Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

LansITGuy

Members
  • Posts

    135
  • Joined

Everything posted by LansITGuy

  1. Hi everyone. Not sure if this is the right place or not for this. I'm making an attempt at learning how to use Linux. I've not had the best history in the past with this, but I was starting to get somewhere, until now. I am trying to setup Squid 3.5.3 as an internal proxy to filter our staff and students differently. I have got Squid working, but then discovered that I need to compile it to add support to LDAP to connect to our Windows domain servers (squid_ldap_auth and squid_ldap_group). So far that all makes sense. I am able to download the TAR file and un-compress it. I run the ./configure command with the following: ./configure --enable-external-acl-helpers="ip_user,ldap_group" However, when this goes through I get the following: configure: error: external acl helper ip_user ... not found I think this is to do with a dependency or missing library. I've followed a number of tutorials. All mentioned the ip_user section but no where can I find a way of tracking a dependency when compiling from source. Are there any techniques to do this or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any advice. I've been stuck on this for way too long. Cheers!
  2. Chris, you Sir, are a genius! I remember seeing the LCC DNS servers in there, but hadn't spotted the link back to the Smootwall Express IP. Good spot and thank you so much for your help! This is an interesting learning curve. Cheers!
  3. Thanks Chris. This is what I was thinking earlier in the week. I have the DNS servers configured on the external network adapter of the VM and DNS to / from the firewall has access to the net. I'm trying to find if there is a specific setting in the Shorewall documentation that I'm missing but so far I'm having no luck (that isn't to say it isn't there somewhere). Cheers.
  4. Hi all. Bit of a last resort on this one. I've been banging my head against the desk for a few days and I just can't wrap my head around why this doesn't work. As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm not used to setting up firewalls and Linux, so this is probably user error somewhere. Setup: All machines mentioned below are VMs and switching is HP Procurve. Filtering is provided by BT Lancashire's remote Lightspeed system. Both VMs reside on the same physical host and access the same physical VMware network links. Original Gateway Setup. This was installed by a contractor a few years ago. Smoothwall Express sits on a VM. DHCP sets client gateway to core switch. Core switch gateway set to Smoothwall Express internal IP. Smoothwall Express external IP links to Lightspeed - all works fine. New Gateway Setup Ubuntu Server running Shorewall in a VM. DHCP sets client gateway to core switch. Core switch gateway set to new Ubuntu VM internal IP. Ubuntu VM external links to Lightspeed Now the new system works fine. I can see a change of external IP in the Lightspeed logs as each VM external adapter has a different IP. However, as soon as I turn off the Smoothwall VM the Internet grinds to a halt. Pages do load but they take about 10 seconds longer. With the new setup in place I can traceroute and see that we are not going via the Smoothwall link even when it is powered off. So why if we're not going through the Smoothwall VM does it have to be on? Not sure if anyone could help here, but any ideas are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
  5. Just so you guys know, if you haven't heard already, some work has been taking place today to fix the delivery issues. We were scheduled to have our transfer tonight but it has now been cancelled as BTLS are making some pointer changes to get emails through and stop the bouncing.
  6. My understanding was that the user lists were sent off to whoever is actually doing the transfer some time ago. If you've added a user to the system since then they won't be automatically transferred. I believe you can either request a manual transfer once the bulk of the work has been done, or you can download email in the account via a PST (I assume in Outlook) and upload that to Office 365 once you've manually created the account there. This is the basis of what I was told by a support tech at BTLS. I've not tried this myself yet but will be giving it a go later in the week once our main move is done. Hope that makes sense!
  7. Ah thanks. That would explain the call I've just had from our Head that I need to look into.
  8. Thanks. I've got to admit, that is a bit of a surprise! Anything to make this a bit easier is a major positive as I don't think some of our staff are going to take this changeover well.
  9. Morning all. Does anyone know if the distribution lists from the current Exchange server's Address Book tool copy over automatically? We've got our change over starting tomorrow, and we use the current shared distribution lists a lot. I could do without working on those today, but if it has to be done I need to get a move on for the switchover. Cheers.
  10. I totally forgot about that bit. We had to get ours added as it wasn't there originally. Strangely even when I first login the link to Address Book doesn't show, I have to click into another tab first before the display updates. Just another LancsNGfL quirk.
  11. I don't think you can get Outlook to pull much from LancsNGfL. We use manually maintained lists under address books in the server so that staff can email [email protected]. I set these up so that only other addresses in the domain can do it. We moved over to this because we couldn't transfer lists from physical Outlook clients to each other. These address lists do show up when your logged into Outlook Web Access. We don't provide pupil accounts from this system. Hope that helps.
  12. If it will help anyone, it turns out my school is on the pilot list (not that I was told about this until I got an email from My Big Campus!). I haven't got my account through yet, but once I do I can pass on any info.
  13. LansITGuy

    AQA.org.uk

    Right, I'm not sure how big of an issue this is, but after working through our Show My Homework problems I have notice that if you have the Global Blocked - Not Locked rule on (which currently only blocks Google Translate) we bypass some of the issues. This didn't relate to the AQA fault, but worth noting. I've only been able to quickly test this as I need to just check with our SLT if I can take out that rule (we've had issues in the past). But this could be a reason why not all LCC schools on Lightspeed have similar issues if they have already switched off that rule.
  14. LansITGuy

    AQA.org.uk

    Thanks @ellsandell and @clareq. We had issues with IE and Chrome for the last few days. That being said, it looks like we are back up and running today. I had a voicemail from someone at BTSL yesterday which I need to chase up this morning to see if any changes have actually been made. Since the move to Lightspeed we keep getting really random response from websites. The odd domain won't load, Show My Homework loads scripts very slowly (I've got lots of info from them to look over). Whilst our general Internet speed has gone up from the old proxies, the issues we get now are far more complex and annoying.
  15. LansITGuy

    AQA.org.uk

    Cheers @Mark182 Looks like something happening as the main site loads now, but lots of subsections are failing. I'll give BTLS a call and a nudge as I've just tried from my home PC and I don't seem to have the same type of issues.
  16. LansITGuy

    AQA.org.uk

    Morning all. Would someone from a CLEO school in Lancashire who uses OCL for its internet connection (or whatever they're called now) be kind enough to see if you can get to the aqa.org.uk website? For some reason we seem to just get nothing back when we try accessing the domain. This only seemed to start yesterday and so far its the only domain I can find an issue with. On the plus side, this isn't an important website at this time of year...... oh wait! Thanks in advance.
  17. Well, my first out of school CPD / Inset / whatever in nearly 5 years has been approved. They're actually letting me out on day release, this is new! Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 26th!
  18. If there is a reason you still only want to filter IE traffic you could enable the following with a group policy: User Configuration > Policies > Administration Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Do not allow users to enable or disable add-ons Seems to work for us.
  19. I was right. it is CC Communications using Lancashire County Council's name to get past our switchboard staff. Just had a follow up email. Just noted here in case anyone wants to avoid unwanted calls.
  20. Hi All. Not sure if you will have see a letter from LCC regarding preferred suppliers. Well it looks like this is now leading to sales calls. Had a call from a guy at "Lancashire County Council" to follow up on the letter asking me to send them previous quotes or any current projects to them so they can show how they provide best value. This was after questions seeing if we use OneConnect / Westfield / etc for hardware. Now I don't really mind sales calls, but I really think that this wasn't quite who they stated they were which annoys me. I could be wrong, but it might be something to keep an ear out for. Cheers.
  21. Just had an update from Symantec support on this. They have asked that I remove the file server from the network and re-add it. After checking, it seems they want me to drop it off the domain and do a re-join. Given that this is a file server with home drives and associated NTFS permissions on it, is this going to cause any problems?
  22. Hi everyone. This is a really big long shot. I am in contact with Symantec support regarding an odd issue which has suddenly started with one of our backup jobs. I was wondering if anyone might have seen this before or have any ideas what on earth is going on. We use Backup Exec 2012 with SP4. There are 11 total jobs in our system. Each runs a full weekly backup followed by daily incremental. All servers are virtual, but we are backing up the contents of the virtual servers and not the virtual hard disk files. All jobs work correctly except one which when running causes the BEngine.exe to memory leak and so drag the media server to a standstill. Data transfer rates drop but the job will eventually end. This only happens for this one server on incremental runs, the full backup works fine. What makes things even stranger is that the problem server is our staff file server. In terms of setup it is exactly the same as the pupil file server (same Windows Updates and general settings etc). Symantec support seem to acknowledge the memory leak issue in many articles but their advice so far has been to restart the remote agent service on the affected file server before and after the job run. But, there is no memory issue on the file server itself. Whilst the run is taking place, the file server does not seem to change. The server was not doing this last week. We have run the same backup procedure for over a year without any issues. Nothing was changed within our setups last week. Like I said, this is a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? Thanks for your time.
  23. Thanks JezR. Blast! I thought it was on a different domain. Edit: Ah it still works. That's handy.
  24. Does anyone have a link to email management console that is normally on the LancsNGFL homepage? I seem to have misplace my favourite. Cheers.
  25. Why didn't I realise that yesterday? Found the same solution to get around the compatibility issue but I never thought that it had only started since the new filter went in place. As a slight aside, has anyone else had issues with Prezi? I have had issues getting embedded videos to show. They work fine on the old filter, but as soon we switch over the video won't load. Also, Google Images has been a little "crash happy" of late. I'm guessing this is a script issue of some kind but it is sending our ICT teachers nuts! I'm hoping that the change compaibility mode has stopped this as I haven't had any more reports but only time will tell.
×
×
  • Create New...