Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

HarryMonkey

Members
  • Posts

    3,858
  • Joined

Everything posted by HarryMonkey

  1. @TimB ... Does this product install easily on an RM CC4 network?
  2. We never replaced our dryer when it broke down a few years ago and haven't really missed it. (We've used the space in the kitchen for a dishwasher which has proven to be far more useful, apparently, according to my wife).
  3. Rubbish! The running costs of a wife/girlfriend are a helluva lot more than £500. TCO is enormous!
  4. Thin end of the wedge ??? BBC News - The Pirate Bay must be blocked by UK ISPs, court rules
  5. Do other admin type users have the same problem? Have you tried a profile reset on the affected user?
  6. Does that £50 take into account your time to build a machine? If not then you're not getting a true picture of the cost.
  7. If you have an Intranet, put the pac file in the root and then on the phone set the http proxy to auto and the URL to http://intranet/proxy.pac
  8. I'd almost forgotten that we're heading up to that time of year again. Time to look at getting away for the weekend methinks.
  9. Yep, just wanted it for that one game. I wish I'd left it another day now. I rang sky last night to see if they would be able to keep it on for another 24 hours but they wanted another month's subscription, I said I'd sooner take the tenner down to the pub and watch it there.
  10. I have a V reg Mondeo 2.0l Ghia that I bought just under two years ago from ebay for £300. So far I've had to replace a couple of sections of exhaust and the brake discs for the MOT this time round. I get around 35mpg going to work and back, around 40 on a decent run (it's more economical if I use the cruise control). I had a Vauxhall Insignia diesel as a hire car last year while mine was having the results of someone else's carelessness fixed and I had no better fuel consumption out of that than I do from my Mondeo. Whilst it might not be the most glamorous of cars and it might be getting on a bit, it still gets me from a-b, costs me around £200 a year to insure and owes me nothing. When it eventually dies, I will look to get a similar bargain and hope that serves me as well as this one has.
  11. Nope, my Everton supporting other half is just as pissed off, even more so that our ESPN gets turned off today ... I had it for the CFCvLCFC match and then cancelled it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of online links though.
  12. It's confusing because the vacancy page states clearly that it's a 52 week a year job for a fixed length of one year.
  13. It seems that the Beeb will be offering 24 different streams for the duration of the olympics, each dedicated to a particular sport. Looks like Sky will be carrying all 24, so you can watch beach volleyball all day if you want. (For me, I think it will be the sailing and windsurfing) BBC News - BBC offers Olympics streams on TV
  14. Within our Intranet website on IIS, we have three folders, one is for the students, one is staffroom and one is netmanweb. Each with their own home page, each group ... staff, students, techs have a different homepage set by GPO. The students can only see pages within their own folder, the staff can see the staffroom folder (as well as students pages if they want) and we have our own homepage which only we can see. The permissions are set on the folders in IIS.
  15. Yep. Me too.
  16. I look forward to those evenings when my OH is at work, and apart from a quick catch up of Sky Sports News, the tv doesn't go on ... peace and quiet, I can actually hear the birds singing ... bliss.
  17. I enjoyed Strike Back Project Dawn and now that Sky Anytime Plus is open to all I might just have to re-run the series.
  18. Congrats to you both. Have you opened a Gmail account for her yet to post regular updates for her for when she's older? Actually, I know the ad is a bit twee but I wish I'd thought of it with my kids
  19. I had a similar problem in that I needed to get songs from an iPod when the laptop with the appropriate iTunes account was stolen. I used a copy of CopyTrans ... Transfer iPod to iTunes, copy iPod to PC and iPad to computer It's a paid for product but it all depends on how much the contents of the iPod is worth.
  20. At my last school we supported our local feeder schools as part of our technology college bid. Each of 8 schools got a half day per fortnight. Rarely did they need more than this, unless they'd just bought a heap of new kit that had to be unboxed and set up.
  21. Hi folks, we are currently going through the tendering process for a school wide wireless network installation. We need to have staff, student, guest and BYOD capabilities as well as providing connectivity for laptop trollies, hand held devices (iPod/iPad for electronic registration) and any other gadgets that haven't been invented yet. We have looked at various solutions offered by different companies and have whittled it down to three solutions, Meru Xirrus Cisco At this point I would welcome any comments people might have, positive and negative about any of these solutions. Talking to the vendors tells us that their solution is the best in the world and so I need to get some objective opinion from people on the coalface who are using these technologies. Do they perform well in your school? If you were starting over, would you choose them again? How easy is the system to administer/monitor/troubleshoot? What do you like/dislike? What would you change? What problems have you encountered? Also, any useful questions for when it comes to the interview stage would also be appreciated. (Any schools in the Milton Keynes area that are using any of these?) Many thanks Steve
  22. I went down there last year when they interviewed for the Network Manager post. It's a really nice school with a great atmosphere. Not quite sure how two people are going to fit into the IT Support office though!!
  23. Or just hit the mute button.
  24. As @TonyJF said, the school development plan is the place to start as any improvements will need to fit in/be driven by this. Without links to the SDP targets, it may be difficult to obtain funding to carry out your 'vision'.
×
×
  • Create New...