-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
lmao thats a cool one I likes it i do N.
-
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
None around here are prepared to pay I dont think mate lol well, none this side of powys - right mark? lol Nath -
*makes noise of a trumpet* @Overworked: Welcome to the forum I'm sure you'll find this refreshing from the lack of understanding you get at work (I know I do) I'm in a similar situation to you, except the head and ICT co-ordinator (who doesnt co-ordinate anything to the teachers that I've seen in the past year or so) hold the money but thankfully she's all for IT (mainly int projectors *groans*)... I wont go into detail (as I have in other topics hehe) but I'm the only sap here in IT, working for peanuts, etc. - I only do it because there simply aren't much IT jobs (no *good* IT jobs btw) around here - and not driving dont help too. The retailer I help said he'd employ me but I told him sat that he cant afford me lol and that I enjoy the networking/server managing side of things - the reason I've stayed I think. PC repair aint fun day in day out for 8 years, thats why I dont want to work for him doing that as I'm pretty bored of that as it is lol /rant Sorry - got me started again lol Edit: pshuttle @ mark posted while I was writing lol Damn I take a long time lol Welcome to edugeek pshuttle Cheers Nath
-
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
How true lol (following edited: ) Some teachers (to clarify to any teachers reading, I dont mean "all teachers" so dont instantly take offense) these days seem to be here for the ££, not because they particularly want to educate the kids or anything. I think this is part 'n' parcel of the lack of discipline I see with the younger/newer teachers these days. I'm not ranting for the sake of it, its just what I've observed from some newer teachers thats all No bashing intended here - just the facts the way i see them Nath -
Indeed DB (you been looking at my user naming convention? lol) I "dabble" with Visual Basic 6 Pro to make a (crappy) front end for my CD I make up. I really need to knuckle down with it lol But really dont know what programming lang we should use - a combo of a few maybe performing different tasks - one for gui (VB6), one for scripts (batch or vbs), etc. Does that make sense? *wishes he'd kept programming as a kid* Cheers Nath
-
My g/f (like everyone elses I'm sure) loves J. Depp lol so we'll be going to see it. There was a point she thought I looked like J. Depp - unfortunately, I realised since that she was drunk that day/night lol N.
-
Thats particularly hard to do on something like crashing (of any sort) when you cant see it. I hate "cowboys" dont you? In this small place, i've already seen about 5-ish so-called pro's lol Nath
-
Anyone know whether you can get training on Zyxel vpn systems & if you can and you have done it, is it worth it? Just for info: We are trialing a Zywall 70 (and maybe a watchguard X500 if it ever comes) for a number of schools in the county - not trialing in any official sense for powys, but we need it and a woman from the county is most helpful We did look at the Cisco stuff but way too expensive for us - VPN through the Powys WAN to us lol other features are beneficial but not for the price of the cisco kit, plus i believe you NEED the training to make head-or-tail out of the interface and ways they do stuff. So I have been looking at a number of products, including a (suposedly) high-end netgear vpn/firewall one, but it fails because of not being able to provide multiple IP ranges So this brings me to the watchguard series which the X500 looked great but a touch expensive - but a bit cheaper than cisco and probably more easy to understand . It was great but getting a trial eval unit of it will take ages Then zyxel turned around to us (supplier and me) and said, ah, we'll give ya a trail and it should be with me tomorrow /story over So I'm just wondering whether there is any zyxel training available or not, or is it "that" easy to use? lol The Watchguard X500 & accredited training if the zyxel system isn't good enough may be on the cards - VPN course (1 day) @ £495 and theres a Firewalling Basics Course & Exam (2 days) @ £995 I've seen Any thoughts? Nath.
-
I take it Stewart, that you are actually fixing the pc yourself? I thought "my two cents" pretty much covered it all lol If it locks up in windows (peoples definitions vary so if you havent seen it yourself stewart, she may think its stopped responding but it could be a bit of spyware taking up ~100 cpu usage for example) then it doesnt mean its hardware at all. Give her a knoppix cd lol and let her boot and play with that for a while and see if that freezes after a while. Surely if its hardware, it wont matter the OS, and knoppix might tax the hardware a bit more by running, than just windows. Cheers, N.
-
but my encouragement and response helped him not throw it through the window but work out the problem ...er.....honest N.
-
Indeed.... But are they actually Educational IT Techie peeps, or just the general public I wonder :S N.
-
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
Same here - I think it's 2k as well. This means I wont be doing any "good" courses anytime soon lol agreed. Not that I'm big into buying a house or anything but when I've looked at the estate agents around here, then cheapest going is about 110k! Might not be much to other places, but its still alot to someone who doesn't get the pay to get one lol Nath -
Just to add my two cents of detail: I also concur - overheating, faulty memory, faulty psu - tho it could well be anything when it comes to "random crashing" like Ric says You cud try any of the numerous programs for monitoring system stats like temperatures, ram info & voltage. I like Speedfan - which is pretty good - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and you can sometimes tell a dodgy psu from the voltage rails Also, give MemTest86 a blast - http://www.memtest86.com/ - and use the ISO version - run a basic test and a advanced one (you may want to leave it run for a few hours to really give it a good test but if there is something wrong (or the memory is incompatible) its usually clear from the basic test (7 parts to the basic test I think). If it resets why its testing, you'll know its nothing to do with windows as it doesnt use the hdd to run the test (as you may have guessed lol) Also, a faulty hdd can cause random crashing (as can a faulty mobo or a cpu, tho generally cpu's either work or dont but its still a possible) so get the manufacturers HD diag boot disk/cd image and give it a diag run using that I think that, depending on the make/model of the graphics card, some chipset manufacturers have diag tools for checking temps and stuff, and there is probably 3rd party software that can check the temp too Windows wise, try the usual: - A/V scans (if no av is present or you suspect it has been disabled) and give the McAfee Stinger a blast too - spyware checks using MS ASW, Ad-aware, Spybot - S&D, CWShredder (standalone ver), HiJackThis [use with caution] and stick in spywareblaster for protection too - Use some program like CCleaner or Norton Systemworks (or Norton Utilities) to check for and fix registry/windows errors & problems - Also a hardware diagnostic tool might be useful for "stress testing" the system and if you get one that can log all info while its doing it, it might point to the problem - have a check of the event viewer too to see if windows has recorded any info on it - make sure windows is all patched up too and that it isnt a driver conflicting that they may have installed by accident through windows update or "fiddling" ...and now I'll be going to bed Good luck and let us know how it goes Nath
-
Good stuff - does that mean I'll have to go out and buy it? lol Nath
-
Yeah - it would be nice indeed. I'm probably the only one never to use RSS lol (or maybe I have but dont know it lol ;)) Nath.
-
Wayhay Good to know you solved it Nice one mate N.
-
Cool I never get a chance to investigate fully what I have (or when I do have time, I never remember to lol) N.
-
Sounds fun never had server 2k so wouldnt know about that one Handy info tho cheers Ric Nath
-
lol you left one with a mere "hehe" Ssshh now N.
-
lol and hi Bob I dont post for the sake of upping my post count lol but indeed you are correct Nath
-
Yeah, but I'm refering to settings i.e. pre-populated fields like nameserver, webmaster email addy (mark - chris is still in it... is he still there? :S), etc. that are in the build i.e. on the cd already when you are installing it. I'm sure nick wouldnt have objections, but my point is that "I" did not make the build of it, so surely I dont have the right to provide it to a third party - GPL or no GPL lol Hope that makes more sense I've sent nick the link to this topic so maybe he'll sign up and comment himself (or email me and give me what for - only jokin nick if ya readin this ) Cheers N.
-
Sounds good to me Ric I've seen on one forum stars like we have here, but once it gets to the end, a different coloured set of stars appears - or mayb i was imagining it lol Nath
-
lmao touch-Â lol As it turns out, I can explain whats in the distro - convienent email with the 'man knows all' (mark'll know who that is lol) I did indeed, so it looks as tho it cud be because I left the damn LAN cable unplugged lmao *doh!* I'll leave it off for now - monday shall be a day of fun (moving the D. head to a new room - its alright for some - sorting benq's projector out and re-configuring up a laptop. *yawns*) P.S. Dunno whether it can be posted to a open forum lol Powys probably wudn't like it, but I shall chat to 'the man' about it - maybe theres a altered version that could be made or sumthin Cheers, N.
-
Really? might give it a blast if I dont have any luck with RIP Can you elaborate further on it? It makes msi's? lol Cheers Nath
-
All manner of lovelies on Sourceforge. Make sure MySQL, Apache and PHP are configured then head over to: * IRM * HotOpenTickets * MRBS Did you read my mind? lol I'm setting it up for the purpose of a "helpdesk" style system - got a test version of IRM going on the county servers - looks great Hope there some good tweaks and mods for it - just to give it a 'bit extra' Dont think I've looked at the other two but shall do. The build of the iso's are configured by powys and I'm led to believe that php, mysql and apache are configured outta the box - I went thru the configuration thing they have on it, and it seems happy when booting - the services start and there's no error messages in boot up so i wonder whether its ok lol 'X' dont work tho, probably because of the workaround I had to do to install linux (mentioned above somewhere). Cheers, Nath
