-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
we have a time server on the county, altho we are "meant" to use a local server to sync with it and the local machines sync to the local timeserver. Seems to work (I think) tho i had to point a HP printer at the county one today - it would accept the windows server as the timeserver (figures lol) Nath
-
Would be handy to know a bit of how it works in lancs - privately if needed as our county is a touch confusing at times with MS licensing Regards Nath.
-
Just like me then tony what WG unit have you got and how many clients/users/etc. have you got attached to it? Any policy tips to make vnc'ing via vpn faster would be useful too (its ok but i'm sure it could be a touch faster ) mark - at least we can poll together on this one - if matt gets one too Regards Nath
-
who is the person in charge of this site ?
tarquel replied to mac_shinobi's topic in Web Development
Posted in the wrong place gecko. Should be in the site problems section *tsk tsk* :P Regards, N. -
Damn right - forgot bout that lol Agreed N.
-
*chants* Fight! Fight! (new rule added - No enciting riots and/or un-constructive behavior on the forums") lol Nath
-
Not sure mark's view here, but me personally, I wouldnt want him to use VNC (as I am and I dont want him to use the password i have - got enough passwords to remember without having seperate vnc passwords as well lo). Remote Desktop is fine and works well for him. Either way, he has to log on as a administrator and this is our problem in that he can see any file on the system - including the home directories of the admin staff - which in theory is a no no (security wise - not that i dont trust him, its just he shouldnt be able to). Should we make the home directories permissions differennt then in this case that we remove the administrators group from the root of the homedir share (or however ppl have it setup) and only have "Administrator" & "System" with Full Control, and set the indiviual username (with Full Control) on each users folder i.e. -+ HomeDirs ("Administrator", "SYSTEM", "Creator Owner" - Full Control) | +- Administrator (no additional changes) +- Nigel ("Nigel" - Full Control) +- AOther ("AOther" - Full Control) etc. Would this be a good work around? (excuse the crudeness of things - I'm a little tired lol) Regards N.
-
geoff - you should put linux guru in your sig ;) Nath.
-
u have a old "P4" server free? lol £20 postage to send one? N.
-
Implementing best practice ICT management and support
tarquel replied to FITS's topic in Courses and Training
It would be useful if you filled in the location and/or had something in your sig showing where ya are and what ya do Not a must but will help ppl know that u arent in the uk Regards N. -
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml?link=resbb_viewfulllink Unless you were paying more for the priviledge, its never been 20:1 has it? Its now 30:1 anyhow (or should be ) Regards N.
-
Couldnt a additional admin group be made with restrictions on it which then of course would be easy to prevent access to certain areas on the server? Any ideas on how that could be achived? After all mark - you might get john appear and i would be happier with both of them on the restricted admin group Regards N.
-
lol true true. I'm refering to some places not allowing the service at all - regardless of whether its pupils or teachers using it. Sorry - didnt realise I hadnt put that in it *doh!* Cheers N.
-
configuring it is the fun bit - i havent really understood it properly myself. I've just got the msi installer deployed and the adm added to the GP templates and "sort of" configured. Best way is to try it yourself gecko and see how you get on. Its very low on my list of things to do when i return to work so cant help u really on it. Cheers N
-
yikes lol I happily recommend them tho - never had a problem. They have quite an extensive support section tho and normal (non-premium rate) 24/7 telephone support is handy too lol I luv calling at 3am Cheers N.
-
In short, I dont think there are many who would recommend RM-based networks and systems. I've never had the "priviledge" of using a RM network, have only used RM desktop's of the 486 variety many years ago. Havent touched them with a barge pole since. No real reason except that i could get better pricing that RM gear and no one really praised them in recent years. Thats my two cents as they say. Regards Nath
-
You are of course remembering that alot of places block messenger access on the premise that they dont want the pupils "chatting" all day and/or being at risk from unspeakable nasty folk. I can filter it in my firewall anyhow if the county wasnt doing so anyhow handily A good, managable messing system is desireable - one that network managers can control and monitor in case of misuse. I'm thinking all convo's are recorded perhaps - in the sense of logged in case of employee bullying/abuse, etc. Regards Nath
-
Been there and done that gecko but thanks It doesnt really do much - as far as i can see. I'm not sure whether it even effects the "at logon" (before you logon) power profile. I've added something to the logon script - import a reg tweak that sets the power profile to "always on" mode - by default its turning monitor off only after 20 mins. You could always set the power button to do nothing when its pressed - but then there is the 4 sec delay thing tho Thus another reason why not accessible pc's are the way to go. Keep it secret, keep it safe (to sorta quote LOTR lol) Regards and my thinking cap is still on Nath.
-
<--- plusnet 2M Premier ADSL [if u want to put my handle as a referer if u sign up feel free ] Have had n probs with them - well, none that havent turned out to be because of the local exchange Regards N.
-
@ mark Dont listen to him matt - he's just silly lol (joke) I was thinking about this only last week. It does seem odd - I'm sure there must be a way to configure it. I shall *try* ad investigate - tho I'm sure some smart ass will beat me to it... We have kind of touched on your PS comment in a different topic - I'll try and fish it out http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3764#3764 Its technically for GP to apply this at the end of a RIP install but it might cause it to default everytime to domain - even if you log on as local machine user and logg off. I'm not sure - havent tested it myself yet but comments are welcome. Regards N.
-
that was them questions i forgot mark lol N.
-
Welcome Outpost Please try and include links where possible Best regards N.
