-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
Just unshare it. If something stops, re-share it.
-
In the context of SIMS, I see no other solution other than a screen timeout. In the context of browser based MIS solutions (such as Bromcom), as standard they have a strict timeout policy. This can be tweaked per user, depending on their role, so it isn't a one size fits all. You can also enforce password requirements (like you can in AD to your requirements). I don't believe the password requirements are as flexible in SIMS or customisable for that matter.
-
Is it possible an application or a service of some kind is using the directory, hence why it cannot be renamed, moved or deleted as it's in use?
-
I've bought packs of 5 recently UAP-AC-Pro which work with PoE (not all the models do) - all really easy to configure, despite some Staff thinking they're smoke alarms They look pretty smart ceiling mounted on a tile, you can barely see them!
-
Try renaming the folder paths shorter. I wonder if you're hitting the 256 character limit?
-
Thanks for the heads up. I agree Full and Delta updates should have different KB numbers but they don't. I have seen Delta updates 'offered' to machines previously, but then fail as they're not at the correct Patch level (one month prior). It's something Microsoft need to address. To be honest, there's nothing amazing about the October update, so I plan on leaving all schools I manage on the September update for now.
-
I believe someone else reported on here that the latest crop of Office updates breaks SIMS reports.
-
EduGeek blocked by Filtering
Michael replied to andy_b's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
Indeed can confirm it's working here too. I think it was either human error or maybe they've isolated it to the specific URL as I speculated in my previous message. -
EduGeek blocked by Filtering
Michael replied to andy_b's topic in Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL)
This is a tricky situation to gauge, however I'm sure we'd have seen this problem more often if filtering companies treat all websites the same (coming from the same public IPs). If a threat has been detected, then it surely should be possible to identify the specific URL which is the source, rather than block everything from said IPs. -
The alternative of course is to include it as part of your base image. It's how I do it generally speaking and is 'cleaner' than uninstalling older versions of Office.
-
HDMI Sound dropping are splitters the problem
Michael replied to pixellip's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Do they have the option to be mains powered? -
HDMI Sound dropping are splitters the problem
Michael replied to pixellip's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Are the HDMI splitters powered or not? -
The built in Windows drivers are not always necessarily the best in my experience.
-
Wondering if this is a driver issue, rather than anything you've done to be honest.
-
I don't have one of these boards, but as an outsider what's the common thing - The PCs will be different, as will the OS and patches, so chances are it's a board or controller firmware as speculated; unless it's something that can be fixed within the application (on the PC), powering the board.
-
It is very easy to set Power Options via GPP (rather than manually), which should resolve any power related issues. The other possibility is the USB ports themselves sleeping, rather than than the whole system going into Standby mode.
-
GDPR Responsibility in your school
Michael replied to prad-ucs's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
I predict that GDPR will be that massive, it'll require someone new to be employed or co-employed with other establishments. To log every transaction and how it's processed (physical or digital), it's a huge job that will constantly change. -
48 every time, 24 rarely (such as an end point cab). As others have pointed out, there isn't (to the best of my knowledge), a 24 port switch with SFP+
-
The point is, if other companies can offer this functionality for free, why can't Capita? Schools are already paying a healthy amount on the MIS itself. It's like buying a car, and charging drivers extra to put it in reverse.
-
That is somewhat mis-leading though. If a school buy into a company made product (targeted at schools), they are indirectly paying for it.
-
All I will say is other MIS systems do offer full API access for free, you typically just need to register. There's no real justification charging £2.5K a year.
-
Yes the UPN. You are right, as I was thinking of the FQDN. [email protected]
-
As above, the DNS Suffix (per user in AD), needs to be set. You can easily do this in bulk in AD. Secondly the ProxyAddresses attribute needs to be populated. If you search Edugeek, I created a script that will automate this for you.
-
DNS performance issues with secondary domain controller
Michael replied to mikkydoos's topic in Windows Server 2012
I presume both servers are patched? The September '17 updates are absolutely fine. The other possibility are VLANs or some other configuration? Are you using teamed NICs? -
MIS Performance for generating large (300K+) row Reports
Michael replied to RootsSchImp's topic in MIS Systems
I'd say breaking it down per school would be more practical. Even better you could schedule it out of hours to generate (where possible). Some systems offer such function and others don't. 20 x smaller reports in theory should run faster than 1 x massive report for example.
