Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. lol @ Tony I'd rather them not come to me if they mess it up because they were a local admin - dont need that extra work Same goes for any machine tho - not just laptops. Haven't needed to give anyone a local admin yet, and i dont plan to change that anytime soon lol I have got a local user for the RM SecureNet program we use in the county. For another topic but the guy at RM said that only the user it was installed on can use it and if any other user uses it, it will mess up the installation (nice work RM, nice work *groans*). Any suggestions here PM me or make a new thread for me @tosca: Lucky she didnt kill you. I had evils from a teacher after the laptop him and his wife (both teachers at the school) messed up big time and lost the profiles (of course, that could have been me tinkering with the settings and forgetting not to allow laptops to remove local cached profiles hehe). Had to run a recovery program to get the work back - not the easiest of things to use but managed to get alot of it back tho - tho some was inevitably lost He finished at the school this term but wasn't the happiest with me since it happened tho (wonder why? lol). I've explain to his wife today and made a full backup onto cd of the work on and off the laptop so she has a copy - they have no management of storing files - not making life easier. I've promptly given her the local machine logon and told her to save her work in C:\Work\$Username$ - I redirected the My Docs folder manually to there too because these ppl always forget lol. Lets hope it works for her Regards Nath
  2. Thanks Ric - my confidence in it is reinstated lol Chris - I see [different win folder ] but it may have been nasty to Documents and Settings :/ I'd have thought the files should still be there tho - in one of the usual places Outlook 2k3 rocks Later, N.
  3. That was my plan GrumbleDook Altho previously, I've had to set up their dialup connection for them (!!) but now i wont bother. If they cant shell out for a measly ammount of money for a home computer, then why should I do more than my share either eh? Local Admin - big no no here. Limited User is all they are gonna get from me lol Cheers N.
  4. You dont need to no. Just add it to the others on the DC and Add it to the GPO in question. Then change the fields to suit your system and turn on or off what you want Let me know how you get on Regards Nath.
  5. @ABJ: Why does every app have to be in MSI format tho? (to answer myself tho, I assume this is because you use only GP to deploy applications) I have only got the User Hive unload thing on the GP deployment lol Regards Nath
  6. Hmmm.... I take it a "repair" of windows then? (i.e. reinstalling windows over itself that is lol) Never full proof unfortunately. I take it you are using exchange 200x? I'm getting worried about getting it now :S - seen so many probs on here alone lol I'll keep thinking Chris but it dont look good :S Regards Nath
  7. Optimus - are you using the software version of winfolder ? (I assume not) We are planning on doing so and have the existing wifi/folders one as a backup/only used for those teachers who have no pc in theit reg rooms, as the maintainance cost of using the software version is - as you'd expect - alot less Its a "either/or" situation regarding maintainance - tho i believe there might be a half-half maintaince regarding hardware/software maintainance costs. Its an attempt to give IT more money - but i bet you it wont work lol Regards N.
  8. @SpuffMonkey: Have you played a fast moving game (i.e. HL or such game) or DVD on it yet tho? Regards N.
  9. Welcome new folk Well, there are two other things you can do crc-ict 1. You can actually get "flushing" (for use of a better word) cartridges which you pop in like a normal cartridge and the (as i remember) run a full cleaning cycle with it [similar to whats been mentioned i know - but no one mentioned the cart's ]. Cant remember the cost of them but I dont think they are much - ~£5 and i think you refill the cart with the solution but it was a long time ago i did it so unsure. Can find out more if required... Just had a thought and it paid off - here ya go: http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk/index.php?page_id=112 I assume you fill an empty cart with the stuff, but the instructions are included anyhow 2. Epson Express centres have "special" tools/applications which have more vigorous cleaning facilities in them. You might want to try calling your local one to see if they can help you. I help out at a retailer who is a EpsonExpress centre, but I highly doubt Epson would allow the distribution of such tools tho Still... I'll see what he thinks too Regards Nath.
  10. *big thumbs up*
  11. Thats one of the 'problems' I've been having with my 'changed' network (see my other topic on my problem). This same "annoyance" only happens with the existing machines once I've turned them on since the change of router/firewall system. interestingly tho, on the machines that I'll wiped and installed xp from fresh, when i join the network (after the sysprep and populating sysprep.inf to join domain etc for example), i dont get the delay on the first looking at the domain list Just my two cents Nath.
  12. Cities of Gold - oh yeah! Doe any channel on Sky repeat that? I gotta watch that again lol [yes yes - I am sad lol] Cheers Nath
  13. Not really. The Windows firewall is one way only; incoming. Which is negated by said infected floppy\CD. ? what about the ol' window that pops up asking whether to allow program xyz.exe to access the internet? (the one that has the [unblock] button on it and is dark-blue colour) Isn't that part-and-parcel of Windows Firewall? So true - dont we all know it lol Just my two cents Nath.
  14. Thanks for the suggestions gecko I'll give them a try when I head in to work shortly (thought I'd check out a few suggestions before heading to work - as I wont b able to check once inside the county lan) I dont think there is a period there - why would it suddenly appear on all of them lol but thanks and keep it coming Exceptions in firewall I doubt but I'll turn the F/W off and see what difference, if any, it makes winsock tool looks a good idea tho thanks Anyone else or any more ideas? Regards (from here-on-in today - I probably wont be able to check but please leave a post anyhow - hell call me even ;D), Email me @ - admin [@] broddyfi-hs.powys.sch.uk if any thing obvious strikes you good folk - as I can check that at least lmao Many thanks Nath
  15. I just lost one hell of a looong post - I cant believe it! I must have spent at least 20 mins on it lol Basically the short and sweet of the topic is as follows.... - Got a new router/firewall/vpn unit on trial - watchguard firebox X500 - Tested the settings off the rest of the nework and configured the new IP ranges as simply as possible - All was good - installed it and wired it up to the Powys Cisco Router here - changed the the DHCP ranges on the DC's - admin and curriculum (both seperate physical networks joined at the router) and appropriate IP's on the DC's - removed all traces of the old IP addresses and ranges in all the settings I could find on the DC's - All pc's were turned off by this point I think - Concentrated on the admin network and checked each admin workstation - all fine after a few tweaks here and there - IE, Email delivery, etc. worked fine - few router firewall policy changes were needed along the way naturally - In the process, I noticed my workstation on the other network wasn't accessing the internet anymore so ended up wiping it and started with a new XP install - working fine now (and still is) - Both DC's at this point can access the internet fine too - Spent a month of getting the VPN's setup and tested - relying on the county, Bromcom and watchguard which took so long - plus having two weeks off - annual leave! Today, I turned on a few machines on the curriculum network and discovered that none of them - 98 or XP - would browse the internet, although things lke Spybot & SpywareBlaster updated their definitions fine from the web so they must be able to see the outside world - via proxy somehow. [remember that in powys - as a rule of thumb - we use the county's proxy server based in their IT centre - for accessing the internet ] Solved the 98 ones by adding a exception to the "dont use proxy for the following" text box in the Internet Options - I added the domain name and appended *. in front of it and it worked - Oddly :S XP didnt work and everything I've tried today hasnt either. This would be: - various combinations of the 98 solution above, including IP ranges etc. - altering the DNS part of things in the TCP/IP protocol - i.e. manually adding the IP, removing t, etc. - tried logging on to the domain - which takes 10 mins to log on (although where I was, it always takes a while as its the furtherest point on the network) - and logging on just to the local machine but neither makes a difference - even removed the dns zone and the service/role itself and added it again, but this made no difference at all Cant think of anything else to do - except wipe every XP machine and install the OS / software again - which is going to take a while - especially as I havent had a chance to redo the image of the main bulk of the range of desktops we have If anyone can suggest any things I can try to save me from doing this - I'd will be a very very happy man [and oweing of some serious pint buying ] I cant access edugeek at work at the moment - as I havent set the firewall to allow the correct access to the unfiltered settings I have on a specific IP address [pre-firewall installation] - but I'm hoping mark will email me any suggestions throughout the day - if you good folk can spare me the time Any suggestions are welcome - no matter how obvious or silly they appear to be, but please no mocking (well, not too much) as it's not like I wanted to leave it all to the last minute lol Many thanks ppl - I'll need to crack on with wiping XP machines otherwise (lucky we dont have TOO many computers lol) Hope I havent left anything out - think I've covered the most of it Best Regards Nathan H. [ 07884 072792 btw ]
  16. I'd have to agree with abj - not that I'm saying either argument is correct... It's just what works for their particular network, and way of doing things - unless you have no firewall on at all ...anywere lol in abj's defense - have client f/w's on is handy - not against viruses, but other sorts of malicious things like spyware and other nasties. Also helps limit the chances of a user having some sort of program in their home dir (brought in by whatever means) and used against the system - at least with a client firewall, you can prevent a app from doing anything Just my two cents - i have more pressing matters tho (see a lovely possible-DNS-related-problem topic in a few moments appearing)... Regards Nath.
  17. tarquel

    IE 7 Beta 1

    EDIT: Seems the download link on the following site doesnt do anything now - i assume its been pulled as its not really a public beta release - this topic may be deleted if needed Hi all Just to let you know that you can download the BETA of IE 7 at the following location: [link removed - just to be safe hehe - tarquel] This link is from a respectable place - but I'm not sure whether its officially out or anything. It is legit however i.e. not IE 4 or something instead lol - I'm using it right now Enjoy but only use it on a test machine - just in case eh? Regards Nath. PS No - Neither Edugeek or myself is responsible for damage caused to your system as a result of installing the beta - just so ya know
  18. Horror stories about Acer eh? *gets worried* [from my msfn sig btw] Much cheaper than a Dell or HP equivelent at the time - plus Custom PC had a preview of it and said was a good one.... And how right they were - kicks serious bottom [gave up on the Smart Card reader tho - nearly locked myself out of the laptop completely when the card buggered up Thank god I created a master / emergency one first lol :S I'd say got for the Acer - ~1.6 centrino / AMD Sempron M / AMD Turon 64 wud be fine if she only wants it for word processing/internet. I would have thought you'd be able to get for about that much. Either that or a cheapo HP - tho you might be hard pushed to get the stats you want for the price with a HP. Regards N.
  19. @all: hehe you *know* you are gonna have to stay up late for (or record) at least one episode Ok, I can understand Sunday night, but shouldn't you be staggering home from the puba at that time on a Saturday night? lol not unless I'm really lucky (have you been to these small towns before dude? lol Gone are the days of pub "lock-in's" in rural areas where there is still a cop shop ...not that it stopped anyone back then anyhow lol The odd one these days is nice tho Usually a few drinks at a mates (or my) flat/house is usually the plan. 4am staggering home then def - usually watch the double episode too. anyhow....back on topic... As the ninja man says, It'd be great if they started a new series with the tech of these days. Even if it is CITV, I'd watch it def lol (well - record it being at work at that time no doubt ><) Pop-quiz hotshots... - Whats the name of Treguard's (gimp) elf-dude in the later series'? Only photographic evidence of findng out the answer by watching the program will be accepted lol No googl-ling you cheating gits lmao Nath.
  20. lmao spot on Grumble Definately a goth - i mean look at the time of my post. I must be lmao ... not! Been there...done that....got the nail varnish lol Nath.
  21. Are the mailboxes like the .pst file you have in Outlook 200x? Cant they just be copied and used on the new one or....as I imagine the answer will be..... is it alot more complex than this? Annoyingly, I might have been able to help more if I'd actually ben allowed to get the Exchange server over the summer hols grrr :( Nath
  22. lol the attachment at the end of the post.... sheesh lol Cheers N.
  23. So is anyone implementing / has anyone implemented this yet - from what we have here - http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku.php?id=staff_aup - for example. I'd like to do this with both the staff and pupils - primarily the staff atm so they all know what is and isn't acceptable on the network. What if they refused to agree to it? lol How can we deny them use of IT resources? Regards N.
  24. no offense but I certainly dont lol Regards N.
  25. @GrumbleDook: Same here with the standard initial password for new first year - also is the same to new student users too. They then *have* to change it during the first logon Works fine on the XP machines but the 98 pc's seem to either do the process or fail on that process. Used to work fine with the NT 4 Server & 98 PC setup, but not now with the 2003 server. Still, not too bigger problem really - theres now plenty of xp pc's to do it on lol Regards, Nath
×
×
  • Create New...