Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. [no publisher rantingnow people - we have a new thread for that lol] Is it a skin you've made kgcs? Nath
  2. Emails? ....from "real" people? I dont get emails anymore - not real people ones :cries: Nath
  3. /me not liking big pub files (lol I started something off there didn't I?) Pub 2003 saves them well small in comparison (thank god lol) Nath
  4. lol indeed - i still have to use them atm tho N.
  5. as am I ..... Would be nice (if there isn't any already) to get some uni it folk on the forum to hear their point of view on things in their establishments and environment I'd love to get a job in networking / server admin / etc in a uni - must be good pay and a challenge to boot aberystwyth uni - if you're looking.... ;) Cheers, N.
  6. lol indeed Have you been into the properties of nview? surely there is a setting there to solve the prob. Not everything is always available in the system tray icon. N.
  7. Alas I have radeon (here at home) and we only use the laptop dual dsplay - hardware style or projectors in classrooms with monitor splitters so not sure how much i can help here... hmmm... N.
  8. excellent news - thanks Geoff N.
  9. Ah ha - didn't notice these replies *mutters 'shoddy forum' * [jokin] Hope theres one for 2003 - shall look later.. Citrix - bah! @ mark Nath
  10. Balls I say lol [with no disrespect meant] If they need to rip music for coursework, then they could ask a specific teacher or you could have one pc's setup with CD-ROM access and disable the others to all pupils at least. Hows that? Nath
  11. Oooops lol [yes - I've only learnt about this from mark and another bloke in powys btw] I thought it was for specific computer identifying i.e. 20 pc's in a room. I want one of those PC's to map a printer but not the others. Thought I could use both the Room and client variable to specify this sorta thing I would also like to add some way of basing it on user too - I'm sure it is fairly obvious (i.e. different scripts for different users etc but just simply right now...). Cheers Nath PS @ mark: Wynn just left a message of my phone wondering why he couldnt connect to the admin server - to quote "Can you think of a reason why that is?" ....lol I can... Its because the server isn't on lol ;)
  12. Indeed... WMP 9 = WMA only (minus plugin's) WMP10 = WMA & mp3 Logoff script sounds good but how do you determine what is and isnt legit music files on the network? They may have a mp3 as a song being played throughout a powerpoint presentation for example which is 5-6MB long but without us knowing, it looks like its jsut been ripped. This is one of the reasons [ripping music to H drive] why I dont allow access to the cd-rom drives ;) and dont have this problem really. Super big publisher and powerpoint files are eating up the space tho lol Cheers, N.
  13. But if thats to confusing for you (as you havent done VB scripting before), you could always try kixtart script files which - to me, are a bit more easy to understand I find. Here's my current one (its by no means finished ppl so no flaming please): DelPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\HP LaserJet 1300n") DelPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 6") DelPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\hp LaserJet 1320") set computer="@wksta" $room=SubStr(@wksta,1,2) $client=SubStr(%clientname%,3,2) Select Case ($room="07") AddPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 6") AddPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\hp LaserJet 1320") SetDefaultPrinter ("\\SERVERNAME\HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 6") EndSelect Select Case ($room="HU") AddPrinterConnection ("\\SERVERNAME\HP LaserJet 1300n") SetDefaultPrinter ("\\SERVERNAME\hp LaserJet 1300n") EndSelect (this file for me is called printer.kix) I have this in the 'netlogon' share of the server along with the kix32.exe and you just need to change: - the servername to what server is the print server - the room & client variable information to however you name/order the computers in your 'computername' - Change the printer(s) names and/or location to whatever their sharename (or full name is too) - You can add more sections and printers easily and its amazing how quick it works - even when there is a class of pupils logging on. You add it to your logon.bat (if you use one) as: echo - Mounting printers for this room or computer...please wait... echo. \\SERVERNAME\NETLOGON\kix32.exe \\SERVERNAME\NETLOGON\printer.kix (where servername is you DC most likely) search google for kixtart and you should find the site, although if ya want, I can always send you the file(s). A few of us (that I chat to) in powys use this system and it works great Cheers, and good luck. Nath
  14. Microsoft to use spyware..... oh how the mighty will fall if they start to do that lol Makes the MS Antispyware program 'deliciously ironic' lol Nath
  15. Wow...I really started a hot topic here late last night lol Not got time to reply to all them posts but really handy to know what others do Call me stupid (you may) but I'm assuming you are using some sort of way using Exchange that allows the staff/users to save work to their own folder by logging onto their email from home right? Cheers Nath
  16. Hi all Just a quick question and poll as I'm wondering what everyone does when it comes to staff and teachers using CD-ROM, floppy and USB storage devices... I'm not in certain staff members' good books as on the XP pc's, i've prevented the use of the Floppy and CD-ROM drives via GP. They moan now because they *need* to use them for their "CD's" tha they have...(what these are I'm not sure but whateveer they are, they dont ask me about it first so.... :S) How does everyone strike a ruling on this sort of thing regarding this, etc.? I'd like to say to them "well its what the majority of schools in the UK do so would you argue with all of them too?" but I cant back that up (unless I know what I say is true of course lol) What does everyone think and if you do do that, how do you allow them to "bring in work"? (I assume allowing USB "pen" devices but no CD's or floppies Cheers, Nath
  17. getting so many edu IT techies together.... the school's and educational establishments' management should start quaking in their boots. My mate the caretaker was interested, after me taking about this forum that he's found... http://www.thecaretakers.net/forum/ Power to the support staff lol but back on topic... I agree mark that it aint gonna be easy getting them to sign anything, but the forced acceptance at logon is muuuuch nicer because they're gonna have to log on to the system.... ;) So cunning that we'll have to win *this* one lol. Nath
  18. lol No, as I said, I mean "prevent a user to logon to another computer while they are already logged on". I'm sure I was able to do it on the NT domain so what happened MS? lol Nath
  19. lol Ahhh I see... From the description of the board (when you look at it from the main forum index) I never got that meaning lol But your the site admin so I do indeed bow to your supremecy (spell checker pls lol) Cheers, Nath
  20. Interestin.... So no one knows of a "tickbox" option in GP of Server 2003 then? Surely there must be an easier way than the CConnect thing, tho I have MSDE runnin on the DC so maybe I could try it Cheers but preferably other options please Nath
  21. Its no rumour lol Yep russ... it's not a glitch, it was that time in the am Cheers, N
  22. Hi all Just wondering where it is that I can configure how to prevent users from logging onto more than one machine at the same time... Another thing I'm sick of, but not had the chance to find it... Cheers (eeek thats the time? 8O 8O ) N.
  23. Lookin good mark I wonder... How many school havent got Staff AUP's? I pretty much think that we dont have one or that no staff members have signed one if we do have one Nath
  24. Username in relation to our school name plus my initials: Mangotsfield School ! 8O hehe No offense meant. I was being half asleep as usual as I thought it read mungo, not mango lol (as there is a user called mungo here already you see and..........) never mind I iz the zombie of the forum :twisted: Cheers and soz for the confusion (as always ) Nath
×
×
  • Create New...