-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Nice point Dan I think we all know it tho lol but worth mentioning always. I cant say for every printer manufacturer, but with epson inkjet's,its definately true. As the ol' saying goes... "You get what you pay for" Cheers N.
-
Whoops - forgot to comment on the thread lol Seperate is best for security. Our staff have absolutely ZERO concept of it. I grow tired of continually explaining it to them to NOT LEAVE YOURSELVES LOGGED IN! *ahem* excuse the ranting lol teachers do it.... SMT do it (inc the ICT Co-ordinator).... Seperate all the way lol N.
-
Not true chris I have found ways around that, despite what our sims folk tell us hehe NTFS permissions on: C:\Program Files\SIMS .net\ to Full Controll for everybody / Anonymous Logon (havent tried just Modify rights - but that might do) Make sure that it replicates throughout the directory i.e. so that all files and folders within that folder have those NTFS permissions and job done You may think that dangerous, but if you have hidden & disallowed access to C drive for your users, they wont see it to change it anyhow Enjoy Nath.
-
hmmm it is a odd one. Has anyone changed any access rights at all recently - since it was working fine? Is the C drive hidden by GP? was it before the error occured? It could well be a update - we all know how sometimes they mess something up lol Regards N.
-
Ok.... Can you tell us more on how you have setup your GP and user groups? i.e. some of the questions that come to mind are: - do you have different User groups? and is it happening to every different user group (i.e. staff, pupil, special, evening, guest, etc)? er... i did have more but not feeling too good at the moment Has your network drastically changed at all? I used to have the DNS address set in TCP/IP on the cflient pc's which sped up logon - otherwise the clients would search the WAN for the DNS / DC server. Since setting up the firewall/router, i have had to remove that setting and leave it on automatic, but you might want to try it on a client to see whether that helps But pls post nore regarding your setup so we can suggest more. Cheers N.
-
[moved due to request from mod] plus wiki'ed too anyhow lol Regards N.
-
Any luck crc-ict? Nath.
-
lmao *big thumbs up* [...but you know this should be posted elsewhere in the forum ;) ] Nath.
-
Sorry about being unclear [if you use msn, PM me ] On every post, in the column next to the username of the poster, there is the date, time and post subject. You can see a little icon which is a link to that specific post. By placing the cursor over it, you can right-click and copy the shortcut to the post or click it and it will put the address to that post in the Address bar of the browser. I've added an attachment to show you where I mean With bookmarking topic's, under one of the sections in the forum i.e. General Chat, you'll see a list of topics. You can right-click on one of them and Copy Shortcut on that as the address you copy (just like with a individual post address) will remain the same [...unless the topic, post is removed maybe of course - but I'm not sure what would happen in this case] Hope that helps a bit more Regards Nath.
-
whooops - didnt notice what u meant mark. I've already suggested this to DB off edugeek. Expect to see a new area on this when he gets to to add it ...but dont quote me on it Regards Nath
-
u can mark lol (I think) DB... isnt there some printer thing in 2003 GP? Or am I imagining it again? lol I thought I had seen something but never bothered with it - yet. Just seeing things again no doubt. To be fair to MS tho - 2003 GP over NT/9x policies are much much MUCH better to use. I had to write a custom adm for 9x back then - sill using it now for the 98 pc's on the 2k3 domain Regards N.
-
hmmm.... regarding you Office 2k install... Is it a vanilla "off-the-cd" install? I/we asume that you have the C drive hidden and unaccessible (tho the system can obviously use it regardless lol) in the GP settings right? Your best bet is to make a administrative install point and use that to install - making sure users can access that directory. You also need to use the office 2k adm's to make the default dir to save in, as the home dir that you have mapped when a user logs on (H: usually). I find this works best for 2k. Office XP and above seem more forgiving. I also used the Office 2k resource kit to customise things a bit - i.e. like prepopulating saving to H: drive in the install, layout setttings, etc. Its takes a little time but soo worth it in the end - installing is a doddle then Cheers Nath
-
Yep yep... As Geoff suggests or by right-clicking the topic link in the list and "add to favourites". If you want to link a particular post in a topic, highlight the little icon next to "Posted: Mon Sep 05..." in the post and you'll see its a link - copy the shortcut or add it directly to the favourites by choosing "Add to favourites". Job done Regards N.
-
go for it mark I would if i was nearer N.
-
I'll mirror it also if required Regards Nath
-
lol dont mention Evesham - I know a firm that uses them only, and the crap they've had with problem orders, things not being sent, specifically asked for items being wrong, etc etc etc. They have a proper account with them too and put alot of money there way so it dont bode really does it? Novatech I've had dealings with in the past and there stuff has been good, but they do tend to use un-heard of motherboards (maybe not all the time - I havent bought much stuff through them really) in the system they *have* built - which for me is a big no no. Nothing worse than no support for that - being the heart of the machine. We had a novatech machine that lasted a good 5 years (1G Athlon I think) but for some reason, just wouldnt install windows when I came to wipe it. Motherboard given up the ghost i think. But they are very good - and the glass TFT's I'd be interested in simon in the future (do they last tho?) Regards Nath
-
glad that you pointed out your dyslexic or people might be offended. Might be considered "bad form dear boy" (posh mood tonight - its really been one 'ell of a day lol) Not me cause not much offends me - except working with idiots lol - but you see what I mean Cheers Nath.
-
Best solution is to have the whole pc's out of sight of the pupils/staff/everyone. Not expensive either - a few cheap cupboards (and a good lock on each one) with the backs knocked out (providing the backs are going to be against the wall lol) and some ps/2 & vga extension leads (usb extension leads if youre gonna be allowing USB pen devices and audio extension leads if your gonna have speakers/headphones attached to the side of the monitors or something) and some 4/6-way power extension blocks (or whatever they are called) and you are laughing Works for me - the systems just run and they cant do bugger all to mess them up - GP permitting [i might post the pics some day ] Regards N.
-
out of stock eh? that sucks lol N.
-
lol exactly where i was going in the previous post in the courses section of the forum lol I have never had the cash from either my pitiful wages or funding from the school to do any "proper" certifications or decent courses, so how does one (to sound all posh) manage to get another job without them if establishments want applicants to have them when applying? I dunno how I'm gonna get out of the rut i'm in :( N.
-
I'll try anything just to get a qualification or two to support the 8 years of job experience i have in finding a new job - enough has been enough today. Anyone close got a offer for me? (PM away ) Its gotta be better to do it and getting the certification - no matter what MS one it is, than to not do any of them at all surely? I'm *that* desperate at the moment lol Cheers, N
-
Kewl - let me now how it goes N.
-
Teacher Laptops - Internet Settings when offline
tarquel replied to ajbritton's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Well she hardly talks to either of us now apart from the odd grunt. Sounds familiar @Tony: Hey - I'm not knocking it It sounds a good idea - but each school is different that all. The admin staff for example think that they can install whatever programs they like - regardless of licensing - so they now cannot see the C drive or access it. Same goes for the D drive. Currently have to leave the A drive available as some *still* use floppy for things - as stupid as that is when it comes to storing work on them. Of course, all standard locked-down users that cant install stuff - lovely ...as I dont care how much they *need* a program. No license & no cash for it = no chance lol Cheers n. -
Yep - lol - you dont have them on a seperate disk in your workstation then? I've got a disk "hanging" in the DC for the WSUS partiton and also for holding a few disk images. I need a bigger drive in it tho Regards Nath
-
Excellent - a few questions then if you dont mind? a) Did you use the physical folders previously? and do you prefer them over the software version or does the software version work well? b) Do you install the client software onto each client or do you use a network shared version? (The later may not work for me as the curriculum is on a seperate network to the admin network where the bromcom system is installed and setup - shares wont work there, although maybe i could make a shared install on the curriculum DC - what do ya think?) I also got told by our bromcom acc manager who came to see us around xmas time that a msi version was being looked at but I havent heard anymore on it - do you know of one at all? is it out? etc etc. i.e. i'd prefer this way alot better really SMT's "are go" lol A interesting concept lol Regards Nath.
