-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
The one day I open the blind on our sun facing window and whats the first thing I see...a formation of pigs flying!
-
As far as devices go Microsoft is still very young in the world of BYOD - after all it once was BYOL (bring your own laptop/notebook) but the iPad and Apple changed that and companies like Citrix helped by making sure Receiver was available on pretty much every product out there. But all the same I now know of more people with Surfaces than I do iPads (5 against 3) so maybe this will change...
-
But then you are just replacing one 'domain' service for another - at no point did the OP mention a windows domain. 'Microsoft becomes less relevant to IT' - how so? With Office365 and services like Dynamics CRM online not to mention Windows Azure (which could even host your domain in 'the cloud' as a virtual machine) Microsoft are more relevant than ever.
-
I wouldnt say so - after all your domain is always going to be the thing that provides the logon services to the 'cloud services'. Ultimately we may reach the point where we no longer need PCs in IT rooms as the kids have their own kit (and I'm talking a LONG way off and thats assuming there is some way to fund it for students who don't have the money) but there will always be a domain in the background running the logon.
-
Could've started a deadly plague there Well adverted!
-
If you had all the other skills needed then I'd be surprised if it mattered
-
HP PoE Thin Client with integrated 18.5" Moniter
jamesfed replied to SYNACK's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Saw one at IPExpo (Oct last year) and at the time the guy said there were only 2 in the UK - I've been trying to get one on demo since to no luck They sure did look the part though - hardware looked great and robust its just a matter of how well the software runs... -
Just to add something here - 2 years and 1 day ago I bought my HTC Pro 7 (Windows Phone 7) and just a few days ago I upgraded it to the latest version of Windows Phone 7 (v7.8).... Now would someone mind comparing that to the release/update cycles of most modern Android phones?
-
How on earth did RM take 3 years to do this!?!
-
Just for the future is your core switch on a UPS? Ours is (simlar model) after we got bored with the length of time it takes to start up after a powercut
-
Active x Microsoft UAG not working during Appv sequence
jamesfed replied to imiddleton's topic in How do you do....it?
Personaly I've never put any IE plugins through App-V because they are a total pain - ultimately most of them go through GPO pretty easily with small install files (Flash/Silverlight/etc). So the fix here might be to just deploy the UAG plugin via MSI -
I did find one printer where I had to select the driver to install manually on my Surface RT but other than that Windows 8 seems pretty solid as far as printers go. What make/model is the printer that you are using?
-
Best of luck to you in your new place! I've always wanted to live in Gosport/Portsmouth one day (just took a weekend on a training course there and a follow up holiday to convince me!).
-
Yep it works just fine. You may have to get sysprep off the Windows XP CD though as it doesn't come built in as it does with Windows 7. Have a look on MDT when you get the chance - its a lot more flexiable than just plain on WDS.
-
Your VDI adventures - good or bad, please share.
jamesfed replied to Fruity's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I used to go quite in depth on these kinds of posts but very quickly realised I was just repeating myself over and over! Either way we've got Citrix VDI-in-a-Box here with PCI-E SSDs in the server running it to great effect, have posted most of my experiences on my blog here - VDI | my world of IT -
We are indeed - Oxford is close by and there is a regular bus service as well School is nice and quiet during the summer and we've got loads of projects in the planning this year including new broadband, transfer of control of email (Office 365) from the LEA to us, new thin clients to deploy and all manner of other things.
-
Well the time has come for me to move on to wider things (small secondary to large college) and as such my job is now up for grabs! Current vacancies There are two posts up on the site ICT Technician (£14,733-£15,444) & Senior ICT Technician (17,161-£19,126) however only one will get through out of the two! Work is full time, we've got Lync 2010, VDI, all kinds of Remote Working (VPN/Direct Access/HAP+), SharePoint 2013 intranet, Remote Desktop Servers, almost 100% Windows 7, App-V and loads of other toys! Any questions just let me know - - - Updated - - - Oh and mention RM in the interview and you may not make it out of the door alive….
-
[windows phone 7] Force update from 7.5 to 7.8
jamesfed replied to Jon_boy1984's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Sounds about right - all the same I'm happy as I am, no great need for anything that comes along with WP8- 22 replies
-
- update
- windows phone 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Nope no luck - sitting back on v7 for the time being which works fine
-
[windows phone 7] Force update from 7.5 to 7.8
jamesfed replied to Jon_boy1984's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Did the update on my HTC Pro 7 (no branding) a few days ago using this method and it works great looks and feels just like WP8 and is gonna keep me happy until a keyboard slider comes out with WP8 native on- 22 replies
-
- update
- windows phone 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Citrix VDI in a box demo day
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Well if you can make it before Feb 28th then you are more than welcome for a tour all the same We are out in Abingdon (Oxfordshire). -
Citrix VDI in a box demo day
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Plans were in motion for another day covering latest updates on VDI-in-a-Box, the new SoC thin clients from 10ZiG, our custom RDS Farm, Lync 2010 and Remote working.....then....I got a new job! Going to be starting at a new place in Henley in March so for the time being VDI Demo Day 2013 is off. However.......I am hoping to run at least some kind of event later in the year out of my new place so we shall see
