Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Gerry

Members
  • Posts

    445
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gerry

  1. The 30-day upgrade period started Nov 2nd. If you installed the software before that date you will probably need to upgrade - the server software should tell you if you need to when you start it.
  2. The client software shouldn't just terminate if there's an update available. I updated our installation about a month ago: I downloaded the new server package which included the client update too, re-installed the server (on a PC in the same room as the clients), then once the server was working, I went round each client PC (logging-in as admin), running the client software and just clicking "Start" which made them update themselves.
  3. Perhaps you need to set it up with Promissor? We primarily use Promissor for City & Guilds tests (for the Agricultural, Engineering and Construction departments), and it's actually the invigilators/test managers that get the notification e-mails which they then forward to me.
  4. Ahem. Personally I think this is the best testing software I have seen (so far). I haven't seen Exambase so can't compare the two, but I have seen ECDL software in action and that was total pap! I've also experienced Edexcel testing system for Administration and that was a bloated piece of crapware too. You should be receiving notification e-mails 30 days in advance when there is an upgrade to Promissor available. For the last upgrade all I had to do was uninstall server software (currently using a PC in the computer room as the Promissor server, but we will probably move it to the file server eventually) and install the new version. Then I went round each client, logging in as admin and running the Promissor client software which picked up the update from the server PC and installed it. Job done. One reason the client software might terminate is that the 30 day grace period has probably ended.
  5. #5 was missed: Please phone us for help anytime, even while we're on holiday snowboarding. It's all right, we can balance and hold our mobiles while travelling down a large mountain doing 50mph and help you with your problem accessing your Hotmail account. It's not just women who can multitask you know, we IT geeks are born like that.
  6. Try IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/ Doesn't do batch printing, but it does do actual size.
  7. I had a similar problem with a new PC using an nVidia GFX card. My monitor had previously been receiving a VGA signal and just wouldn't display a HDMI signal no matter which cable/converter I used. Turned out that I needed to pull the plug on the monitor and let it discharge completely to get it to work.
  8. I had a similar problem with a new PC using an nVidia GFX card. My monitor had previously been receiving a VGA signal and just wouldn't display a HDMI signal no matter which cable/converter I used. Turned out that I needed to pull the plug on the monitor and let it discharge completely to get it to work.
  9. Try running the Process Monitor tool while installing: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx It should be able tell you what's going on behind the scenes, and perhaps help you find a solution.
  10. Try this link: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/17582/HP_LaserJet%202300.html
  11. You should be able to log visitor IP's using this line of PHP: $ip=@$REMOTE_ADDR; Or if "register_global" is set to Off in "php.ini": $ip=$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; Change the contact us page to show their IP and say that it will be logged with the message and that any abuse will be reported to the authorities ;-)
  12. Has anyone here used this? http://www.cs.princeton.edu/patchmaker/ I've been trying my damnedest to get it working on XP using XAMPP http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html, but am having real problems setting it up. If anyone has any experience with it, please say so and I will post further details of my problem. Thanks.
  13. I think your best bet is a camcorder with a Firewire connection and a copy of Adobe Elements (around £60 I think). I wouldn't recommend a DVD camcorder though - my experience has been with a 3 year-old Sony Handycam and it takes ages to start and prepare/finalise disks, and then it could only store 30mins at high quality.
  14. Gerry

    Second Life?

    I read an article in New Scientist recently about 2nd Life. It said that people with autism prefer to talk to others through their keyboards as the majority of them had problems deciphering facial expressions. Apparently some find speaking face to face quite confusing and scary. I think the article also said that one of the 2nd Life founders had autism.
  15. "Finding Nemo" DVD had some looping aquarium animations as bonus extras.
  16. If none of the above work, you might want to try updating the video drivers.
  17. On the http://www.solwise.co.uk/los.htm site there's an example for a 2.4GHz setup and it assumes a standard device is to be used and states 100mW and 20dBm. Perhaps you can figure out the cable and connector loss from here: http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-cable.htm
  18. Have a look at page 6: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/tech/interface_req/uk_interface_2007.pdf And try this site: http://www.wifinerd.com/wifi-calculators.html
  19. Try this link: http://www.solwise.co.uk/los.htm
  20. I've been doing a little research into connecting 2 buildings via Wi-Fi. It's illegal to use Band C of the 5GHz range without a licence from Ofcom, and using Band A and B for a different purpose than they've been assigned (i.e. Band A is for indoor use only, and Band B is for mobile networks). http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-5.htm http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/rlans/5.8_fwa_index/
  21. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good to know about different ways it can be done. Laser solution sounds interesting, but probably too expensive! Anyone have any experience with 5GHz wi-fi?
  22. Thanks everyone for advice. I'll definitely have a go with NetStumbler sometime though I don't think we'll have any problems with interference. Anyone have any advice on line-of-sight solutions? Such as which equipment to use? Distance will be roughly 200-400m between nodes.
  23. What would a survey involve? Are we talking about getting a consultant involved or is it something we could do ourselves?
  24. No chance of that happening at our site - it's in the middle of the countryside! We have some portacabins too, and would like to link them, possibly also acting as a node to the location on the end of the fax line.
  25. Hi all, We've got a location that is currently connected to the main network via a 64k fax line (!!!) using 2 Zyxel DSL modems. We'd like to improve the link, but laying down fibre is too costly so we've been thinking about line-of-sight wireless solutions. Has anyone here had any experience with this kind of situation? If so, what would you recommend/suggest?
×
×
  • Create New...