Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. @mark_w: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A6D4C24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en is what Andy was refering to Are you using this to edit your GP and GPO's? If not, do so as its very easy to use and has a great number of features in it that are helpful [compared to not using it] EDIT: Ric beat me to an answer lol Cheers N.
  2. Try these: - hijackthis - http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip [http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html] Take care with that tho - dont remove anything you dont know is bad or you'll screw up IE [or more] - CWShredder - http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/online-tools/cwshredder.exe [http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html] Probably wont help but you never know. - Spybot - Search & Destroy - http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html [http://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html] I dunno if you mean this was spybot killer [but remember some spyware removal programs actually contain spyware and "pretend" to remove stuff so be careful] Also: Use a program like Autoruns [http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html] to see whats loading on the startup too - it might be something in that. See how that goes and we'll carry on from there I kick spyware in the rear most weekends for the past few years and there aint one that's beaten me yet :D Cheers Nath
  3. whoops... forgot to mention it, but I did speak to the county said although technically I could do it, the school would be covered but *I* wouldn't be [as i dont have the needed training & insurance, nor the H&S course]. They then suggested I speak to the union so i rang them... The guy said that although he didnt quite understand what was required and so on - not a IT minded guy i assume - he agreed with the county in that I wouldnt be covered, dependant on the height, and so on of the job, that there could be serious troubles if I did do it [let alone if anything happened afterwards] and suggested i speak to the county H&S ppl... which i did - they said the same and I explained the situation again. The woman was very nivce about and pretty much voiced what the others had said. She even wanted to come down and see the job in question, but I said it was ok for the minute as the management didnt (at the time) know anything about this. I fell a bit underhand but I was only trying to check whether it was legal for me to do it or not. Anyhow, on monday I told the head (the ICT co-ordinator wasnt in) and she was fine about it. Asked me if i could get the quotes and so on which I did and today I had similar quotes of around the 1.5k mark which I know the head will say no to (having said no to the one I got on monday). There is a single cat5 link in there so I guess its gonna be a case of a switch [in the cab] to switch [in the target room] job and I'll cable internally. Unfortunately tho, the ICT co-ordinator came back today and was fuming - had a go at a few people but didnt say anything to me about it oddly. I've been a nervous wreck all day [i say jokingly but its also true lol] Any thoughts? With this part of the school being at the end of the network, I wonder how well it will perform running 12 PC's (+PS's) through this cat5 cable into another switch. Works ok near the server [with the computer room connecting like this to the switch with the server on it] in the same sort of config - but after a few hops down the line, i wonder if it'll be slow or not :S Still, looks like the only option really Still gonna cost tho as the switch that the room is connecting to is currently only a hub!! lol So another switch will be needed here methinks. I'm gonna down half a bottle of whiskey so i can sleep tonight lmao [not really of course] Nath.
  4. lol as have us lot in powys - but thats for another thread lol Cheers N.
  5. Howdy ash - and welcome to edugeek [recommended that you put use pos and school/col/uni & location in your sig btw ] Yep - I've tried it but it doesn't seem to do anything different i.e. keep getting the denied filtering message from the county proxy cache when accessing sites that i should have access to. The problem is that it's the same proxy [port and name] - the rules are applied to you based on IP address but i dont seem to be using the IP alias i setup on the external port [thats conected to the county router]. Its setup doing NAT yes - I have internal ip ranges inside the firewall, and on the external interface, its got its IP address [as you'd expect lol] but I've added an alias - assuming that when specifying that IP in the firewall's rules from the machine I'm using, it would go to the proxy server from that alias - but maybe it doesnt work like that Unfortunately I dont understand all the other options on the firewall like 1-to-1 NAT and dynamic NAT ,etc. so it's all a bit confusing lol Any ideas? Nath
  6. If using 2003, you can hide it as well i.e. so they wont see a C drive - it works well for me anyhow I'd suggest using hidden shares or like ric says, use ntfs and/or share permissions to stop them snooping. I'd look into removing network neighbourhood and My Network Places via GP too Cant give exact details how as I'm not at work at the moment [] and cant access dugeek from work. Regards N.
  7. @andy: yep - the lovely Bex [say hi from nathan from wales for me lol] - not my acc manager but she's very nice @Ric: I can understand that Ric, but you were just unlucky - these things happen. I, personally, have never had any problem either (with insight) whereas I've had crap deals from other supposed edu-favourite suppliers. IMO I dont think you can judge them all (as in all the acc managers) - based on one bad order - even if it is your first one with them. I do think however that you get a different level of service with each one tho, which probably isnt quite how it should be [i.e. how can one give one price and another give another price?] - and if you do get bad service from one, you can complain and/or request a different acc manager. I use them for all my external [non-school] dealings because my acc manager always delievers [bless him] - and if something is delayed then lets me know, tho these days, they have set email notifications on the system which is handy anyhow, not gonna go on bout it again lol *shakes ric's hand* I *will* own your APC cab [one day] lol Cheers N.
  8. lol what a luser indeed hehe ...tho theres alot of folk in the same thinking as Bisley - plenty where I am unfortunately. I hope the goverment or unions or whatever] one day shake the division between both the teaching staff and support staff - teachers have got to stop thinking that they are "of higher status" otherwise schools will be filled with loads of teachers... ...but nothing else in them lol Regards N.
  9. its not just u mate - i "nod my head" to all the problems in this thread. I seem to have a combined total of them lol - Not given any status above ICT Technical Support [or whatever the current term is for IT dogsbody] despite running the servers, deciding on GP, being the first line of IT support to teachers/staff [i.e. everyone coming to me with problems], installing network switches and infrastructure [minus room > room links hehe], quoting of new hardware and software, liasing with county/external suppliers, etc... - "What I am allowed to do (it seems) is be a jumped up technician with low pay who does the hard slog, and who then facilitates the systems' manager getting the praise and solidifying his position." [couldnt have put it better myself my idea of housing pc's seemed to get misplaced to others - no credit given when shown to others] - er.... I won't go on /rant Nath.
  10. @ Ric [you just need the right acc manager mate lol ]
  11. nice one russ nice 'n' simple script Nath
  12. Same thing here, although he was the technology teacher - the job got put upon him so to speak. I agree with you rob - they should be qualified to do it, but then again, some of us arent so........*walks off whistling* Nath
  13. I thought I'd bump this one to enquire as to whether anyone has had the problem with loading prodesktop 8.0 [sP1] in a user not an administrator at all? Check out the following post: http://www.prodesktop.net/cgi-bin/dcforum3/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=122&forum=DCForumID18 (my post is at the bottom ) The tech staff are asking me to put the old version on now - which is fine but means a bit of manual work lol Please post on there (and here) if you know the solution. Interestingly, the tech teacher got told that they were bringing in some sort of support thing [probably a forum] to help educational users with their technical problems on ProD, but whether thats true or not, I cant say for sure. Regards all Nath
  14. tarquel

    Cisco IOS

    but if u r *meant* to be able to access it from the website, they should help out. I doubt sending a cd out will be needed. But then again, I dont know cisco so there we go lol Just basing it on previous co.'s I've dealt with on similar matters. Cheers Nath
  15. once they revamp the part of the school my server room is in, it'll be up there on my essentials list N.
  16. tarquel

    Cisco IOS

    ...or a direct link of some sort. [cd? they'd charge ya lol] N.
  17. @andy: lol Who's will overheat first? So long as theres space around the edges then we should be ok. The cab is too small lol My KVM is only a cheap one - belkin 4-way one - just the job though wish I'd got a bigger one now. Wow! thats nice ric - how much was it tho? [not that it wud fit in my room lol] Nath
  18. never had those problems with any ati card / system i've had/built/repaired. Minus-ME that is - but who uses ME anyhow? (some poor saps I know lol ) N.
  19. The only time i get to keep up with all-thing IT is outside of work at the moment (or should that be "for the past 4 years" lol) so I'm always on the computer/internet. better to watch a screen and be interactive [computer/console], than to just watch one like a zombie [tv] IMO lol That said, i was drinking away last nite ...but afterwards ended up playing FF online until 6.45am lol [gotta relax right lol] Cheers N
  20. *attempts not to explode on this subject ....again lol* Hi MuppetQueen. You sound in the same situation as a lot of us on here - especially those in some of the school where they dont fully see the ICT situation in education [and just cant afford everything involving ICT in schools too lol]. I've been here [at this post] for 8 years [26 in just over a month lol] and have never had any real training. I have mentioned it along time ago, that MS have proper course I could do but as always, no money - blah blah.... The only courses i have been on is a first aid course [obvious not relevent to ict lol tho i do believe there is meant to be a fully qulified person in ICT, Caretaking, and Sports - along with the normal first aider in charge - but i could be wrong] and a php training course inside the county - both of which I asked them about. Being offered training is a new one on me lol tho yes, it was in my job description no doubt. Being low paid means that I cant afford to do the courses either so its a lose-lose situation with me lol Lucky I'm never off the internet, forums, developing, learning, etc etc - and teachers think they do a lot of preperation work [if only they realised] Regards N.
  21. here here Rob N.
  22. @Chris: Thought it was 7800 GT's - was even gonna put it in my prev post lol Cheers N.
  23. hehe it came this afternoon, along with the lovely looking proliant HP ProLiant ML150 G2 and the rather large [too large for my stupid small wall-mounted cabinet Grrrrr] APC Smart-UPS 1500VA [wayyyyy too deep lol] And a few other things too. Never got to play or fit the switch tho - mores the pity I've had to put the APC on the worksurface [an elaborate term for such a crap area to put servers on lol] and ....wait for it.... put the new server on top of it lol Seems happy enough - i just have no space to put it anywhere else - the rails may allow me to fit the APC in the cab but i doubt it lol ahem.... /rant Regards N.
  24. [topic name renamed - ] Has anyone tried the sql / db and webpage way of helping users know how much credit they have (left)? I did try it but didnt have any luck [ver 5.5 tho] Cheers N.
  25. If this is the reason, please look through the sticky'd thread: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4 IF not, keep postin hehe:) Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...