Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. Further down on the screen shot you have the copy function then right click and paste, it's far easier. You have to point your mouse at the top level of that structure to past the copied GPO.
  2. Depends on which server your on but on 2003 go to the group policy container (the place where they acually are rather than linked from) right click it and select copy then paste, it will copy it with a slightly different file name automatically. Then link it to the OU where you are testing.
  3. You can use something called DJVU.
  4. You can do this using group policy preferences as I did it in my last job, but can't exactly remember exactly how to do it. I think it is an option somewhere in GPP. Here is a link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754824.aspx
  5. I did a migrate away from CC in 2003 or 2006, can't exactly remember which year it was but I did the fresh install method. Basically setup our new servers vanilla style and copied user areas and public documents onto the new servers. Seem to remember using a microsoft export/importer for user accounts, but anyway took no longer than four weeks for the network to be up and running and machines imaged. The longest part was transferring user docs and public docs, it could also be a good time to test a restore of your backup system. We also had to create a lot of MSI's but thats becoming less of an issue these days.
  6. I used wirelessconfig app on XP but when we went to 7 you can export and import the wireless settings and specified key using the command netsh wlan add profile and deploy it via a startup script or GP.
  7. I think the distiction between SA and EA is that EA is more to do with Enterpriise networks, meaning you will have multiple sites either nationally or internationally. Sa being for a smaller one site setup.
  8. Thanks guy's, found it where you said it was.
  9. Just set up MRBS room booking system, can anyone tell me how you change the text in the top left corner "Meeting Room Booking System" which is also a URL. I would like it to be something like Classroom Booking System. Cnt't find any reference to it in any of the config or php files. Thanks
  10. It's a carbon based error
  11. You could also rollout win7 with just WDS and WAIK, thats what we do here, win 7 is very kind on different machine types, we have one image that does the lot. You need to inject a few drivers into the image from time to time but thats about it.
  12. I setup SCCM a while ago for testing purposes and was getting the same sort of error. Was due to not having a recognisable boot image which I used from a standard win7 installation cd. Once I imported the boot image which comes with WAIK it worked fine. Maybe SCCM/WDS is not seeing the boot image, it may have been moved since your guy left. Did not go near the native mode as certificate setup for me is a nightmare so can't help you on that one.
  13. Can we have a link tho the download for ADMan.
  14. When we made the move from RM Connect to vanilla we just kept the same type of public docs folder structure, read staff write staff, and same for pupils. User documents are grouped by intake years and staff are basically staff and admin. We now use local profiles so we dont have all the problems associated with roaming profiles.
  15. Try the same batch file in a computer startup script, not the user startup.
  16. You can download joulometer from Microsoft. With the right calibration it will do what you want. I installed it a while ago on some of our desktops to see what the overall consuption was over a few weeks with different power saving mode policies.
  17. If they have changed the mobo and disk then I can't think what else it could be, only thing it could be is a faulty batch of hard disks, or the particular user is getting reinfected with a virus that screws the boot sector or files.
  18. Wow, amazing site, comes down no bother on my 16mb sky broadband. Did not realise there was so many stages to the mission. I seem to remember watching it on black and white TV at the time, yes I am that old
  19. I must admit we don't run the local firewall either. Have experimented with turning it on but ran in to all sorts of connection issues for apps, we have hundreds here and the thought of applying exceptions to them all is daunting, maybe this is bad practice but we have only been hit with two major viruses, blaster and conficker. Blaster was a bit of a sod to remove but conficker less so and they don't happen that often. But in win 7 and 2008 I think you can allow certain machines/servers to be fully trusted and have all ports open so may have another go since we have moved to 2008 and 7 clients.
  20. Been a NM in a school for 11 years and for the last 5 years have had itchy feet. There is nowhere for me to go upwards apart from go into private sector, contract or permanent. My life is a little complicated as I married late (48) I'm now 50 and have two very small children (probably not the best thing to do) but hey life is very diverse and I started late. Ideally I would like to go contracting but realise it's a cut throat world out there and ageism especially in the contracting world is rife. But what do I do, wait for the cuts to happen and get made redundant or make an effort now. I have spent the last year getting MCITP certified and think I have some very good and diverse skills that can interest an employer. If all else fails I have a cert ed which I can use to enter the training market, but thats not really where I want to go as I find it a bit boring, would far rather be at a technical level troubleshooting problems.
  21. According to one website its the ability for some bios's to load their settings into ram to produce faster boot up times. In the bios its called bios shadowing. System BIOS Cacheable Apologies did not read the earlier post.
  22. I did it the demote dc02 method and fresh install, worked ok but you must transfer all the roles to dc01 before demotion. I also had dns on both servers and when DC02 came online dns server 2003 would not talk to dns server 08, was not a complete disaster as things still seemed to work but it was worrying, I did not go into in any great depth as I was planning to flatten the the remaining 2003 anyway by reverse methods. Just a heads up on a possible problem going this route.
  23. I can't beleive it's that strict on the financial side as my mate has been racked with debt most of his life, even declared bankrupt at one stage. I don't have any big debts apart from 2k on a credit card which is only because I paid a bank loan off with a credit card to take advantage of 2 years no interest, no more bank loans for me when you can juggle debt around on credits cards at no interest. Saying that I do have a few skeletons in the cupboard from my teenage tearaway years
  24. According to one of the websites someone with MCITP should be able to command on average £280 quid a day, I would say if I was to take the jump it would have to be for a 6 month contract. But even in a contract for six months they can fire you at a moments notice, project failure or lack of funds. like mtdmitchell says I am also hitting a brick wall, cannot go any further in my position and the excitement of the contracting game is beckoning. My mate runs a training company and some of that is with the Mod and I do the odd bit of IT for his company, I have asked if he can get me security clearance so I can apply to those juicy MoD contracts
  25. I am currently a network manager in a school, been there 11 years and have brought the network through transitions from windows 3.11/98/xp and finally to 7. Similar scenario with server OS's. I'm pretty good all round technically and have gained MCITP certs but feeling I have reached a dead end in respect of career advancement and salary. I have been considering the IT contracting route but obviously the jump from a decent yearly salary to contracting and it's uncertainty is a bit frightening. Just wondering if there are any contractors on these forums and any advice you could offer.
×
×
  • Create New...