-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Indeed, I prefer winrar tho But we'll agree that they both kick winzip's ass lol (....er...right? ) PS. see http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=222 for my new thread on essential software - not trying to steal your thunder Simon hehe. I was thinking of putting one there and then you posted this thread lol. But stuff pertaining to your image we can discuss here right? *holds out hands ready for a slap* :S Nath
-
Here is a colaborative list of what think is essential software on our school PC's. Please post comments or suggestions to be added to the list or PM *me* to update the post --- Update: 06-08-05 http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku.php?id=the_essential_software_list This has been wiki-fied - please visit the link for the up-to-date list --- Key: tarq_cust = application is available from tarquel's apps site [see sig] Third Party "Tools": - Acrobat Reader 7.x [tarq_cust] - QuickTime 6.5.2 [tarq_cust] - Sun Java 2 RE 1.5.0 Update 2 [tarq_cust] Remote repair and assistance software: - VNC (various builds include UltraVNC [custom available on request], TightVNC, RealVNC and some others) Regards, Nath
-
Indeed - I use it at home N.
-
Are you using "one image to rule them all"? (if you seen my meaning and pun lol) even if the hardware is different - Am just curious thats all Is is RIS you're using for this? um.... if you're meaning 3rd party tools then I use: - Adobe Reader 7.0.2 Full (cust) - QuickTime 6.5.2 (cust) - Sun Java 1.5.0_02 (cust) - Spybot - S&D v1.4 (just to protect the LM registry mainly) - SpywareBlaster v3.4 (cust) - for the above reason too - Was thinking of putting WinRAR on them all but this would allow them to download .rar files of the next that could contain anything - parhaps a discussion for another thread - Your usual Multimedia apps - like Kudos, etc. - All the current hotfixes & updates where possible, inc .net framework and windows messenger 5.1 (i know they cant access it here but it's only to avoid security issues I guess) think a new topic with Essential Software is needed - I'll make one and sticky it later on Both are what I'm gonna try Whats Winsuite? Indeed, I would with a note in the AUP stating that "the computers on the network have remote access technology on them to allow system administrators and IT staff to fix problems remotely...blah...blah" so that they are aware of it (to cover yourself). Maybe could mention that they can be used to monitor a individual following a report of abuse on the system (i'm sure thats justified ) er....if you have NetOp, why do ya need VNC too? If you are interested in VNC tho, and want a UltraVNC package that I've created - automated install (tho i havent packaged it yet) - then give me a shout I'd say that we could leave this to start a new topic (as i mention above) with essential & free software. I'll update the list from PM's / posts received on that thread then Cheers, Nath
-
Log into my site and get my packaged version Cheers N.
-
They work fine here [roaming profiles] Also a little story regarding them - a pupil came up to me the other week saying he couldn't log on. Did all the usual checks and discovered that it was the profile. I was pushed for time so only did a quick delete of user.day in his home folder and removed all the folders from his profile directory. He logged on and they were recreated perfectly and on he went with no probs - that I know of. The only downside is a longer logon time but if isn't that much to ask is it really? lol Cheers Nath
-
hehe Depends how locked down the users are - mine would never find it or be able to run it lol The ironic thing is that the pupils are more likely to find it than the not-as-locked-down admin network with adults on it lol Nath
-
Hi there If you're refering to Media Studies (or a similar) subject, then I think it depends on what your teacher can teach i.e. We used Adobe Premier LE last (sch) year, but the teacher changed this year, and didn't properly monitor what the pupils were using and they ended up using Windows Movie Maker which is fine I guess, but I had great fun with trying to make a finished product into a DVD lol (could be due to the crappy sony software on the viao PC we have as a Media Studies pc and the machine came with adobe premier LE which was a step of a reason towards getting that system XP home tho lol so just attached to the network for I'net but no connected domain naturally) Cheers Nath
-
[Welcome to the forum Paul - and I think its customary to add your title / school info to your sig too btw ] Nath
-
Nice find (as always) Geoff MS need to remember one thing.... Spyware is spyware! lol There's so many different Claria types/variants which give them away as spyware to start off with. But I wont rant no more lol Nath
-
Calm Down Dear, It's Just A Commercial
tarquel replied to StewartKnight's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
LMAO ...just realised theres another load of pages of the stuff, tho sadly not from the guy in question lol N. -
Looks similar to the one i got (same name oddly) but was damn confusing. I'll have to try this one instead Cheers Nath
-
Indeed, but it aint the easiest thing to do lol - seems to work ok (weird why this is - you can configure most other stuff but power configuring is a joke lol) Nath
-
Indeed - I dont generally, tho people/pupil around here dont generally touch the blank/open ports on the walls. The county used to (when they fitted networking equipment for us) put a patch lead for every port but when they sub-contracted the work to a (crap) company called Daton, they didnt patch up all the ports each time. Its nice to have the cables tho - beats making them lol I tend to leave them in the cabs ready for a port to be patched if needed but generally unplugged for ones not in use (for the exact reason you state Ric ) Cheers, N.
-
Indeed - i know you cant crimp it (I was just being lazy with my wording lol) Thankfully, I dont inspect baby's botoms but I hear that theres nothing smoother lol Not quite sure I follow the cores and stuff (being thick again) - all I have on my links from one section of the school to another is the 100Base-FX and there is two cables (one Tx and one Rx) for each link. Ta Nath
-
I had a sly plan with where this is going tho you see.... A background stating a AUP and that if you dont agree, then you need to log off immediately and that by using "this" computer, you are agreeing to the terms of the AUP It'll do for now - the image is pretty crap but I haven't installed Macromedia Studio on my pc yet lol Cheers, Nath
-
an idea then would be to disable screensavers and have it set to turn off the monitors after x amount of minutes Its what I did until trying the logoff screensaver tool that dont seem to work 100% Is the script running locally or are you using it on the DC and using the: /m \\COMPUTERNAME style way of doing this? I dont shutdown pc's - on the basis that they might not be tuned on again and if I need to remtely fix something and its off - well I've have to "walk" to sort if out lol i'll probably use the /l option to force a logoff instead, tho i notice it cant be used remotely grrrr Cheers Nath
-
bah! - you're no fun lol I want to be lazy here and have fancy readouts, buttons to press, combo lists and checkbox things *sighs* Nath
-
LMFAO How true and to continue your comment... ..."harder than finding an ICT teacher (or a ICT Co-Ordinator) that actually knows about IT!!!" I remember the woman from the county telling me 7 years ago how expensive Cat5 crimping tools are etc., then a 3-4 years ago (when I decided to do some internal cat5 network links i.e. no roofspace jobs) I got one for like £15 - belkin one. Still using it now lol And the cable tester was about £30 too lol I wonder if theres any "cheap" fibre crimping tools that would do the job (just ramming it into the hole wont work then? ) Ta N.
-
were the Foos good RobC? (need I even ask? lol) [PS still waiting for hotel list in your area lol... - am considering a weekend break in scotland but dont drive, so hoping to rope a mate and his g/f, with me and my g/f as he can drive ] Cheers.... (BTW Welcome to the frum SteveT ) Nath
-
Here here *round of applause* It helps me get thru the day lol ....seriously :S Bless the guys (and/or girls) in Lancs for setting this up once again Nath
-
lmao @ ninjabeaver You never fail to prodive a smile here I like the night - what can I say? My day usually consists of (sorry if it bores you but ya dont have to read it lol ): - [alarm goes off] - [i wake up later than I start work] - [especially in this heat, try to fight the temptation of sleeping again] - [fail but manage it the second time] - [rush like mad to get ready] - [get to work] - - [generally pretty good by the afternoon] - [stay late until 6pm or later to make up for how late I was - good tho as I can get more done when everyone aint here] - [possibly do a pc job for someone then or just go home if nothing on] - [cook food for me and g/f] - [fight the temptation to fall alseep - for fear of waking up at 4am wide awake] - [carry on posting on forums, reseaching IT stuff, online gaming, app packaging, web designing, watching tv,... - the usual until v. late] - [cant sleep so do the above some more] - [finally sleep about 4am or later] (this completes my cycle lol) Asleep in the day? I wish lol this heat makes it so much worse lol *yawns* Cheers y'all, Nath.
-
lol I can't remember that ever happening - mainly as theres no spare lead or ports for them to mess about with and there isn't any they can unplug both ends of Interesting stuff tho N.
-
hmmm I thought as much. Notice I am not causing anything tho - other cowboy installs unfortunately. I'd like to be able to do the fibre links myself but fiber cabling and the tools needed are too damn expensive aren't they? hehe We (schools in powys) should chip in and get one to share so all of us techies in powys can use one I notice that the fibre converters are only 100Base-FX connections. Forgive my lack of fibre cabling knowledge but aren't these only 100M then? Surely using fibre at 100M is pretty pointless as its cheaper to use Cat5e (or am I missing something here lol) right? Also, is there different actual fibre cable you can get or is it all the same but depends on the unit it goes into? - If fibre is fibre, couldn't I upgrade the fibre units or preferably get some switches with fibre converters builtin? Sorry if that sounds a bit long winded... but I cant help it lol Ta, Nath
-
lol now I wonder who is a linux fan (baring the obvious avatars )... I best explain why I need it then *sighs* The network, for the most part, is fairly quick (well, quick enuff for now) but one link to the technology block is slower than a snail transfering the packets to and fro See this post: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1296#1296 All I want to do is get a tool that'll sit on my pc in the server room and run the tool on the machine in the tech block, then run a looooong (but not too long ) Cat5 cable from one switch to the other, and try the tools again to see the difference. This'll then confirm the fibre / converters to be the problem. So as you can see, just a little Windows tool that I can click "Recieve" on one end and "Send" on another would be well nice I'll try your bing 'thing' tho Geoff Thanx Cheers, Nath
