-
Posts
445 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Gerry
-
I've had a little experience. I've been trying it out on some noname netbooks that were purchased - Windows XP took 15 minutes to get to the desktop so they were given to me to try and speed up. Only problem is that with any Linux distro the CPU runs at 1/2 speed. If I apply the patch to unlock it to it's full 1.2Ghz, after a short time it freezes :-( You should be able to install whatever you like. AFAIK the only changes to the system are the menu which takes over the whole screen, touchscreen support and accessibility. IIRC it also uses some software that removes window bars (minimize, restore, close etc.) and makes it fill the screen. Handy trick: if a window is too big for the screen and some buttons are hidden, hold down ALT and then left-click anywhere in the window (hold that down too) - now you can drag the window around. Where does it say in the docs about not being able to install some stuff?
-
In my first on-the-road driving lesson, the instructor asked me if I knew what the circular thing in front of me was for. I asked him if he was kidding! Apparently, from his experience, some people hadn't got a clue what it's for
-
After having installed the GOLA software many times, this is a first for me... I had previously installed ESM on a PC which had Acrobat 7 already installed (a bit behind the times but it should've worked fine). A demo test was done and worked, tests downloaded and ran without a hitch. Then we try to view the score reports - Acrobat pops-up with a blank page. We try to print, the Epson laser whines that the printout requires paper of a different size, we tell it to continue with A4, every time it starts to print but stops with about an inch of paper sticking out and starts complaining about a jam! To make matters stranger, if I return to my office, remotely access the ESM PC, score reports are displayed just fine! I've tried removing all printer drivers, upgrading Acrobat to V9 and repairing ESM to no avail. I've already called tech support - they're stumped and are supposedly moving the problem to the "next level". I'm really trying to avoid re-imaging... Any ideas folks?
-
I doubt the fullstop is part of the filename, just as a sentence finisher. You can try opening in OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite There's also this page from MS: How to troubleshoot damaged presentations in PowerPoint 2003 and in PowerPoint 2002
-
Turn everything off at the plug except 1/2 the monitors. If it trips you know which 1/2 is causing the problem. Repeat until you're left with the faulty monitor(s).
-
Had a quick play with it. Looks good. Here's my wishlist of features: Changeable system tray icon "Push" notification i.e. forcing a message to display whenever we want Prioritized messages - e.g. "High" in red, "Medium" in amber, "Low" in blue and with "Critical" messages that will display in a larger window
-
Looks like Vincent D'Onofrio from "Men In Black" - still in character
-
Not seen it, but a friend has: Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (2004) (V)
-
This is the general format of a VBS script we use to set-up printers through AD: Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") on Error Resume Next Printer1="\\servername\printername" 'Deletes all network printers Set clPrinters = WshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections On Error Resume Next For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2 WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true Next 'Sets up printers WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection Printer1 WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter Printer1 If you don't want to set one of the network printers as default (perhaps a USB printer is connected), then comment out or delete the last line. The only problem we have is if the printer driver isn't already on the PC, we have to log-in using a domain admin account to allow the driver to install. It's been making us scratch our heads for a while, but not a big problem so we haven't pursued it much.
-
I agree, pretty boring. But IIRC they were evolved robots. Mission to Mars was pretty good... until the ending. There are some truly awful "video nasties" that were unbanned. Here's two I can remember: The Driller Killer (1979) The Burning (1981) Oh, and any movie by Uwe Boll is atrocious, for example: Postal (2007) In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007) BloodRayne II: Deliverance (2007) (V) Alone in the Dark (2005) I can't understand how this guy is still making movies. One of his current projects is listed as "Darfur" - I think the UN needs to step in and put the kybosh on him.
-
Microsoft's site says you need Exchange to share calendars
-
I thought I'd get a few Zimbra votes! Unfortunately, they'll be using Outlook, and it looks like only the Professional edition (which costs £) supports it.
-
Hello folks, There's a teacher here running a short course on using Outlook. They've asked if I can come up with a free solution to using an MS Exchange server. I've already done a bit of research to find out what's out there, but I'd like to get your thoughts on the subject. The students will be: * E-mailing only themselves in a private network. * Sharing calendars * Sending meeting requests Having a Global Address List would also be nice. Thanks. P.S. I've got some Linux experience.
-
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
-
Thanks guys, you've confirmed my thoughts. I think they'll be taking donations, so have advised the teacher to get permission (in writing) from the publisher(s).
-
The event wouldn't be sponsored AFAIK. That's what I was thinking. Since I don't have some Terms & Conditions and/or EULA for a game handy, I was going on the assumption that it would be similar to music/movie copyright - i.e. illegal in a public environment.
-
A teacher just phoned asking for advice for his students on running an XBox charity event for the Air Ambulance. The only thing I could think of is problems with copyright/licensing and suggested they contact the publishers of the game(s) they would like to use. Anyone else with any thoughts?
-
Government warns: Too much caffeine can make you "wired".
-
After failing to convince people he really can hear voices in his head, Mr Myamoto tries to record the audio onto his iPod.
-
I'd already checked the event log on both PC's - nothing unusual. I didn't think to disable the device, but I would've thought that unplugging it would have the same effect... I'll try this anyway. We disable System Restore - can cause even more problems... I really don't want to rollback/reimage the machine - lots of files and software (especially old software from pre-XP days).
-
I have an XP box which has just started to hang on shutdown. It seems to have started after installing a USB-2-VGA adapter. It won't shut down if it's unplugged either or in another USB port. I also have a friend who's experiencing the same problem and he has no USB devices plugged-in at shutdown. Both PC's will get to the power off stage and then just stop with the blue background staying visible. You can even hear the hard drives powering down. Anyone know how to diagnose the cause and/or fix it? Thanks.
-
We have a mix of desktops, our newest being Core 2 Duo's ~2.5GHz with Intel's Q35 chipset. We have some 945 chipsets with Celerons, and some Dell OptiPlex's still in use. The Viglen's got the basics on it (XP SP3 + Office 2007). I've tried Word 2007 on it so far - this seemed quite quick in starting. I'm currently trying to find a free system benchmarker at the moment - any suggestions?
-
Found this about the takeover: Official: Stone and Viglen deal dead in the water I've read quite a few posts here, most were negative about Viglen. I'd particularly like to hear from anyone with recent experience.
-
I've been given a Viglen EQ200 Slim Desktop system to test. It's the one with an Intel Atom. I'm going to run some benchmarks and see how it compares to our current PC's from a different manufacturer. I just wanted to find out what the general feeling is about Viglen desktops and the company. Have you had a good/bad experience with their desktops? What's their support like? etc... Thanks.
