Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Always time for you mate lol I doubt you cud get me for niwt tho - u'd have to speak to dafydd/head. You know I'd be up for it Later, N.
  2. I've never seen it in PMP, but then again, I guess I havent looked lol I'll be lookin at the office adm's some point this hol - to further tighten the GP - so will keep it in mind (someone's bound to beat me to this one lol but I shall look ) Nath
  3. Ah - was gonna beat you to it [splitting topic] - only I'm not a mod on that board lol (i think :S) lol I'm not dumping my phone! lol Dont worry - I dont make outgoing calls for work or anything lol But it dont cost me to receive calls naturally. Just a few txt's here and there Nath.
  4. I really cant work out DNS lol but managed to setup the dns' here ok - not sure how but it all works for me (touch wood) Event Viewer is your friend ppl (good point guys - knew I've forgot something lol) Cheers Nath
  5. It could be It also be spyware or being hit from another pc thats zombiefied/infected with spyware/nasties. Have you checked the cabling to the switch from the computer and is it when there are loads logging onto the system (at the same time) and this one sorta gets "left behind" regarding priority? Just a few things to think about there Nath
  6. Good point ric (soz, didnt notice the replt again lol) Well I;ve got the trial unit so after friday (when i get assistance from powys) I shall attempt what you suggest Cheers Nath
  7. nice site (tho the article aint of interest to me really) - looks good for loadsa info on exchange [2.32am - thats not late night lol ;)] Regards Nath
  8. Seems alot of us have a mutual problem with this. Is there any way we can get the heads and SMT's to "wake up and smell the coffee" regarding this? I keep moaning at them and once, long ago, the deputy/ict co gave the teachers "as a whole" a telling-off regarding allowing the pupils to "roam-free" (mis-using the equipment and fiddling with the backs of the computers) and not stop them from doing it. I was quite impressed and I'm sure i wasnt particularly everyone's favourite member of staff after that for a while but it was all short lived unfortunately Again, its the newer staff that dont seem to have a "iron fist" with preventing them doing stuff and it drives me crazy. End of the day it isnt our job to tell the pupils off, thats part of the teachers job isn't? (sorry if I'm wrong here hehe) We certainly shouldn't need to do this I would have thought. I've been wonderng whether a name-and-shame process might be useful in that if a IT techie notices a teacher not prevent a pupil, say, fiddle with the back of the computer, or allowing them to swivel monitors about or bash the keyboard/mouse about, then its noted down and shown to the head/head of ICT, with intent that they are told about it in a staff meeting. I think everyone will pretty quickly stop the pupils from damaging equipment then. 'Tis only a thought tho - no flaming me pls /rant over Regarding getting hold of me, I tell the suppliers/external contacts to call my (personal) mobile as I dont have a phone in my room, or any school mobile that I can use. It just annoys me that when the school call me, they leave a voice message which ends up costing me something like 50p/m which I have to listen to as the mobile keeps calling me to tell me its there lol Cheers Nath
  9. Free help mate... You'd be lucky lol Nath
  10. Indeed Pease let me know via PM if any of the links change, so I can update them Ta, N.
  11. @Alexknight: Welcome to the forum here and hope you enjoy it @all: I must running a tidy ship as I was off work for 5 weeks following a hernia op, and the new pc suite I made from scratch (which I'll post some piccy of) maybe a bit on the cheap side, but it stood the test of time and they were all working without any IT user intervention while i was away It pays to lock the pc's outta the way of the kids and lock down the AD by GP I guess lol Regards Nath
  12. I myself got asked why I needed to hold onto a laptop that I had wiped and setup again, as I told the teacher I needed to hang on to it to "try something out with it". She asked "what?" and I was about to start explaining and then decided to say "Well, are you gonna understand if I try and explain it to you?" and she said "no, probably not. Its ok. Keep the laptop for a bit" lmao I doubt I could have explained that I needed to use it, along with another computer, to try and test out a VPN/Firewall router using multiple IP ranges and testing connectivity between them.... etc Hell, I hardly understand it myself yet lol Nath
  13. No problemo Not a dig at DB, but easier to have links that a download as if the .adm tempaltes get updated, moved, etc. the links should show it or redirect you Cheers Nath
  14. lol I agree - nothing is done here to prevent vandalism, thus cctv in computer rooms are a must in future i'd think Nath.
  15. I'll be trying something this week or next so stay tuned Nath
  16. Think its about £32 thru our county's select agreement. As this is a open (viewable) forum by anyone, I cant post the exact price (apparently its not allowed). Cheers, Nath
  17. I wish we cud enforce that somehow too you know Seems as if they can mess around as much as they like sometimes and certain individuals dont bother to do anything to stop them :( Nath
  18. sticky'd thread for new folk to see before posting something similar Also as its a question many ppl have I think too Nath.
  19. Hi there neilenormal - welcome to the site We have had this discussion before @ http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4 I'm not sure if your suggestion has been mentioned on that thread or not but you may like to add it to there and we could then remove this thread Regards Nath
  20. I know there is at least one school with MS School's Agreement in Powys, but I cant remember who as I "dont think" we see them at the powys IT meetings we (hardly) have (they probably dont need to talk about any software/OS stuff as it will be covered lol but still....) I had a blast with OpenOffice and thought that it was nice, showed the ICT co-ordinator and was impressed until he tried doing something in Excel and it didnt work at all... =SUM(D4:E4) He said - no good lol and I tend to agree as (at that time there was) no Access-style program which he teaches the pupils. He made a good point that if everyone is used to the MS office stuff and OpenOffice appears the same but does things differently, teachers wont want to use it as they'll have to spend "ages" learning how to use that etc.... Rather pay for something we know - it may cost a bit (about £30 I think with us) but just dont buy as much or get more cash lol Cheers Nath
  21. Big on AMD for home (like Geoff) but I have always used Intel ones in servers (Xeon now - Pentium II 5 years ago) and premade desktops like HP, Fujitsu, etc (pentium 4). AMD (Duron 3 years ago - Athlon XP up to a little while back - Athlon 64 for future) for desktops I've built for school/outside work. Have avoided Celeron based machines until this year as they perform well enough for what kids need to do (people managed to sway my opinion on it, as did the price lol). Ta Nath
  22. er... not really lol http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/index.shtml N.
  23. Looks like VB6 becoming a clear winner here lol Should we put a Poll on the thread for this - to choose which lang? Nath.
  24. Hi all Thought I'd start a thread on Final Fantasy XI (or indeed other FF games if needs be). For those of you that are interested, here are my cur stats and info: [stats edit: 13-03-07 ] World: Laksumi Handle: Tarquel (no way!!! lol) LinkShell: NewBreed (http://www.newbreedls.net/) Main job: RDM Sub job: WHM Jobs unlocked: BRD, SMN, PLD, BST, NIN, COR, BLU Job Levels: RDM 68 / WHM 38 / BLM 34 / COR 16 / SMN 20 / BRD 15 / PLD 8 / THF 15 Job AF: RDM [Full] http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/tarquel.png (send me a message - would be good to play along side a fellow IT person in the UK the LS i'm in, is in need of UK members - to join me at suitable hours so I dont have to use matchsticks the next day at work lol) Send me a tell ppl Cheers, Nath
  25. Adam - take a look at TYPO3 (its what Powys use for their site now). If you can setup the linux server to take its requirements, its well managable and basically damn good. You can make (like alot of CMS') different users have different permissions, make content testable first before publishing, really lock down what you want to happen, and tons more. ...can anyone tell I was impressed by it when I saw it? lol... http://typo3.org/ You can still write your code and custom content to plugin to it too Cheers (and change my name pls ) Nath
×
×
  • Create New...