Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

LansITGuy

Members
  • Posts

    135
  • Joined

Everything posted by LansITGuy

  1. There was an unexpected shutdown on the servers on 28/1/19. DC1 shows two events in quick succession: Followed 4 seconds later by: The next message happens during an intended restart whilst I've been researching this issue. I'm not seeing an indication of a Jet error.
  2. Thanks Chris. Forgot to include that bit. Nothing unusual in the events for either server. The only time we have an error is during the restarting of the opposite server. As soon as both are back online the we get Event 5004 indicating that inbound connection is up on each server with it's partner.
  3. Morning all. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Two DCs (DC1 and DC2). Long standing AD servers. By chance I have noticed that netlogon replication is only working one way. If I add a file to \\DC1\Netlogon, it shows in DC2. If I add a file to \\DC2\Netlogon, that file does not show in DC1. Adding via the \\\Netlogon path shows the file in DC2 and not DC1. I've run a number of tests on DCDIAG and there seem to be no major issues. Yesterday, there were some DNS errors (RReg Failed), but following a restart, those issues are now cleared. After the restart, Netlogon changes were replicated correctly, but this morning, we are back to the same issue of files not going from DC1 to DC2. Logins are running fine and I can't spot anything else out of the ordinary. In today's DCDIAG, the only warnings we are are: If I am right, this is because we have no CA in the domain. This has always been the case and shouldn't be an issue (right?). Could anyone push me in the right direction here. Cheers!
  4. Cheers. That is what seems to happen to us. I've got my workstation in after about 10 attempts today. Seems fine once you get in, but if you close your browser for any reason, you're back to square one.
  5. Thanks Joanne. Story of my life That is what I'm expecting to find. Apparently they've had "a couple of service issues over recent weeks" which may still be affecting us. I get that. Stuff breaks, but their systems seems so inconsistent. Another school looking to jump here.
  6. Morning all. Is anyone still with MLS (Capita Reading Cloud / whatever) getting "You are not authorized to access this page" with their admin account(s) for Library Management in hosted Eclipse? We've been having this off and on for a few days. Not able to login at all Monday. Worked a bit yesterday, but all fails so far today. The best advice they give is clear the cache. Multiple OS / browsers? Inside and outside of network? Nope!!! Think I'm putting their number on speed dial.
  7. Well, timing might be everything on this. I was working on another unrelated printer issue which resulted in me looking in the Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs / Microsoft Windows / Print Service / Admin. Loads of errors matching up with the failed prints! How did I not know that log was there???? Everything reporting Event ID 372 with code: 2147500037 from the print processor. Bit of Googling and found reference to changing the print processor to RAW (FF Auto). So far so good. But I will know more when staff are using it. Adding here for reference if it helps anyone in the future. Will update if I find this hasn't worked when in full use. Cheers.
  8. Hi all. Not sure where to put this one so thought I'd try dropping it here. I have never seen this before, but we have a new HP Colour Laserjet M553 which is deciding to ignore print jobs. Hoping that someone might have an idea that I've not tried. Background: Printer connected to network. Share on our print server (2008 R2) with PaperCut. Share is a replacement of the old printer which worked without issue. There are 8 PCs in the room. All are identical hardware and imaged the same. Some computers send jobs and nothing comes out. Some computers work. Testing: Set the print driver on the server to both a generic HP PCL6 drive and the specific printer model driver. Test page from server always works. When a user print, PaperCut logs it even if the job does not print. Jobs always show up in print queue. Flash off after a second. Same seems to happen no matter if the job succeeds or not. I have tried a few print processors, and that seems to have no affect. I have enabled / disabled advanced features with the same results. All users have permissions to print. There is another mono HP printer in the room. This is connected to the clients using the same method with no issues. I have factory reset everything. No new firmware available. Drives are the most recent version. If I had hair, I'd have pulled that out too! Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any ideas. I though I'd seen everything a printer could (or couldn't do) before, but this is new! Thanks in advance.
  9. Though I'd give it a shot. Tried a few providers before (CBT and Pluralsight / Trainsignal mostly). Those other were way too expensive in the long term as I didn't get as much time to dedicate as I wanted. Only had a few hours on it so far, but here is what I've found with the 2016 stuff and the website as a whole: - Login is not SSL on the main training site. Bit odd I thought, but with paying through Groupon, no payment details in the account which is something. Stilll not great design and design is something that is missing as a whole really. - Content is OK on the video. Streams well and is quite clear. - The tutor is a good but does seem to get a bit lost in his points some times. But this isn't uncommon on these systems. - Overall, based on what I've seen, things are quite detailed. Usual issue that you'll never cover all the exam content in a video series, but for the price of a decent book, this package seems worth adding it to your study material. - The materials that come with the course are basic. Just copies of slides. I've not found any labs etc yet. Just end of section / course quizzes. - It can be a bit of a pain to find the content you want. There is no direct link from your main page back to where you were up to. Let me know if anyone has any questions and I can try to look into things further.
  10. In my opinion, going with the VoIP gateway option seems like the best way of doing this. Gives us the solution we need now, but also allows for expansion in the future. I believe they only want two extensions in the new build, but I think we've filled all our available extensions on the current system. Thanks everyone. I'm going to have a chat with our facilities manager. There's a chance he has had an update, but at least we have other ideas to discuss now to move things forward.
  11. The direct cable would seem simple enough, but the switchboard and the new building are about as far apart as you can get with no direct line of access. We've been struggling with getting enough extensions as it is. I'm going to approach my manager again to push the engineers.
  12. Its potentially a plan and makes sense. The issue I have here is that I know virtually nothing about the phone system. It is maintained by the company who are supposed to be providing the solution. It's worrying that they are ducking out on providing updates. TBH, I'm only getting bothered by it because staff are calling my personal mobile. Management don't seem to be that bothered about the lack of connection, even though they called in the quote for the work. If anyone gets back to me from either SLT or the provider, I'll see what I can dig up about that option.
  13. Morning all. This one is what I can only call a massive long shot! We have had a request in with our phone system provider for a few months. They had a solution, but now no one is getting back to us so I'm just trying to figure out if we have any options. I was wondering if anyone has seen / done this in the past. Background: Main building has an older phone system in place. I believe this is some kind of Samsung system. Most importantly, this is not VoIP. A new building has been added on to the grounds. No one thought to connect this back to the phone system (great!). I was brought in to talk to our phone support guys. They said there was an easy solution. Use the networking (existing fibre link) to connect a comms cab in the main building with a converter to use the IP system to send the calls over to the new build. Obviously, there would be some kit in the comms cabinet in that building to attach to some cordless phones (I'm assuming DECT). The engineer just mentioned a DAC (I'm assuming "Digital / Analog Converter). This was all good, but just before the install was supposed to happen, the appointment got cancelled as they were having problems with the DACs. They were going to return them to the supplier and get a new solution. That has been about four months ago. They're not updating me or my line manager. Has anyone linked two buildings like this before? If so, could you offer any details on how you've done it (what hardware etc)? This isn't really my job to sort, but I want to have something I can use to get this pushed through. Thanks in advance everyone!
  14. Just tried calling as our system is painfully slow. Get through all the menus and then get a message that the call can not be taken. Does anyone have a direct contact number for someone there? Even sales line has the same failure message. Thanks.
  15. Cheers Steve. Good thinking! Looking into this now.
  16. Afternoon all. I am sure I'm not the first one to hit this issue, but I'm struggling to find a solution to get passed it and so was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Our environment is mainly Windows 7 - 32bit - running Office 2010. I am now trying to rollout a new standard setup of Windows 10 - 64bit - with Office 2016. Quite surprisingly I am having some success with SysPrep and MDT, normally we don't get on. But, I can't think of a good way to setup our desktops. We currently do desktop redirection based on the user's group. That's all good as the icons show when we login to the new image. The only issue is that obviously the current icons point to Office 2010. How can I setup icons that connect to whatever version of each Office application is installed on the PC? I though connecting to "winword" for example would work, but it doesn't let me create the icon. I really doubt we'll be able to update all our PCs over the summer and so I don't want to have two copies of each icon on the desktop to cover both 2010 and 2016 as this will just cause confusion in the interim. I suspect we might have similar issues with Program Files (x86) applications too. I'm sure there is a workaround, but I think taking time off has done me no favours and I can't get back up to speed. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Cheers.
  17. Sorry for the delay, I've only just seen the notification. Sadly this error never did get sorted. I wound up just removing some parts of the backup. This was a file server so I only needed the actual data of some of the drives and not really the Windows partition. That being said, I haven't tried it since the update to the latest versions. I will have some time in the next week or two when school is closed so I might give it a shot for completeness. Which version of Backup Exec are you running?
  18. Do I take it we're still all having issues this morning? Some content is getting through, but we're still getting blocked due to network equipment problems on a lot of requests. What's interesting is that Chrome seems to have a higher success rate on the same websites than Internet Explorer. The BTLS statement has been taken off the portal and there's nothing new on the JISC twitter feed.
  19. Right. I'm a moron! The simplest solution is normally the right one. I'm guessing your on the BTLS filtering too? It looks like the rules have been changed on Lightspeed. Dropbox is now listed at Computer Storage which is a blocked category. Either release the rule or add dropbox.com to the allowed URL patterns. Thanks to another thread on this forum, it looks like HTTPS websites don't result in a Lightspeed block message but rather a more generic error (Source). Making those changes has got us back on line. I had seen this before with how we block some other sites, but I didn't spot it until now.
  20. Interestingly I've been seeing the same things for us. At first I thought it might be our County filtering or our own firewall. I've done some Wireshark digging (I'm no expert on this) and I can see the initial communication. But the connection gets dropped (RST, ACK) by a Dropbox IP. Weirdly there seems to be no log of this reaching our County filter which it has to go through to even reach Dropbox. For reference I think the Chrome error is more accurate. From what I've read, IE is more of a "best guess" when it comes to that message. Doubt this is of much help, but at least we know there may be others with the same issue. I've got a few changes to try on my firewall for reference to test if its involved at all, but I can't apply them until the end of the day.
  21. Also a bit of a warning. It seems to have also broken PowerPoint for us too.
  22. Thanks for the idea. I had thought of that, but you know what some pupils can be like. Given how long it can take for the message to get over to me I would have hoped that any short term locking of PowerPoint would have cleared. As an update, we seem to have a weird rule on our filter (Lightspeed) to do with SSL and Google. This caused issues with some apps not updating in Android. Since changing that rule for testing I haven't had any complaints about PowerPoint and inserting images. I'm wondering if the two are related, but I won't know until I am sure that a full lesson of using PowerPoint in this way has taken place. Its a bit of a long shot, but you never know.
  23. Hi all. I'm posting this here as a bit of a last resort. We have an occasional issue which just keeps popping up that I can't track down. Sometimes when a pupil attempts to copy and paste an image from Google Images / Bing Images into a PowerPoint slide, PowerPoint 2010 just locks up. The only way out of it is to task manager and close PowerPoint. This seems to affect random users on random computers. Some notes: All computers are of the same base image and updates managed by WSUS All pupils are on the same GPOs and have the same mandatory profile I have used multiple pupil accounts on multiple PCs and I can't replicate the error So far I've tried: Re-installing base image Repairing and reinstalling Office 2010 Tested different types of images to see if one file type is causing the issue (JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc) Checked NTFS permissions on the MS Office folders and I've had issues in the past with that. The fact that I can't replicate it is annoying. When I check the event logs, there is no information connected to the issue, not even a faulting application entry. I'm totally out of ideas and this is starting to lead to issues with the ICT department. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  24. Thanks guys. This was both a learning experience, but also one of those "I've got to fix X without spending Y". I'm giving PFSense a shot and it looks like it will do the trick. I will get back on to the playing around with Squid directly at some point when there is more time. Hopefully this set up will get past a few things I've been trying to improve.
  25. Thanks Geoff. Good timing. I'd just found something similar on another web article. It looks like the names are correct, but I don't think the configure script is set to look in the correct folder to find the ACL files. I've just found some instructions on downloading sources with "apt-get source squid" which gives me a slightly older version. I seem to be getting further with this which I assume means it has been modified for Ubuntu's own slight file structure differences (I'm guessing based on what I've seen so far).
×
×
  • Create New...