Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

rich_tech

Members
  • Posts

    2,374
  • Joined

Everything posted by rich_tech

  1. Interesting one, I know that the head wouldn't sanction that in the school I worked in unless they were going to the police and the official request came in through them via formal means, CCTV footage was similar at the time, though I am nearly 3 years out of education and pre-gdpr
  2. are the 4 subnets all 254 devices ? or /24 masks ? We have ours on an IP scheme that I have revised in my time here, its still a work in progress, we have a large 12 site WAN on the go here, so we have lots of segregating by site and then different functional things - i.e. we have wifi ranges/guest ranges/normal PC access/server/voice/security They can be as complicated as you want really, there's no "set way" really to network, you can have it as simple or as complex as needs be. though obviously the more complex, in operation it is also in management, I would say with your 4 subnets that if their being used and not full and operational, not causing you massive grief, I would leave them be. Here - Printers/APs/Security Cameras and Servers are all statics, everything else is DHCP controlled.
  3. I’m studying for their Resilia foundation at the moment, exam booked for early January after having a four day course on it, I would say their quite involved and you have to get used to thinking about the questions in a certain way, which is why I’m finding it painful
  4. Lol I saw that article and saw Secure email, we have that in use as well within one of our business, each staff site required a mobile phone for part of the password reset process there, it was fun. I put that there should anyone require a service with faxes in this day and age, you could even port your numbers over to them I believe and anyone faxing to a number then can just have them redirected into an email inbox I think a line with a private number on these only costs £30 a year, which is cheaper than £11 a month for line rental if its receive only, sending is cheap enough too on there, though we are a heavy user of it.
  5. Thats a good shout, we dont buy fax machines in our company anymore, we still have to send them and receive them though because of our dealings with the NHS and doctors surgeries with one of our companies. Would recommend - http://www.faxtastic.co.uk as a decent alternative to having the machines, decent and reliable.
  6. Easiest way to tell - log onto your domain registrar (company who the domain is registered with) control panel and see if its pointing to their default name servers - if it isn't most stick a warning there saying their not the active nameservers. Or use a lookup tool website https://mxtoolbox.com/ - theres plenty of options you can use to check there.
  7. Different isp servers take different amounts of time to propagate the changes, it’s not unusual here for our updates to work instantly, but other isps then like BT take up to 24 hours to update Usually we advise here it can take up to 48 hours to update fully, especially as Google’s dns are based in America (it’s been ages since I used g+ and realised that may not be anymore) Also check your registrar is the active name servers being used and their not being done through a hosting company controlling them, any changes you make in the host panel won’t have an effect if that’s the case and your not actively in control of them
  8. I wangled one of the Sky TV 4K TVs with their black friday deal, I would rather watch stuff these days in the comfort of my settee. At £40 I hope no-one goes, thats ridiculous and the odeon is the worst of all for price gouging with the addons as already stated.
  9. Entire company is on O2, made for an interesting and quiet day Ill wager (Ive been to site so wasnt in the office)
  10. From when I used mine, they work well with a Huawei dongles, I think theres a list for them somewhere, MiFi are alright too but their obviously a more expensive device and require power/charging, whereas the dongle powers off the chromebook.
  11. Thanks for your help all, I have passed them onto our Maintenance department, we didn't fancy sending a Cardiff based contractor up for cost reasons, don't know why
  12. I like her as a doctor, its still a bit too SJW for me with weak writing though, its notably dropped off the last couple of years in quality I think
  13. Hello all, Can anyone recommend us a local network cabling company in the Nottingham area ? Our company is having some cat6 cable run in a premises and would like a decent company to come, terminate and test the cabling for us, Thanks, Rich
  14. The only thing I would say which sparked my reply to being with, is that DPO is a legal position really and I don't think on reading your previous threads and this, that it would be a position I would want to be in, it has certain legal ramifications which just don't seem worth the worry for an NM which is usually at the lower level of management in any school(SMT grade ones exist, but are a rarity), if it was me I would want out of it and the politics associated with it, from an NM point of view, I would really only be wanting to get involved in the access requests that people make of you for data within your systems. But that is just my position in relation to what I have read, I understand that your's is obviously different.
  15. I would think this highlights the previous position as to why you as an NM realistically cannot be a DPO, I would resign as a DPO and save yourself a world of pain not being an SMT member in a school with that role. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/education/ - that's a source for a lot of this and relation to education. GDPR And Safeguarding In Schools: What You Need To Know - Data Protection - UK - Thats worth a look, that being said, Sensitive Data being up on a wall where anyone can potentially read it is probably something that's not great.
  16. usually they do reset it when you join, you usually have to go and get your own card for it, it's worth switching as you don't know if the other person has debt on there and you also may have a supplier in place that takes a standing charge from you (you would notice a chunk of cash a day going if that was the case usually around £3 or more just eaten up for nothing)
  17. It is sad news alright :/
  18. removing the disks like that was probably not the best idea with it switched on, I get you were out of options there, but usually inserting more than 1 disk at a time on a SAN is fraught as they try to rebuild any raids or vdisks, usually automatically as part of their operating procedure especially if they detect fails or offline disks, reinserting them could ave triggered them being wiped clean to re-add into the setup. I would say check and see on the backend if its rebuilding anything raid wise at the moment, it may well have booted up from a basic image and still be checking the rest. If your school is desperate though I would say back off now and dont use the server or run any recovery tools and look to specialists like Kroll Ontrack https://www.ontrack.com/uk/ if its pupil examination work that your after, though their not cheap.
  19. I have liked it ever since seeing Colin Baker growing up, I don't think I've enjoyed it as much since the big stories here, the likes of The End of Time and Day of the Doctor, they really upped it a notch I felt in terms of effort, stuff since then has been good(I liked Torchwood and Miracle Day here ±_±), but overall writing hasn't hit the heights consistently for me, I like Jodie Whittaker, I just don't think their doing her justice at the moment
  20. It's losing my interest now, shes still a good doctor, the writing is still weak and I think just its obviously going in a direction that I feel is a bit too SJW/PC now for me to stomach, which is hard considering its the Beeb which is the supposed bastion of all things PC in the modern age.
  21. I am on Resilia atm (ITIL CyberSec/Resilience), going for CCDA early next year, I also wouldn't touch MS qualifications, their not worth it IMO.
  22. That is a comical rewording of their general terms, I cant imagine a court taking that seriously though
  23. This was on another documentary series on Netflix the other day - The Toys that made us, seems to be a quirky little town, even the area seems rich in Lego history (there's a house that was built and designed by Ols Christiansen among the other lego history) Its weird seeing that they came horribly close to bankruptcy as well and no one seemed to realize at the time.
  24. wasn't bad, wasn't great either I felt, I don't mind either way if the doctor is male or female, Jodie Whittaker seems decent and its going in a different direction that's easy enough to see from that episode, though its only going to be as good as the writing and lately I have felt that its not so great, so I am a bit apprehensive, I liked Capaldi too, but felt that the writing and plots were lacking bigtime for his doctor, that's not improved looking at it for this one so far, plots seem clunky and have been for a while.
  25. it is a shame, I felt it had a better user experience than fb as far as I was concerned, I liked the layout on there myself
×
×
  • Create New...