Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Gerry

Members
  • Posts

    445
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gerry

  1. I don't use the UPD's either, heard too many bad things about it. I mostly use PCL but some printers like CP1515 work better with PS.
  2. Found this: Cyfri'r Geifr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  3. Not sure if it'll work, but have you tried creating a shortcut to the app on your desktop and then pinning it to taskbar?
  4. Let me guess, it's got to be either: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_Wlad_Fy_Nhadau]Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] or [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sosban_Fach]Sosban Fach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] and if your son is quite young, probably the latter. Just a little taste of the Welsh language for you folks!
  5. Windows+D : view desktop - similar to Win+M, but press it again and all your windows are restored.
  6. For a number of Control Panel items, I usually open them through Start->Run or rather Windows+R: Add/Remove Programs = appwiz.cpl Computer Managment = compmgmt.msc Disk Managment = diskmgmt.msc Local users and groups = lusrmgr.msc
  7. All our Sammy N130's and N140's are assigned to staff. We haven't got any students using them ATM. We've stuck XP Pro on them and used the latest drivers from Samsung website. It may be that 25 wi-fi connections at the same time is a bit much. The usual recommendation has been max 15 laptops per access point.
  8. We've had a few N130's here (and some N140's). Never had a problem connecting them to our Cisco AP's, but I have had one report of a user having difficulties connecting one at home.
  9. If anyone's interested, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Saint David Some interesting bits in that article.
  10. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode]Pseudocode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
  11. For VBS I use this: VbsEdit - Award-winning VBScript Editor - VBS editor - VBScript debugger - VBS debugger or this: .:: NOTEPAD++ ::. which also supports many other scripting languages. VbsEdit comes with a script repository which is appears to be mostly taken from Microsoft's Script Center You might find this VBScript Tutorial useful though it's more geared towards the web. Microsoft have their own guide and reference: VBScript Three tips for scripting/programming: 1. Keep your code clean and easily readable - I use indents a lot so I can easily see the blocks/loops/conditionals etc... 2. Use comments. Give each function/subroutine a quick description of what it does and comment complex statements. Don't be afraid to go overboard. You can always trim or remove them once your happy with your script. 3. Debugging - with complex VBS I usually use message boxes to display what's being held in variables so I can check the program is doing what it's supposed to. I comment them with "debug" so I can easily find and remove them afterwards.
  12. Before I go and re-install Firefox (and all my plug-ins) from scratch, I thought I'd ask just in case someone knows a quick fix. I can't access google.co.uk through Firefox (it eventually times-out), though it's fine with IE. Google.com works fine with both.
  13. I think I'm correct with this... Factorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If your have 5 words in your list you will get 120 combinations, 6=720 7=5,040 8=40,320 and before you know it your into some massive numbers Actually, not quite right, since your combinations will include ones that aren't made up of the full set and no repetition, but your still talking massive numbers.
  14. Found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/447725 Near the end of the page there's a link to a possible solution:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/500520
  15. There's your problem right there If anyone comes to me with an iProblem I tell them to talk to the Art department...
  16. Try printing a document with large amounts of colour in it. The reason test pages and normal text are fine could be because the large amount of whitespace means the fuser doesn't get as hot as with colour photo's... Sometimes when I test printers, I create a Word doc with the word "TEST" taking up the width of the page, with each letter the colour of the individual toner cartridges. You could also try re-installing/updating/changing the driver. By changing I mean that usually you get PCL and PS versions of the driver, so try the other one instead.
  17. How about trying a GRUB GUI editor? ubuntu grub gui - Google Search
  18. I have still got this: Compurobot George - The Old Robot's Web Site Last time I came across it in the attic I think it was still working...
  19. Give everyone quotas - limits to be reviewed every year... then write some tips on regaining space (e.g. compressing images in Powerpoint/Word, image resize/compression, housekeeping etc...) to give to the whiners. Also, create file storage policy e.g. work files only
  20. Why not just use a security label and/or make note of the serial number on booking sheets? Get the person to sign a form too saying they are responsible for the hardware until it's handed back, otherwise they will be paying for any loss/damages.
  21. Found this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2 Explains what the settings do, and more.
  22. Just checked my dual-boot laptop which works with a 10s countdown. Try changing the line: GRUB_TIMEOUT="0" to GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 Note: no quotes.
  23. This is a VBScript I put together a while back. It works on XP, but hasn't been tested on Windows 7. ' Ignore any errors On Error Resume Next ' define some constants Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 Const STR_GUID_PATH = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileGuid" Const ROOT_PROFILE_PATH = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\" Const SID_STRING = "SidString" ' some variables strProfiles = "" ' Create a shell Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") ' Open the Registry Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:StdRegProv") ' Extract the ProfileGUID entries from the registry returned in arrGUIDs objRegistry.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, STR_GUID_PATH, arrGUIDs ' Process each of the entries in the ProfileGUID For Each objSubkey In arrGUIDs ' Extract the SID from the GUID entry strRegPath = STR_GUID_PATH & "\" & objSubkey objRegistry.GetExpandedStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strRegPath, SID_STRING, sidString ' Extract the profile path from the ProfileList sub tree in the registry relating to the current GUID / SID ProfileRegPath = ROOT_PROFILE_PATH & sidString RegKey = ProfileRegPath & "\ProfileImagePath" profilePath = WSHShell.RegRead (regkey) ' Replace %systemdrive% with "c:" profilePath = replace(profilePath,"%SystemDrive%","C:") ' Extract username from profilePath userName = Right(profilePath, len(profilePath)-InStrRev(profilePath,"\")) ' Create an array containing all the extracted info strProfiles = strProfiles & Username & vbCrLf & "GUID: " & objSubkey & vbCrLf & "SID: " & sidString & vbCrLf & "Path: " & profilePath & vbCrLf & vbCrLf Next Wscript.echo(strProfiles)
  24. Make Learning Office 2007 & 2010 Fun with Ribbon Hero - the How-To Geek
  25. How about: JamStudio.com - Create Music Beats - The online music factory - Jam, remix, chords, loops
×
×
  • Create New...