-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
The GP should be able to overide it I'm sure - just check the relevent secctions which are being applied to the users. At least, mine will - right down to what theme you want. 2003 domain? Nath.
-
I hate to bump my post but has anyone got any ideas? I've got a load of irrate staff here, and I need to get it sorted smehow.... I just dont understand if i log in as a local Administrator, it works fine - but if i log in as any domain member [inc domain administrator] i get the error message. Everything else of it seems to work fine, but the HP Director will not run no matter what I do Any ideas?
-
I personally do the same a DB - handy for the ser to be able to delete his/her own documents that they "didnt mean to print" lol With it locked down right, it works well.... However, there must be a way as you wouldnt have that icon in a Kiosk style interface lol G2g... Nath
-
As DB says, and also, is it in your OU / GP tree? or is the computer object just sitting in the default Computers folder in AD? DNS server list : 10.67.15.3 Sent update to server : 10.1.1.1 (SHOULDNT THIS BE ABOVE ADDRESS ?) Possibly - if it is refering to DNS info sent to the server. Bit more info though would be handy...ie... - Is this a new pc you have only just got? - Has it worked previously? - Have you tried redeploying the machine or wiping the PC and starting from scratch? Just a few things to let us know there too - might help Cheers N.
-
Hi all Having a amusing day today but anyway.... Been asked if I can get all the HP PSC's to work with scaning documents into word again i.e. OCR style. Now, I uninstalled the old version that was there, then used the AIO removal tool, and then installed the current version of the driver / software package. All went well.... until i tried to actually run the HP Director then I got this error message: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&docname=c00043804&product=79488&dlc=en&lang=en Obviously, I've already what it details already, but is there something i've overlooked? Can anyone suggest a easier way of doing it? Lucky I rarely wipe these PC's in question lol Any help is appreciated guys Nath
-
Ooo - gonna have to play with this [and edit hehe] later Nice job PS Tony - Can you edit your post and "tag" the code for ppl - just to help readability etc Nath.
-
Urgent Help!!! Year 10 folders have been deleted
tarquel replied to StewartKnight's topic in Windows
Same here - I dont even get to know if a pupil hasnt signed their AUP.... what a mess lol N. -
lmfao good idea Stewart Then we'll all shout "NO THANKS! I dont want your stuff" hehe
-
Yep - thats similar to what I have too. In learning GP and AD as I went along, the first thing thats important [iMO] is organisation hehe Then, i dont think it was wrote above hehe, define a seperate GPO [i dont know how Geoff's method works hehe] and call it something meaningful to the task and configure the software installation accordingly. Then link that GPO to the OU of the target machines and give 'em a restart hehe You may want to test it out first on a single machine in your room or something like I do [i use my only IT admin workstation as the guinea pig hehe]. EDIT: Damn these ppl beating me to my anwser hehe *sobs* Cheers N
-
I had a similar thng like that - office supplies type ppl... Lyreco or sumthin - all very nicey nicey, and keen - even came and visited [one of them pretty hot too - bonus hehe] but they were very good at the sales crap... They went off and I managed to beat their prices - they were really confused and said I dont see how they [insight] can sell that low - thats less than our cost price etc [yeah right]. The accounts woman ordered some paper from them but there was a lot of nastiness and stuff from them so she didnt ever since. Sales people eh? ')
-
Too true - which is why I'll probably not bother with it. I just dont have the time - i regularly [each day] visit the same 3 or more forums. I dont think i can spare the time for another lol Cheers Nath
-
Remind them that you are paying them, not them paying you Rob hehe Nath
-
We have a SLA with Konica and had a new unit the other month.... KONICA MINOLTA 7272/7255 PS [not sure which one without going to see it - thats the printer driver of course] Does the job and although some initial problems - their fault not mine - it seems to work ok. The staff havent been versed in using it tho as a networked photocopier, but its not my prob hehe - I've sorted the setup of the drivers etc. so its up to the management I'd say Cheers N
-
Everyone getting the email should reply back saying "thank you for the interest in the school but we currently use a techie forum called ...." Then, in a delicious irony, he'll get his spam back lol N.
-
It *may* say that you have to use toner from them also in that printer you get. I'm pretty sure its a big ol' fashioned con. Like the time when someone rang me saying they'd send out a toner to evaluate how good their "compatibles" really were...and gave me the impression that it was free. Fast speaking woman she was too She said that we could try the toner then we either sent it back after 14 days or something, or we paid for it. And i'm sure the price of them would have been the same or higher than a original cart. I got worried quick - because the slightest recieving of goods without it being ordered is a crime beyond all humanity - so i promptly said No thanks - then she tried to tell me that it was really good and carried on trying to convince me. I got a bit stern and she sounded a little pissed off and finally hung up thankfully. Like the charity conners, they will be recording the call and if you say that you agree, they've got you - they pray on the fact that you dont know that you cant use a un-authorised voice recording in a court of law - but they could say that it doesnt record the bit that tells you you are being recorded hehe .....short story - steer clear hehe Nath
-
And how is 1 dollar bill - even if u were in the US - gonna help sway you to do the survey? hehe Hell - it would have to be a good few dollars to get me to do a survey that is probably not worth the time to do lol If they sent out a £5 note - then i might consider it hehe Nath
-
Assistant Network Managers admin rights.
tarquel replied to tosca925's topic in How do you do....it?
True, but its rare that the ICT Co-ord uses Administrator - usually only when i'm not in school... if he has to lol And as he rarely remembers the password, its no real problem But i do see your point - I might make a new user for him to use when he needs to do anything admin Cheers N. -
I'm a real numpty when it comes to websites....
tarquel replied to indiegirl's topic in How do you do....it?
I do believe Mambo is still going tho - but I do like Joomla [hehe.... @ tony] Nath. -
I'm a real numpty when it comes to websites....
tarquel replied to indiegirl's topic in How do you do....it?
Be careful with this Pandora's Box tho as there are alot of rules and regs to conform to with websites - especially when it comes to school websites. Like for example, we had someone send in a letter of complaint about the website not being bilingual and so the head thanked me for my previous efforts but asked me to remove it. I did before i left yesterday, but as i reminded her, I've heard that there is some sort of policy that says schools have to provide basic contact details at the bare minimum via the web, so I knocked up a 5 minute [if that] notepad hand-writen peice of rubbish. Just visit the site and you shall see hehe [ http://www.broddyfi-hs.powys.sch.uk ] Obviously, bilingual doesnt affect you but I've heard that all schools in wales whether they be bilingual or not may *have* to conform to having a bilingual website. There are also the accessibility & readability regs and so on.... Not trying to scare you off - and I'm sure there will be a good CMS that conforms to it. Unfortunately for us as we are classed as a bilingual school, I dont know whther we have to provide a website or not. Luckily the county have got something in the pipeline with this so that'll be fine by me. I imagine that in some cases, you might not be able to get a external company in - in our case, all our webspace/domain/etc is hosted via the county so an outside party that isnt a employee of the county might not be able to work on county property...... um..... ......not to be negative that is hehe You might want to contact your LEA about whether they have any info regarding website policies etc. Just my 2....er.......10p hehe Nath -
Oh right - .exe ban all around eh? NOT good for IT techies hehe
-
um....guys - I think your straying from what was asked hehe e_g_r - I have a half 98SE and half XP setup here - ALL connecting on our 2003 SP1 domain controllers.... *take a bow* It *is* possible and it *does* work. Not 100% sure what you mean there... can you re-word it so half-asleep folk like me can understand :) If you wanna chat on MSN about anything - feel free. I think I've got it as locked down and workable as it'll get without 3rd party software Cheers N.
-
All the techies in your area should ask for relaxed filtering on specific IP's I'd say... At least, thats we did in Powys, and fair play - it was sorted out well. One example: *especially* if you cant access MS stuff - because that would possibly mean no WU and not hotfixes - so regarding that aspect they either need to give full access to all regarding the MS sites [exceot msn of course hehe] or allow you specific IP addresses that can have pretty much everything allowed [except porn of course hehe] so you can set up a WSUS to do the updating. Cheers
-
and another one..... http://www.tips4techs.co.uk/ [link from http://www.schooltechnician.co.uk/] and.... no - none of them are by me lol DB may have beaten me to the chase as it were, but i'm not sad enough to start another one -whats the point? lol [just incase anyone is wondering hehe ] Cheers Nath
-
hehe all sounds familiar.... I have got a new mobile [contact phone] and have had my old contact mobile [still active] off for the past 4 or so weeks.... Was just sick of the constant calls from staff members & SMTs - voice mail in particular. Leaving a message that I have to retreive which costs 50p a min in peak time - and when i started to get multiple messages in the same day, that was enough... I have no problem with external ppl - like the county, suppliers & support/warranty companies calling as they all know not to leave messages, but it was getting stupid. The biggie is that I dont even have a phone in my "office" so every time I need to call a supplier or a company etc, i have to go across the school looking for a phone thats free. This *hopefully* will be resolved when we get the VoIP system - most likely after Xmas - but its been a long time coming. Hacked off is putting it lightly I'm sure Cheers N.
-
I thought I had hehe I'll check it now Cheers Nath
