Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICT_GUY

Members
  • Posts

    2,543
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ICT_GUY

  1. Yes you do, it gets old very quickly.
  2. ICT_GUY

    Ghost Boot CD

    Grab an image of the boot disk using rawwritewin (google it) Then use Nero to create a bootcd and point it at the file rawwrite created. (When browsing for it make sure you choose all file types) Its that simple. It can also be used to make images for the HP boot usb drive utility.
  3. I like the new sony erricson phone, the camera is second to none and at 5mega pixel should take pretty good pics. I use my phone for > Talking > taking pics > sending pics > web > games in that order.
  4. DVI from laptop to camera is possible. BUT Manufactures pay an added tax if they include this facility. So most cheap cameras might not allow you to record back.
  5. http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4c942d7d15.jpg
  6. http://lantricks.com/lanshutdown/ this is fun, also allows forced shoutdown also shutdown /force will terminate any programs and for the computer to turn off. ' SHUT DOWN AND RESTART IN VB6 Const EWX_LogOff As Long = 0 Const EWX_SHUTDOWN = 1 Const EWX_REBOOT = 2 Const EWX_FORCE = 4 Private Declare Function ExitWindows _ Lib "User32" Alias "ExitWindowsEx" _ (ByVal dwOptions As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long Private Sub Command1_Click() 'Shut down windows ExitWindows EWX_SHUTDOWN, &HFFFFFFFF End Sub Private Sub Command2_Click() ExitWindows EWX_REBOOT, &HFFFFFFFF End Sub force does what it says and will make sure the computer goes off.
  7. I have proof going back since I signed up, showing that they throttle the speed in the evenings. Also they can get away with a slower speed if the line is not capable of higher speeds, but if they fail to provide the service they are paid for to save money, then they are in breah of contract. They will not contest in small claims court.
  8. Thanks, our local area guru said the same. We have scsii disks (mirrored for the shame) probably 10k on a zeon 2.8 (512k cache!) Raid 5 and 15k discs for the new server then.
  9. Just a quick one, and I am pretty sure this is a yes. Our soon to be replaced server is very slow when 30 kids hit a picture folder with loads of photos. This is while the kids are looking at thumbnails. Current server has only got 1gig of ram Would more memory help with caching when viewing pics from a client as thumbnails, and how much memory should I get for the new server? (new server will be quad core, I am thinking 4 - 8 gigs of ram) Thoughts?
  10. Tiscali is one of the worst. Tecnical support will lie to you non stop about why you are paying for an 8meg service that tops out at 512kb in the evenings when you are 800m away from the exchange, your attenuation and snr are well within top limits for adsl max, your router is connected at 7612kbs and that you can download at 7000kbs in the morning. (http traffic, not p2p) I have been called all sorts of things because I know what I am talking about. I have been told that my line does not support more than 2000kbs (which was funny when I tested the line when he was on the phone after 10pm and got 4000bps). I am planning on taking them to court some time soon, to cancel the contract and claim back all of the money paid to them. Then to go back to BT. I have also made two complaints to ofcom. /rant
  11. ICT_GUY

    Projectors

    We have a benq one in our ICT suite, it would give headaches if used for more than a lesson. Its a DLP. Main reason of the Sanyo is 3 year warranty and or a free bulb. Pus they might fiyt the mounts! (and free digi photo frame!!!11).
  12. ICT_GUY

    Projectors

    Ok quick advice. This one http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4Y7X&CategorySelectedId=11110&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11110 or this one http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Sanyo_PLC-XE32.html or another type. One from dabs has free replacement bulb and a digital photo frame that will look nice on my pc, Teacher may go blind, but hey free picture frame! First one is also £100 cheaper, no idea if either will fit mounts.
  13. Oh yes, the iphone will it blend was a fav. Along with the Chuck Norris one. There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
  14. No luck with the reset button.
  15. I thought there might be, so now I will be standing on a desk sticking a paper clip in a mains powered projector, what could go wrong? Expect to read about me on fark.
  16. Its a promethean supplied projector. Unfortunately the warranty is up, to renew the warranty is exactly £100 more than a replacement projector. As you say Mr M, The manual is no help and I had the same result with the googling.
  17. Cant get as far as the reset, it never lights up. Filters were cleaned this week. Manual says contact support contractor.
  18. I have a problem with one of these. I have put in two different bulbs, one brand new. The unit switches on then turns itself off after 5 seconds with the red warning light lit (along with the replace bulb light). It is a dead projector?
  19. Licensing is our biggest head ache. I just got stung by correl. Not so much not reading the small print as not reading the title. I have just bought the Graphics suite bundle, that I saw at Bett. £297 +£60 for media (3 x cds which cost oh around 60p or I could download the software, oh sorry not for the edu licence!) Only to find out I had signed up to an annual licence. So if we want to keep using the software its going to cost us £350 a year, gack!
  20. That took me too long to get, but I laughed all the harder for it. More shooters here that I expected. I also have an explosives licence, that fact may be put on my CV's >
  21. My hobbies are a mixture of uber geek and not so geeky. Sea Fishing, Shooting, Remote control Planes and Helis (with youtube vids), computer games, Dog walking and training, kids. Mainly the planes and learning to avoid the ground with helicopters at the moment. Though the guns come a close second. So what do you guys do to let off steam, and yes certain IT equipment has made a brief last appearance at the business end of a .45 BP pistol before you ask.
  22. Ex prison officer. Visited 6 American prisons, from low security to supermax. I avoid programs like this like the plague, else I chunter all the way through about how this wouldnt work / be done that way / get generally anoyed at the lack of any realism.
  23. Nice advert for a hosting company
  24. Its what I use. Multiple backups though. Advantage, when you need to restore a file it can be done in <30seconds.
  25. Go at it from a different angle. Have a policy where the admin password changes on a daily basis for "security" or change it to a 16 digit hexidecimal number. Have a personal admin account that you use for yourself "so you can track what you do" (which is human friendly). You will find that most people will give in pretty damn quickly, tough password security policies knock the wind out of lusers sails very very quickly. (I used to use this tatic when I had idiot kids come in who had difficulty answering the question what password do you want? When they had to type in a 32 character password correctly, they pretty much always had an answer next time.)
×
×
  • Create New...