Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. was the driver no good that i gave you the link to? Nath.
  2. Sorry - i should have mentioned, both domains are on the same site. I forget schools/establishments have different sites sometimes lol Both networks coming from that firewall [i.e. the curriculum and the admin] are physically seperate networks and only connect at this firewall. I know about the AD trusts thingy - its what ports/protocols/etc to set up in the firewall policy that I'm after Nath.
  3. Oooo that looks nice Nath.
  4. if you are using the two floppy's, then the second presumably has the ghost.exe on it. I guess you "could" copy the first boot disk for him, but even so, I believe that the first has copyrighted software on it which would still be illegal hehe I'm know it sounds like I'm nit-picking - but I'm not meaning to really lol The drive and file with the settings would be the best bet really "just-in-case" but providing that file exists on driverguide, he should be fine anyhow Cheers Nath
  5. Hi all I've been wondering how to allow domains to comunicate with each other through the firewall I have. The layout is like this: | <- County WAN connection | #### <- Our firewall/vpn unit #### | | | | <- Curriculum Domain / network 172.16.0.x | +----.. . . . . | | <- Admin Domain / network 172.16.10.x : Is there any way i could create a trust between the two? Would the AD sync the usernames at all? Even if that isn't possible for some reason, does anyone happen to know what services I could run between them at all? and has anyone a handy [small-ish] list of ports and services to allow for specific things etc? I know this sounds confusing - but i'm just trying to think of ways to help ease things between the two networks - and possibly allow SIMS .NET on specific IP computers on the curriculum domain that can talk to the admin network in a limited fashion. Cheers Nath
  6. bear in mind that this would "technically" be illegal mrforgetful. You'd be better off making a .img file of the disk [cant remember the proggy to do it - there are more than one - but its freely available]. Please please do not provide a link openly on here too. PM if ya have to Cheers Nath.
  7. http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/61/61126.htm notice on the file list it shows a NDIS directory Give that a whirl Nath.
  8. http://whitepapers.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025945,60113240p-39000690q,00.htm Something like this then steve [presumably if its a Dell hehe] Nath.
  9. Hi everyone I have been trying to get some help regarding trying out censornet on a old server I have, but alas, they dont wanna know - "MD5".... yeah right! lol Have a looky here: http://forum.censornet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1672 Has anyone got any ideas on this as its driving me mad and i really want to try it. I dont have any other suitable machine really to use instead of it, so im kinda stumped. Any thoughts? Nath.
  10. I sometimes just terminate a socket inside the patchett [no idea of the spelling there hehe] and ....hmmm - the short story is all they see is a blanking plate hehe so they cant pull it out Might try to get a picture at some point to explain. Nath.
  11. Blind, would be nice to see how differently [or the same] IT Techie staff are treated over in the states. I know some of us have a hard time with management and getting them to understand whats needed in IT and what is essential for pupil improvement. Now can you get time off for the conferences we have? hehe Nath.
  12. Network error in the switch perhaps - have you tried swapping each switch on that segment of the network with a known working one, to see whether it is that? Is it just that PC or have you tried another one? Have you tried another network card or tried different drivers? Just a few suggestions to start with... N.
  13. [[[ Bear in mind all that the public beta offer is now closed and that the beta does run out after a certain time - cant remember offhand, but its probably on the website ]]] Cheers Nath
  14. Sounds good - yet another tool to suggest to the SMTs Nath.
  15. ADMT - ha, i did remember correctly... Theres a first [tho technically, its not a hard one to guess at lol ] N.
  16. Welcome welcome welcome Everyone has beaten me to the suggestions I was gonna suggest anyhow, but I will say... Dont be too hard on the predecessor though as theres probably good cause for the way he has done things and the lack of documentation. I've got about 100 odd machines - and have to literally do everything relating to IT [except SIMS using and bromcom/e-reg using - have SLAs for that] and I have to admit that my documentation is lacking too. Its a case of mainly lack of time and a high expectation of other things as priority to be done from the management [its not a nasty pick at the management here, its just a explanation as to why]. Its also hard for me to justify setting up a full-blown helpdesk for just myself. Ppl moaning at me to have break.... Nath
  17. I tend towards MPC too, although VLC does have its plus points. ditto... whack it on a share - make a shortcut that all the staff can see [ive not put it on pupils Start Menu hehe] and job done Nath.
  18. DMcCoy has the best idea - at least, thats what worked with me [tho i couldnt manage to get the passwords to carry over as it seemed to imply that it needed 2000 not NT 4 lol but gave me the option to reset them all to a single password or to the same as the username etc - u get a few options in any case]. I have commented in another thread how i did it - if u wanna search... but it basically was having a differently named domain on the new 2003 server / DC and migrating the users from the old NT domain to the new 2003 DC using the ADMT tool [i think thats the name] from MS. I exported the user shares [in the registry] to a reg file, then moved the home dir HDD into the new server, made the drive/partition letters the same, and imported the user dir shares. Then ran that ADMT tool and it all went beautifully - with the bonus of not having crap imported from the old domain, which is what i was worried about Regards Nath.
  19. This is part of the reason why I'd prefer a Media Center "type" machine instead of Sky+. Nath.
  20. I'll join in after the dogs finished if its a dell laptop lol Nath.
  21. "Please time to remain calm while we fit you in to our already busy schedule" Here's one they should say: "if you cant understand what the advisor is saying, please hang up and try again, or preferably, wait until someone else calls instead" hehe I didnt even notice that it was a month old topic when i posted earlier. I just felt pity as no one had replied Nath.
  22. Well generally, you should always try to use the latest version of windows installer - for that very reason. Alas, it doesnt work like that with ISScript which they also use i believe as a program needs the same version as it was made with - which is daft. However, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, you can get around this by editing the p/code of the ISScript packages and then deploy them via GP to all machines. Thats what i do at least [ver 8-11 ive got on everywhere] Cheers Nath
  23. Like what Ric mentioned petectid? Not sure that the thread should be in this section tho hehe Cheers Nath
  24. Also, may i add my two cents to this.... I've discovered that if you are using roaming profiles, that ActiveStudio PE comunicates with that directory alot.... let me explain a touch more.... I have alot of laptops with AS PE2 installed [deployed via GP using a admin point - works a treat.... minus the driver manual configure] and previously, I had those staff using roaming profiles.... Now, i discovered that [apart from those people not being able to use the laptop off of the network - roaming profiles are a no go for off-network users btw] that the ones that were furthest away [in the physical networking sense] from the DC / Fileserver, were getting terrible trouble with AS PE2 being incredibly slow. The network is particularly slow in that area anyhow - being at the end of the network - but AS just wouldnt respond. After turning off roaming profiles for that user, moving any work off the laptop, deleting the local copy of the user profile, and logging back in as that user... when starting AS PE2 & allowing the profile / settings of the program to point to the local My Docs etc - AS PE2 worked full speed ahead. So i had no need to look at the A/V and such. Hope that may help some people with some speed problems they cant work out. Cheers Nath
  25. lol I'll be glad of the support. I hope i might be able to ask them why their product is so faulty when it comes to setup? and why you have to disable hardware acceleration [in some cases] when its all about 3D in the first place? hehe But throw in a thx for it being free ...maybe thats why hehe Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...