Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

MicrodigitUK

Members
  • Posts

    602
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MicrodigitUK

  1. What type of NAS box are you using? If it is a NAS built using XP you should be fine but if it’s one of these boxes with a web front end it might be a bit trickier! Most NAS support joining to the domain with Active Directory and once thats done you should be able to set the permissions on the files in the normal way.
  2. Is there absolutely no plan to make LANview available for download at all? Even if it is a pay for download?
  3. Hi Bruce, I have that exact setup on my Aruba 800 controller. What you need to do is setup another vlan on the controller with the built in DHCP server on the controller and then set up a trucked VLAN port between the controller and some sort of routing device. The routing device could be a cisco router to a good hp switch all it needs to support is 802.11q and static routing (you may whant ACL support for extra security between your networks but that’s up to you). PM me if you want some more info Nick (Sheldon School)
  4. There are only small bits of Aruba OS source that are available. I have thought about re-compiling an image for the NETGEAR access points from scratch using the tools and info from https://labs.arubanetworks.com/. But what the point if there is a boot image already out there that should work? (well at least with Aruba OS 2.5 if not 3) Obviously I might try compiling from source if the Netgear controller image doesn’t work. But will probably get bored by then and never finish the project by that point! I just need a little bit of help from someone with a WFS709TP wireless controller and then I can put my mind to rest knowing if it works or not!
  5. That’s exactly what I thought. Wouldn’t you get more frequency collisions on a signal chanal the more Clients that connect in a signal area? E.g. 30 laptops on a signal frequency (even with multiple AP’s the laptops would still share the same airspace) can’t possibly logon faster than 15 on one and 15 on another (which is basically what my Aruba system dose with its duel band access points). So how does it get around this problem in Extricom and Meru systems?:confused:
  6. What I did was manually added the static public ips for to the domain names manually into dns as there’s not that many on most domains. E.g. http://www.domainname .co.uk (public ip) mail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) imail.domainname.co.uk(public ip) and moodle.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) folders.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) intranet.domainname.co.uk (with internal ip) I think I had to put in another one for ISP mail server but you get the idea. I got the public static ip’s by using Convert Host Name to IP Address or Find IP address of a host - e.g. find IP address of host name of to convert them. Hope that helps
  7. Just giving this post a nudge, to see if there are any friendly Netgear WFS709TP wireless controller users online today?
  8. Yes I did try and go down that route but Netgear techs say that Aruba deal with that side of things with the firmware and then Aruba just say contact Netgear tech support. Its one of those silly tech support loops where no one wants to accept responsibility for cross platform support. That’s why I am trying to sort it out myself to see if it is possible.
  9. As Ric_ has mentioned the file is publicly available on Netgears site its just extracting it from the firmware that is the problem as you need a controller.
  10. Yes but you need to load the firmware to a Netgear controler to access the AP boot image file I need!
  11. That is true. But looking at some source code for Aruba APs boot Image its 95% GPL source code anyway. I’m not asking any one to post it publicly just PM me so I can work with someone to see if it is all possible. And naturally if it is possible to get them working on Aruba, I would purchase the appropriate controller so I would have a legal copy of the boot image!
  12. I’m begging now. Someone must have 5 minutes on their hands to tftp this file down from there Netgear and send me a copy?
  13. I made a new GPO called “No Students Logon” under the “MainSite” container(OU). In the “No Students Logon” GPO properties tick the box for “disable the User Configuration settings” for minor efficiency. Made a new security group “No Students Logon” in “Sheldon.internal” and ensured that the only group that can apply the “No Students Logon” GPO is “ProjectorsGroup”. Edited the “No Students Logon” policy go to "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Deny Logon Local", enable that setting and only add the existing "Students" group. And for each computer that students are NOT allowed to log onto, in active directory I went to the computers “properties” and to the “member of” tab adding “ProjectorsGroup” and that should ban all students from that computer.
  14. Well I have classes of 32 laptops running fine from 2 Aruba 65 access points (running off the Aruba 800 controller) and they are the equivalent to the NETGEAR WFS709TP and 2 duel band APs, it works like a dream! I also have a 6th form study centre with 50 laptops running from 3 Aruba 65s The only downfall that I can see with the Netgear system compared to the Aruba is that there is a limit to the number of access points because the Netgear system is only based around the older Aruba 800 controller technology which does have its limitations to the number of APS even when you reach the maximum number of controllers and does not and will not support 802.11n access points. Because I have got the Aruba version, I’m ok because I just put in a Aruba 3000 series controller and I am testing a signal 802.11n access points on a new set of 30 laptops and it looks to be working fine. If you have a small site the Netgear system should work fine when correctly setup, but for larger sits it’s not up for the job. This is why i went down the Aruba route. I just wish the two (so closely) related systems would work together then I could go for the cheaper Netgear Access points.
  15. I have it working on my site with an OU that stops any member of the Students group login on. I also do the same to individual workstations in other OUs. To do these apply GPOs by Security group membership of the workstation and then just make the teaching computer a member of that group (allowed to apply the GPO that stop student logon).
  16. I still haven’t had any replies to this post and I don’t want to beg but can some one with the controller pleas help me. Otherwise it is going to be a non-starter and I’ll have to sell the test Netgear access point on eBay. :-( I expect everyone is very busy but I really could do with getting hold of the Netgear AP boot image? If it helps below is a link to the tftp client I used and the command I used on my Aruba controller. For the Netgear I think you just need to dowbload the image from “netgear-master” if DNS is setup for the Netgear on your network, otherwise use the IP of the controller instead. TFTP Client Command to use with this TFTP client: C:\>tftp netgear-master GET minimips.ari c:\minimips.ari If someone could PM me the image I would be most grateful.
  17. I know its managed but have you looked at the price of the NETGEAR WFS709TP ProSafe Wireless system?
  18. On my basic servers i use backupassist (an easy to use) frount to windows backups. >> BackupAssist Backup Software - backup software for Windows servers, tape backup software, exchange server backup, sql server backup, internet Rsync backup, image backup On the main PDC and BDC where i might need to restore individual users files I use BackupExec.
  19. I am trying to get a NETGEAR's ProSafe™ Dual Band Light Wireless Access Point (WAGL102) working from an Aruba Networks controller. The problem I am facing at the moment is that the Access Point boot Image on the Aruba Networks controller is not compatible. The favour I am asking for is could you download the Access Point boot Image from your controller and send me a copy so I can try it out on my Aruba controller? The file is called “minimips.ari” and can be accessed by using a TFTP client connected to the WFS709TP controller “netgear-master” If I ever get NETGEAR access points working with an Aruba Networks controller I will post my results back to edugeek If you could help me and spare 5 minutes of your time that would be excellent.
  20. This thread doesn’t seam to be getting any where so I am going to start another one to get the attention of the Netgear WFS709TP users. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networks/30656-calling-all-netgear-wfs709tp-wireless-controller-users.html
  21. I know this is the Aruba version of the user guide but it is almost identical so the information you need for the Netgear should be in this document. 4shared.com - document sharing - download ArubaOS2_5_5UG.pdf Hope it helps!
  22. React Technologies - wireless networking, wireless lan switching, firewall, voip, vpn. for the Aruba managed wireless systems.
  23. The Restart Time Interval will always restart the job every interval of time but I only want it to restart only once it has failed! It is a very big backup job so I can’t have it running every hour or it would dreamily slow my network down.
  24. I can’t see how I can do this in “Alert Categories” config. Could you explain a bit more?
  25. Hi, we keep having the occasional power failure due to a problem that can’t be rectified until the end of term but it keeps bringing a switch down for short periods of time. That switch also links the NAS box where the backups are stored which now has stopped Backup Exec twice from performing a backup. My question is can I get Backup Exec 11d so it automatically retries a failed job after a set period of time in witch I hope the power will have been restored? Dose anyone now how I would go about setting this up if it is possible in Backup Exec 11d?
×
×
  • Create New...