-
Posts
2,543 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICT_GUY
-
Need to get a video file to play on a dvd player. The software we have does not work, its a pinnacle studio 8, and its trying to write the image across the network to my documents folder. And you would think there would be an option to change the location of where the files are kept. But no. So it just sits there and hangs. arghhh, so any free software that you use to create the dvd image / burn the dvd would be a lot of help. (Tick has developed into gentle rocking.)
-
Sorry not a network version but ,Primo PDF http://www.primopdf.com/ I have it installed on each PC, it sits there as another printer and it works flawlessly. Really, its one of the best bits of free software I have ever found.
-
One of our teachers has a laptop, that is having connection issues. The Laptop connects. The signal is excellent. It can browse the entire network, including our second domain controller and see all shares. It can see the main server, but none of its shares. This alone would be an easy issue to fix, but for the fact that after some prodding (usually over 10 minutes) including repairing the connection ect for no reason it starts to see the shares. None of this happens at the same time or after the same set of events. It only affects this one laptop. I have been through the obvious of, new drivers, rejoining it to the network ect, but its got me and I am starting to develop a tick every time I hear this teacher mention his laptop. Ideas?
-
Set up a time server on the network. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 And set the correct server for your client PCs in your AD.
-
You tube is blocked for our teachers. If they want to use a video from you tube, they bring me the URl and I doenload the video for them.
-
We need sin bins. In my experience the same minority of pupils, typically 5 - 10 hard core idiots per year group cause 99% of the problems. Remove them to a "training" school. Get rid of the trouble makers and the rest of the kids stand a much better chance of learning. This still happens in Germany, and it is quite effective. The alternative is to have discipline in the schools, and to have discipline you must have sanctions that the kids do not like. Even stupid things like if a kid causes trouble whilst standing outside the heads office, I bring them in and get them to stare at a blank monitor. If I had my way, detention would take place whilst listening to classical music. Double whammy of culture and the calming effects of the music. Though in all honesty the best punishment is always the one that is feared above all others that is shown but only used occasionally. I was shown the cane a few times while at school, not hit with it but made aware that it was there and that it could still be used.
-
I liked this a lot, I might be making it part of my next IT training presentation.
-
I always add the teachers group to the local admins for the laptop. Since its their laptop and I want them to use their school login credentials.
-
Staff still come to me, and I type the fault into the helpdesk for them in front of them.
-
http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/xp_password_changer.zip raw write and the linux boot disc for xp pwd changing, works a charm, even on servers.
-
I would have to swap the 3 minute commute and 3 day working week, and 10 weeks holiday for a 2 hour commute (per day) and never seeing my family and 4 weeks leave. Still its lots of dosh.
-
Windows update rebooting computers with no warning...
ICT_GUY replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows
I love it when it does this, I simply smile and give them my best look and say the imortal words> Well you did save your work regularly didn't you -
I wil be doing this soon so thanks from me.
-
Its too true.
-
They login when on the network then use offline files to re-sync. Ahhhaa, you have just awoken a dim and distant memory. Is this all I need to do. Laptop GPO computer settings > Admin templates > Network > Offline files > files not cached? Will this Stop files on the laptop being placed on the server? Or just thoses on the server not being cached onto the laptop?
-
bump? Any help appreciated.
-
I need to restrict what folders get copied from the laptops to the server, Itunes for one and also my pics and while I am at it the entire my music folder. There is a way to do this, but I am having trouble. What with the server being down to 200mb this morning (teachers with gigs of music donot help). Cant wait to get my hands on the new server in the summer term. Going to make sure we have 500 gigs of raid 5 15k drives.
-
I have a faster prog. http://www.octanesoft.com/photo_recovery.html Still 120gigs is a lot of data, but it shouldnt take that long.
-
I have noticed this too.
-
Nero makes boot cds from disks anyhow by default. I use the rawwritewin util for ease of storing multiple disks on the server.
-
Hijack this said? http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
-
I upgraded our suite computers from celeron 600s to 2.6ghz and 512mb ram for approx £130 each. (new case, mobo, ram, cpu, hd) I have time but little money, so I built them myself.
-
You has teh virus / trojan /spywarz? Serriously, there is malware that will stop you installing anti virus software. Use Hijackthis, send its output file here or go through it yourself and see if there are signs of malware.
-
Sale of goods act, Yes you have a good case for some compensation here. Simply put, the goods must be free from defects for a reasonable period. In effect, an expensive item such as a PC should be free from defects for a reasonable period of time, 5 years or so could be given as a reasonable period. If an item fails, out of warranty but within a reasonable period you can claim back a portion of the cost of replacement or repair. Bad design good info > http://www.monikie.org.uk/yourrights.htm
-
It looks to me that you have a non techie with a new toy. Also sounds as though he has no idea of how the internet works, how modern websites work or even a basic idea of how to interprete the information. Best go to your union, also maybe fire a shot across his / her bow about bullying as this certainly counts as causing unfounded stress. I spend a good proportion of my time on the internet, during downtime or whilst waiting for things to complete, doing research, keeping my knowledge up to date. I have browsers open all day, google mail for one. However I do not browse sites unrelated to work, except during lunch.
