installing drivers I'm clear on; but it's the swapping of the cables I'm unsure about after a second shutdown. Once swapping/replacing the cables from the onboard SATA controller with the relevant SAS/SATA cable and plugging into the P440/4GB, will the Intelligent Provisioning BIOS do all the work? I can't seem to find any specific instructions online what the correct procedure is (short of contacting HP), but thought I'd post here first. Thanks!
-
Cables & Crimping - What am I doing wrong?
Michael replied to BentleyMiller86's topic in Wired Networks
But you would be paying something for them to run the cable in the first place. Professionals terminating cables for a living would take a matter of minutes to terminate and test a cable. -
OneDrive's due to have a big upgrade later this year, so this kind of thing may very well be possible. I've had numerous requests for the same thing, but when looking at limitations it instantly puts myself and end users off. Unfortunately Microsoft give you a wealth of space to work with, but it's all about what you can do with it. You can't have one and not the other. It wasn't that long ago (with OneDrive for Business), that you couldn't download multiple files/folders at once, yet you could upload multiple by drag and drop!
-
RAID 1 (2 x 300GB for OS) and RAID 5 (4 x 2TB for Data). Alternatively 3 x RAID 1's, but the above is generally recommended.
-
Cables & Crimping - What am I doing wrong?
Michael replied to BentleyMiller86's topic in Wired Networks
Sorry to change the subject, but I wouldn't even entertain the idea of terminating myself if someone else installs the cabling. If there's an issue, they'll just redirect the problem back to yourself (in terms of warranty). Any network cabling should be installed, terminated and tested by the same provider and the results e-mailed to you (from a Fluke tester). This is certainly the case with an electrician - they install the cabling and terminate socket and consumer unit end for you, then sign it off as working. Data cabling should be treated exactly the same. -
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
Michael replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
I suspect in a latter/newer version of Windows 10 'real' profile removal will be possible, but as far as I can tell you can't block or stop the process be it local or roaming. In my experience (as it currently stands), a typical mandatory profile for pupils allows them to login between 20 seconds and a minute max. I think a lot of it comes from the speed of a network and speed of the computer - SSD vs. HDD which makes all the difference. I'm pleased you've made huge steps to a native Start Menu setup though... but as I said in another discussion, it's just unfortunate it's taken Microsoft four Windows revisions to get it somewhere near working. -
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
Michael replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
That only hides the animation. It doesn't disable or change profile creation. -
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
Michael replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
Step 2 as described here is basically the equivalent of creating the Profiles$ share with special permissions, so UE-V data is still 'roaming' in that respect. Also (what's unclear), how do you disable Microsoft Account settings synchronisation and roaming profiles? How does this affect users who use cached credentials - working from home for example? UE-V talks about applications, but what about users wanting to create printing profiles? This is typically saved to the roaming profile and not the user home directory. -
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
Michael replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
So how are you guys getting round the issue of profile creation every time on a new device? It's OK if said user logs onto a single device regularly. -
[1703, cu] Successfully deploying Start Menus in Windows 10 v1703
Michael replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows 10
I can't see how not using roaming or mandatory profiles are viable, bearing in mind said user (child or adult), could use a different machine every day. -
Automatic Net Framework 3.5 install on Windows 10 1703
Michael replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
You enable it (.NET 3.5) manually, run Sysprep and then capture using your imaging tool. Likewise with Windows 7, you may choose to install .NET 4.5, 4.6 or maybe 4.7, run Sysprep and then capture using your imaging tool. -
I'm just amazed how it's still going and that it's only taken Microsoft four Windows revisions to get it right. I must admit, I still haven't revisited the new Start Menu simply because Classic Shell works brilliantly no matter how you look at it!
-
Automatic Net Framework 3.5 install on Windows 10 1703
Michael replied to CommodoreS's topic in Windows 10
Not using MDT, but enabling it before image capture works absolutely fine.
