Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Gerry

Members
  • Posts

    445
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gerry

  1. I've been setting up some laptops with our Windows 7 image, then applying the multitude of updates that have been release since the image was created. Our systems start with the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" screen, then an AUP, then asks for username and password for the domain. After applying the last 3 updates I was offered, now I get the Other User icon instead of username and password boxes. I checked the updates and neither should have anything to do with the login screen. They were KB2529073, KB982018, KB2532531. Does anyone know of a way to put it back the way it should be? Spare me having to re-image again...
  2. I had to check that one... "yng Nghymru". Ok, so I cheat a bit. I've got a handy app called "Cysill" which corrects my Welsh.
  3. Here comes a pedantic Welshman... What I think you're trying to say is: "Diolch yn fawr, a Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus i bawb arall" Translation of what you actually said is: "Thank you very much and a Saint David's Day Happy every all" "Gŵyl" means festival or holiday, but in this case it doesn't translate. Yes, the thread title is slightly wrong. Adjective's in Welsh are usually tacked on to the end. I know, we're backwards And if that's not strange enough for you, sometimes words start with different letters depending on the word that came before it, something called mutation - myself and a lot of other Welsh have a problem with that one...
  4. Some ideas for a St David's Day Menu: Welsh cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Beverages section says beer is our national drink! Mmmm, laverbread
  5. I've been using my own homemade script to silently install both AAT and E-Volve for ages (in seperate rooms), but both install by default to %PROGRAMDATA%\secureasses for some unknown reason. Now that I've gone through the E-volve installer manually it's ok...
  6. Has anyone tried to get C&G's E-volve software running alongside AAT's? Both use similar software from the same company, but branded by each and running slightly different versions. Both MSI's install to the same location which is %PROGRAMDATA%\secureasses. I've tried using the "TARGETDIR" switch on the MSI without any luck. Short of creating a 2 partition system, I can't think of any other way to get them working. Any help or advice much appreciated.
  7. Just found this: http://soundation.com/
  8. 1. Yes you can. Pull one hair out at a time... 2. You can easily wash the cornea, though cleaning around the back might be a bit more painful... 3. I can't breathe underwater or in a vacuum when my tongue is out so I suppose it's partly true.
  9. Bombjack PC: Rollcage Stage 2 Diablo 2 Giants - Citizen Kabuto Vampire Masquerade
  10. We're with NT CADCAM too, but use server-based licensing which doesn't use a dongle. I'm not sure about the details as I'm not involved with purchasing the license, but we pay a lump sum for a "site" license. The license server supports "borrowing" for 3 months IIRC. We also have a student license key we can use (we had to check with NT CADCAM - weren't sure we had the option) so students can install it at home for 1 year.
  11. If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong (I rarely use Gparted, but it's helped me with a couple of things in the past), it's fairly similar to the way Windows' disk manager works, except nothing is done until you commit your choices. You'd be better off reading the "Resizing a Partition" section of the Gparted manual: GParted -- GParted Manual.
  12. I use Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) - www.hiren.info on both a USB drive (diagnostics, always in my pocket) and a portable HDD (Ghost imaging and file recovery). You can create a FAT32 partition at least 512Mb at the beginning of the drive for Hiren, and then use the rest for ghost images/file recovery/etc... You might be able to use a partition editor to resize your USB. If Windows' Disk Managment (diskmgmt.msc) doesn't work try GParted -- About (Also included in Hiren)
  13. Hi guys, I have a laptop used by learning support and they would like to use a Dolphin Pen (Supernova on a USB pen). It works fine for an administrator, but when a student account logs-in you hear the startup sound, but nothing else happens i.e. no systray icons and no Supernova Control Panel window. The exe's/services appear to be running though, but seem to be hogging the CPU. Log-in as an admin and they don't. One thing I did notice under the student account - the Synthesizer Access Manager doesn't appear to start, it's exe's are missing from the process list. Using "Run As" with admin credentials doesn't work either. It works if I create a local admin account, but ideally we would prefer not to use that solution if possible. Anyone else have problems with this software in a domain environment or know of a workaround? Thanks.
  14. You might want to try one of these: Welcome to the Home of Cyborg Gaming I know they're gaming mice, but they're very adjustable.
  15. Gerry

    Astra VXR

    I wouldn't recommend a Focus ST. A friend of a colleague is having difficulty finding a garage that will part ex it, and they're very thirsty - 20mpg I'm told. My old Focus RS Mk1 did 28mpg and was similar performance. I'd love a VXR8, but again way too thirsty (17mpg I've seen quoted). I now drive a Subaru which is 316HP, 4WD and does around 24mpg. Also, high horsepower FWD cars suffer from torque steer. The Focus RS Mk1 suffered from it a little, but not as much as the Astra VXR. The Honda Civic Type-R Mk2 would be a good car. Looks good, drives well, and I'm sure there is a large modding market for it these days. A colleague has one with an aftermarket exhaust and it sound awesome!
  16. I recommend Papercut too. Been using it for over a year now. Initial cost was high, but subsequent yearly support/upgrade charges are quite cheap and in the long run it's looking cheaper than PCounter. It's also web-based, easier to manage than Pcounter and very customizable.
  17. This is for my personal use. Looking for a monitor to replace my aging ViewSonic, and that will go nicely with my new nVidia 590 Also, would be nice if my XBox 360 could go through it too (HDMI connection preferred). 26" or higher (will consider 24") Low response time Uses - normal, gaming, XBox 360. Price - nothing too ridiculous. Would be a nice bonus if it supported 2560×1600 resolution. I have been doing some research, but I don't seem to be able to home-in on a monitor I like.
  18. Saw the article about the update on Lifehacker this morning, thought it might help with SkyDroid (golf distance app. that also uses Google Maps), but it doesn't
  19. British Pathe The way tennis was played in the old days.... you'd call it a friendly knockabout these days!
  20. Webman's code looks pretty much spot on. For reference here's a few useful sites: How to use Xcacls.exe to modify NTFS permissions or How to use Xcacls.vbs to modify NTFS permissions for Windows XP Icacls for Windows 7 Test for the existence of a file/folder in a batch file: MS-DOS if command help
  21. Anyone have any idea why a HP CLJ 5500 won't automatically select a tray? There are 2 trays, one with A4, the other with A3. The user has been walking over to press the green tick button until I showed them how to manually select a tray through the printer preferences/properties tabs. I've tried messing around with the settings but just can't find a way to auto-select at the moment.
  22. We have quite a few of these printers too, and AFAIK they're not supposed to that.
  23. Gerry

    Knives

    Bob Kramer makes some of the best... http://www.wimp.com/incredibleknives/
  24. Almost looks like a real airport that's been tilt shifted.
  25. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urpWouwano0 That's enough for now I think!
×
×
  • Create New...