Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Looks good dude PS Ha...beat ya - now i really should get to sleep ;) Cheers, N.
  2. Will it work off a read only source btw? i.e. copy the install dir to a CD-R? Would be handy for my toolkit Cheers, N.
  3. Fujitsu telling you what you can and cant have!!! What kind of deal is it you have with your hardware? Mark - we thought powys were bad lol ;) Sounds like a raw real to me IMO but I'm sure Fujitsu must have their good sides too tho to be fair right? Nath.
  4. Thanks BWI-Systems - forgot that bit. "We" [cheers Nath! ] have found that if you give the user full permissions to the SIMS folder there's no need to set any other permissions - I hated that you used to have to make users local administrators - not very good I think. I can't beleive that no sims guy (in powys at least) as mentioned about just giving full permissions to the SIMS dir on C! I thought it was fairly obvious (*head stops fitting thru the door lol*) when we started switching to XP pc's on the admin network and I set up the new 2k3 admin domain. I thought, there's no way I'm letting the sods have administrator access to accidentally lose half their shortcuts (or other lovely ways to mess everything up and drive me around the bend hehe) - they are standard domain users that cant see/access the C & CD drive, cannot install stuff, and can't shut the pc's off - SIMS's (amazingly) still works. Good init? Cheers, N.
  5. yep - paid little as pos here Cheers, N.
  6. Slighty off topic here but Apparently I heard a rumour that the pupils can get past the PCC (Powys County Council) filtering. Apparently theres a site they can go to in order to do this - maybe the above site or one similar. Will have to keep my ear un-blocked regarding this. Cheers, N.
  7. You forgot your own wage 13.2k ish 52wk contract. *Sighs* Regards, N.
  8. Thats a great saying lol - shall have to remember that I cant get any less pay Maybe we should start a "How much are you on?" type-thread Cheers, N.
  9. @Mark: Jules? Tell her that when martin finally gives me the price (or lets me have it for free) - I shall investigate also Shouldn't be "too hard" to repackage and edit Nath.
  10. I'd imagine there's ways around that to stop them doing it Reg tweak maybe like VNC progs? Cheers, N.
  11. Excellent I'll try and keep an eye on stuff as much as I can Regards, N.
  12. Hi all Just wonder if anyone is/has used the EZ_GPO tool & .adm thing for helping "control" the power management on pc's on a domain? I havent been able to use (lol or understand it fully yet) and I was wondering whether there's any point me keeping it on the list of .msi files installed via GP Main link (I think): http://www.terranovum.com/projects/energystar/ and for Install-style Docs: http://www.terranovum.com/docs/energystar/EZ_GPO/doc.html Regards, N.
  13. Would happily be a mod too if ya need me on whatever you think appropriate I mainly use the windows forum at the moment I think and shall "probably" be able to help there the most too Cheers, Nath
  14. You must have been a good pupil lol not that I wasn't but I did slack at school towards the end a bit - 6th form mainly - and up to just over a year ago, I was off work alot from IBS (docs wouldn't confirm it but I've had every test here imaginable - and believe me, some you DO NOT want to imagine lol) so maybe it sorta didn't help things. You'd think how we generally save the school's money that we'd get a little appriciation, respect & authority for it but I guess its too much to ask lol [forgive the moaning lol I'm so used to it it just flows out too easily lol You may not believe it but i'm pretty happy at the moment lol ...now where's my pay rise?? lol] Cheers, N.
  15. (really should be doing some work lol) AVG = for home - yep yep Have got SAV (corp) for the Servers - Is brilliant but too exp for all the PC's in the school. Have been use AVG on the workstations until they changed the licensing to *state* that you cant use it in a govermental/educational establishment - beforehand they hadn't as far as I saw Although the workstations arent protected currently (bad considering our county network policy of *having* to have all networked pc's on the school/powys lan to have a up-to-date A/V isn't it? lol) and I'm gonna pretty much TELL the ICT Co-ordinator that its vital... ...tho I HAVE been wating for Martin to get back to me on the pricing Mark - its only been like nearly two months lol Well, first asked him before my op lol Regards, N.
  16. You know my thoughts already mark, but for the benefit of others.... I'll be brief lol Basically the same as mark - you can count the teachers on one hand that actually use the projectors "interactively". I have no problem with projectors as such - in fact, I'm all for it if you can justfy the bumb replacing costs - but having them interactive is a no-no. The head wanted laptop's to go with them!! And wanted to get IWB + Projector + Laptop + cables (and I presume WiFi Usage in these rooms with the laptop so that would mean a WAP too) X 3!! We have 8-9k and *this* is what we have to do: - Exchange 2k3 Server - H/W and licensing - muggin's installing it. - Firewall/VPN system - H/W & VPN licensing - Muggings again (plus PCC hand-holding slightly I think) - Setting up of a little computer room - networking & PC equipment + software = muggings (wiv external company fitting fibre link i hope or moving existing cab 'n' cables) - Library PC - Software (as mentioned elsewhere) - muggings - Additional pc's - Hardware & Office licensing - muggi.... you get the idea on that lol or I know, thets have some interactive whiteboards that no one is gonna use interactively lol Point made - rant over Cheers Nath
  17. I thought the idea of the ICT Deptartment and the techy side was to work together. I also understood the ICT Co-Ordinator was meant to organise the teaching side of things and not interfere with your job. Quite right but you haven't been here before lol It comes from me having been taught here many many moons ago I think and a proper assessment of the situation of IT here. Since working here sort of just after the school had 8 or so Win 3.11 PC's with a old Netware 3 FS (1 share for the lot), he's always been the management and Head of IT as such. And he's the Deputy Head now these days and if you disagree with him, then its tough lol Tell me about it lol I've been trying to make the point of telling most of the teachers each time they get something without asking me first. They've all stopped buying stuff now but the only trouble is that we have teachers leave and come each year - we had loads leave/come last year and we are only a small school of ~300 pupils & a small 6th Form. Cheers, N.
  18. So does anyone have this and any comments about it? Or have you a better systemand how does it compare? The ICT Co-ordinator just bought it without discussing it with me properly so I'd be interested in finding out how good it is, and tips and tricks with setting it up, is there a benefit to it being networked, etc. (havent recieved the package yet so dont know its details but will soon) Regards, N.
  19. Will do - thanks Cheers, Nath
  20. Yikes. This thread certainly puts things into perspective dont it? Wish I had the ability to convey to the senior management team how they really dont understand some aspects of IT, and let me do it all (which i end up doing really but not given credit, cash or training for). The ICT Co-ordinator told me earlier that he's ordered a electronic librarian system caled Eclipse - (I'll start a new thread on this tho ppl so refer to that for comments about it) as we are losing our p/t librarian. He's only got this one as a school in a different county have it and he got a "spam" mentioning it. Figures... All I can say is "One man to rule them all" - as is mostly the case in our county. Regards, N.
  21. lol "sasernacks" ?? N.
  22. tarquel

    Distro Opinion

    lol
  23. Well yes, naturally lol I was on about the following: Cool...I'll have to try it sometime as... ...I still use 98 on the older computer suite. They should be strong enough to run XP ok, but they've been going solid for 4ish years now and I think it may be a waste of £££ getting the XP licenses :S Maybe let them die and replace the whole room and feed them out to the other deptartments lol I'll certainly give RIS a go tho Cheers, N.
  24. How much did ya spend last year (or was it the year before now lol) mark? Or was it steve or matt that had over 100k while I suffered on 3-4k (whch was mainly gobbled up by server purchasing lol)? Probably me getting confused again lol (as-per-usual) @ninjabeaver: Fully sympathise with your situation - it really is down to whether the "senior management team" (or should we say "Most Paid in the school team") is for IT or not really. Take us, we've had such a poor budget in the 8 or so years I've been here until this year when we had a new head that is all for IT. Suddenly we get 8-9K (to start of with) with another look at things in Dec I think. She may have "ideas" about what to spend the money on, and despite me telling her interactive whiteboards are completely un-nessisary at the moment, she insists on getting some (I'm not opposed to them - just the money could be spent better on other things - as always - and very few teachers use the IT room's whiteboard interactively anyhow) so 4-5k gone on straight away I'm not putting the buggers up lol I think we probably all could have a long rant on stuff - and I'm sure we will hehe (I could probably fill a good 100 pages if desired lol) - but it really is down to management. We'e only ever got stuff previously due to grants, and in the past 3 or so years since we haven't had them, I keep getting told there aren't any grants availiable to us anymore (which I find strikingly unbelievable) so until this year, we've not been able to get much. Oddly tho, I find it strange that they raised the 20k or so for the Bromcom system 2 or so years ago lol but that was another thing that was never mentioned to me lol Wanna hear anymore? lol *mark cries out "dont get him started" lol* Regards, N.
×
×
  • Create New...