Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. We tried FSRM for some exam logins as a test and it ended up breaking the entire folder redirection policies!
  2. We have a couple of PowerEdge R810 servers for VMWare and they have 32 RAM sockets each, unfortunately they were built with 32 x 2GB sticks! Got about £1k to upgrade them this year, if I buy 4 of the below for each server will it be compatible if I leave the remaining 28 sticks of 2GB in each server? 16GB DDR3 PC3-14900 Registered ECC 1.5V 2048Meg x 72 upgrades for PowerEdge R910 (Xeon E7-xxxx Series) Server, CT5826000 from Crucial.com Or is it cheaper to buy 32 x 4GB?
  3. Blast - you found my hidden biscuit stash!
  4. Thanks for that...would never have thought of trying that! (Although I did try 'Convert to PDF' but Word moaned it was corrupt)
  5. Is anyone able to recover the contents of the attached file? I've tried all my usual methods with no luck!Health & Safety - The Great Victoria Hotel.docx
  6. Thanks for all your responses. Sure I can get it by the powers that be when the mention of 'reduced running costs in the IT department' is mentioned! I'll probably give it a whirl on a small cluster of test PCs and see how I get on, it goes hand in hand with sorting WSUS / software updates out too which haven't been working all year due to various issues (Mainly : a lack of time!!!)
  7. Does anyone here use the built in Endpoint Protection feature of SCCM 2012 R2 as an AV solution? We currently use Sophos but a)it's a complete PITA to manage and b)we want to save money we were looking at using an alternative and SCCM came to mind as I'm really looking at implementing it properly over the summer and then it would be one more SCCM managed thing rather than something separate.
  8. Does anyone know how to get the Daily Mail website to just show as it would on a PC and stop nagging me NEWS ONLY SHOWBIZ ONLY WHOLE HOMEPAGE every single visit?! I don't want to use a stupid app, I have a 6+ therefore your website fits fine on my screen and is a lot easier to glance at!
  9. No I never fixed it, mainly because she hasn't complained about anything as such so I left her be for my own sanity I'll just whack on Windows 10 when that comes out at the end of July! Thanks for all your help
  10. We have several virtual servers with two LAN cards : Internal LAN (example) IP 10.201.98.1 Subnet 255.255.0.0 Gateway 10.201.98.254 (firewall) DNS1 10.201.98.51 (ad controller 1) DNS2 10.201.98.52 (ad controller 2) DMZ LAN (example) IP 192.168.255.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway : 192.168.255.254 DNS1 10.201.98.51 (ad controller 1) DNS2 10.201.98.52 (ad controller 2) On the firewall for each of these servers there is a 'HTTP_IN_TO_(SERVERNAME)' policy with allowed parties 'Any-Trusted, Any-External, VLAN30 (I would presume this VLAN entry is so anyone using the wireless here can connect through). This policy contains a static NAT, i.e. 111.111.11.1 > 192.168.255.1 to map our external DNS entry to the server. The only allowed port in this policy is HTTP (port 80). Is this secure from attack to our entire LAN from an outsider? As far as I always understood DMZ any servers in this zone shouldn't really have any LAN access at all but I'm not sure if the port limiting to just HTTP traffic prevents against this anyway?
  11. We have a set of three Panasonic cordless phones in the office (KX-TG6613) and need to add a couple more Can we just buy a bonus set of three (£39.99 from Fleabay) and use two from the new pack in our existing set then donate the extra one with the 'main' base unit to the boss so he can have that one for his own line?
  12. We have SQL Reporting Services set up for our Capita UNIT-e system (Basically SIMS, but for FE!) on our internal 'application server' Anyway all works well apart from we've recently opened up some of the UNIT-e web systems to external / home access via a separate server with a 'DMZ' network Is there a way in IIS or otherwise to configure Reporting Services so it can bind to an additional DMZ network adapter?
  13. Our Reprographics guy has a family member that works in the Monster Munch factory and therefore he gets loads of just going out of date packets...needless to say I try to resist the temptation to visit Reprographics!
  14. I've been working on my application for this but was unable to complete it over the weekend as I had to attend to a family matter so had limited Internet access, the closing date is advertised as today but no specific time is provided so I presume my application should be able to be submitted until 23:59:59 tonight? I was hoping to put it through after work today so around 6pm - 7pm
  15. If you're running Windows 7 you can create a system image using the built in tool to your backup drive (It won't wipe any data on the drive) but if your SSD is smaller than your current hard drive you need to shrink the C:\ partition down to a size smaller or equal to your SSD first using a tool such as GParted Live boot CD/USB. I tried the EaseUS and similar tools but none of them worked for my Mum's laptop!
  16. Got Google Apps Directory Sync working well and just the password sync to implement over the summer (as everyone will have to reset their password initially for that to work), how can we then configure it so when a user signs in to a PC with their AD account that if they open Google Chrome they are automatically signed in to it as their Google account so that their history etc is saved for roaming around? Hoping this is possible as the current way of storing their data in roaming profiles is getting out of hand and I would like to exterminate all staff roaming profiles this summer!
  17. Same under another user account / safe mode! I did a sfc and it claimed to find some corrupt files but couldn't repair them so that's a lot of use!
  18. My Mum's laptop has a really strange issue and I can't figure out what is causing it! Scanned the system with Malwarebytes and no malware found, the system appears to operate normally for Internet browsing etc but the System properties are blank! Plus a few other applets such as User Accounts
  19. What's the best low profile PCI card these days for WiFi? We have a Asus N66U router at home and my mums laptop is getting the full 50mb Internet speed with its wireless N card but my poor dad is running along at a peak of 15mb as I whacked in a really old Linksys Wireless G card so it needs an upgrade! Ideally one with support for 2.4ghz and 5ghz as the router can support both Cheers!
  20. I love how the quiz machines in pubs in a lot of cases still run Windows 2000! Try it, turn one off at the wall and back on!
  21. Was it? I know there was 4 candidates including myself...it was one of the longer interviews I have attended! The first task was also a bit confusing I felt, it seemed like a 'how would you approach each incident' but then in the interview they asked a vague 'how would you start to tackle everything' which threw me a bit. I have great admiration for the single tech having to run the whole show at the minute though, he did mention Edugeek so hi if you're on here To me it felt like another NM interview attended where they seemed to forget that a NM whilst they will be doing a lot of managerial stuff their main priority (from my own experience in several places!) will be babysitting the technical side of the network - certainly even more so when there is only one other team member to firefight!
  22. http://www.roydsschool.org/_site/data/files/users/63C00AE2D8FCC42915E32D4B2957B265.doc?pid=9
  23. Right a new problem in that someone uses this Google print options window to select 'A3' and it then retains this setting, so they go to print an A4 document and it comes out on A3 as they've forgotten to change the setting back! (And the actual driver properties show the paper size setting as A4). Is there any way via policy just to disable Google's printing rubbish and force the user to just use the actual printer driver to change their settings...you know like MOST OTHER APPLICATIONS?!
  24. @nikaso Thanks for the heads up, can I just ask how large the team is?
×
×
  • Create New...