Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Agreed - I'm sure our Science Techie would snap this up too (same may go with other depts too) Making it yourself as in php & mysql type system on a internal webserver perhaps? Sounds good to me if so PS. Isn't this section for "How to..." guides and solutions, not requests for things? Just thinkin in admin ways btw - no offense meant coz its a good question you ask Ric Cheers Nath
  2. Unfortunately yes.... I did enjoy it to a degree but it was just a bit overwelming really and I just didnt feel like I was doing anything lol Just doing the missions from the ...er... guides (or whatever they are called) but that was it (i.e. dumping garbage, taking on "10p warriors", that sort of thing) and being a busy sort in the evening, I just didnt have the time for it. Especially when FF XI came out over here, I had to try that and got into that much more - tho i only play it a few nights a month lol - so as soon as I started to pay for FF, I had to turn in the towel with Eve Online... Shame really but dont earn enough to play both "every-now-and-then" sadly. Guild Wars tho is another matter.... being no subscription - I may take up that as I played a beta weekend and really enjoyed it. If theres no subscription then there's no "having to play it coz you're spending money on it each month" type thing - plus its really good if ya like this sorta game. £17.99 - bargain (on Play I think as I havent got it ...yet) Cheers Nath
  3. lol we never chuck anything here (until recently). Both me and the ICT co-ordinator are horders I think lol But its a good point Regards, N.
  4. lol @ mark - I didnt test that Nath
  5. lol yep, tho most of it is freeware/shareware stuff like the 911 CD I use, and the rest is fine if you own it (lol naturally). I'll give it a whirl sometime but i presume they might use the same engine that the 911 cd uses (http://www.cdshell.org/) to the boot process. Still....its all good, and I noticed a XP Anti-Spy link on that page too Cheers again DB Nath
  6. Are they a trade only firm that will set up an account for schools? Jus' wonderin' Cheers, N.
  7. @DB: lol Why dodgy DB? @Mango_RW: XP Anti-Spy - link pls [r u anything to do with Mango not RW? lol] @kgcs: I'd be interested in that too. I've started something similar and was gonna try a bit more with it over the summer but I'd appreciate it if you feel like sharing Cheers, N.
  8. lol good stuff, tho one of them came up as porn on the filtering system here lol [the "same but bigger" one] Cheers, N.
  9. @Alex: It blew me away! I wish I had started "from the start" as it was a bit too boggling and deep for me. Was the Exodus good btw? N.
  10. Agreed Geoff (and ta for the link) I used to have to manually setup client's on the admin network with specific manual ip's - a nightmare indeed (wasnt in control of the DHCP either if your wondering why). But DHCP reservations are easy and useful too I shall not rant further on this.... ...well.... N.
  11. This is the same principal as what I mean Stewart I didnt think ninjabeaver was refering to ghost primarily (were you? lol doh!) but now I guess, when I use ghostcasting (or whenever/whatever requests a IP from a client) due to the reservations, it will always assign the right IP address to the right computer. Handy when doing anythin' I wud have thought I wouldnt rely on this fact btw lol proxy addy's can be found out lol Cheers Nath
  12. Maybe just getting the Exchange licenses now, and then getting User CALs if we need to do the accessing work from home bit at a later date Cheers, Nath
  13. Yep, but doesn't this change when using the "folders" option of it? This is what I was led to believe by other sources. The MS guy didnt seem to agree with you i.e. he said I needed both - even for just externally accessing OWA Cheers, Nath
  14. Never heard of it.... explain [is it due to me being in Wales tho I know some grants are only available to England and not Scotland, Wales, etc. a while back when I looked into it a bit] The guy that did look at funding left a loong time ago and ever since...as far as I'm concerned regarding IT...was never replaced so have no idea whats out there - if there is anything out there... Cheers, Nath
  15. Well what I've started to do, is use the reservations in the DHCP system. Of course, this does mean having to get all the MAC addresses (various tools for that) and then adding them to DHCP. In case you dont know, this means you still can leave the client pc's set to automatically obtain their IP address, but then the DHCP server gives them the same IP address each time It seems to me a good way to organise things but the snag is freeing them all up to do this and having 98 pc's causes me a few probs with this lol (nothing major, its just a bit o' manual processing ) In my mind, its better than fixed IP addresses and exclusions in the DHCP range(s) and you can even do it with Print Servers - the ones that support DHCP o' course lol Havent changed them yet but I will. Of course this will rely on the DHCP server a bit more but I've found it not to trip up at all yet Cheers, N
  16. presumably yes, but i dont mean the actual limiting process, but what to do in terms on licensing I need to get (or not get as it may be). Am I gonna just have to get: - 300 Student User CALs for both Exchange & Windows Server - 50 User CALs for both Exchange & Windows Server then? I wont have to limit anything then lol but I was only thinking limiting to prevent over-burdening the system etc Its just the above is gonna cost too much I'm pretty sure. Maybe I'll just have to get the windows user cals (for external usage) later on or something *sighs* N.
  17. I'd like to know why we dont get any grants anymore... (probably because the "powers that be" here aren't bothered about chasing them) but I agree with ya DB, tho I havent visited many schools, its a very good point Cheers, N.
  18. Hi all As its kinda different to the other Exchange Server topic, I thought I'd start a new one - so for once, we dont have to be "too" off-topic lol Anyhow... Does anyone know the answer to the following? (and if ya do - post asap please as I need to get this order "out of the door" as it were) - Do you have to have Windows Server 2003 cal's when using OWA outside of the school? (internally covered by Device CALs in my case) - If you do, then can you get a certain amount only so that it only allows a certain amount on at a time? (I'm assuming not but I gotta keep the price down so the head agrees to all this) The MS guy said to me that you cant limit concurrent Exchange users - thru licensing - but you can with the connecting to the server part, so I'm thinking this is the best way to go I guess in that I on.... grrrr MS licensing - I'm pretty good with it usually but throw in Exchange licensing and a limited budget here and well, my head kinda hurts. Let me put it this way... I have ~300 pupils and ~50 staff and I'd like (for now) to have them all be able to access Exchange in school, but only have a max of about 50 pupils and 30 staff be able to access their email externally. No matter how I try to wangle the licensing, I cant work out what I legally need to get in order for it to work out right and not be too expensive in the process... Any ideas? Cheers nath
  19. None that I can think of right now, only the inbuilt stuff in Server 2003, but over the summer I intend to try alot of stuff so would be nice to hear about some recomended ones Cheers, Nath
  20. er umm... In school - mainly everythin is thru the network lol External jobs and those times where its quicker to install off a cd, I use a CD that i custom build. It also has the 911 Rescue CD [ http://www.911cd.net ] on it for diag/repairing I make it every week or so at home, and i have made a script to automate alot of the updates to it Also, custom repacking apps helps here too *see sig* I also use PEbuilder http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ on occasion which can be very handy but not too great for the old, memory lacking machines. In school tho its sad but mostly due to time, if there is a prob with the OS, i'll restore a image on it, and then if it turns out to be hardware, then i'll fix that. Cheers, Nath
  21. ewww 800 x 600 then? Nath
  22. Any interactive boards too? Are the Epson's XGA or SVGA? (dont like the crap res of SVGA anymore lol even if they are cheaper lol) nath.
  23. Who did u speek to? I gotta ring them inna moment coz head wants them ordered Grrr The lady who did my quote is Lisa Garlick (01952 250 166) Promethean 60" ACTIV Studio 2 & Sanyo XU41 XGA 1500 Lumens - £1965 per bundle. Basic install (includes Ceiling mount kit, 10m data cable, temp 240v power supply [ext] and labour is £325 per bundle.) VGA splitter's for 35 quid each [theres a few other options but this'll do ] N.
  24. *giggles* There retailer I help out some weekends and nights never knows where to find it either lol *sheesh* lol Nath
  25. Ahhh - never saw this thread highlighted with new post *doh!* Good point, tho i had thought of that later on lol Cheers, N
×
×
  • Create New...