Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Midget

Members
  • Posts

    1,313
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Midget

  1. But it's just a video played through a flash based media player? Is YouTube full of "podcasts"? Maybe this'd be better named as YouTubeCasts or FlashCasts or BlokesOnASofaTele (BOAST) or some other stupid nonsencical name. Or they could just call it a bloody Video like everybody else.
  2. Can I make another suggestion. Remove the word PodCast. To quote Maddox:
  3. what do you do with so many servers?
  4. For your bog standard office monkey, who only uses Word and Excel (and somehow earns more than me), a locked down version of linux running OpenOffice or MSOffice with CrossOver Office should suffice and safe the company thousands of readies.
  5. I have this script to do it, but i run it manually instead of on a schedule. I suppose putting it on a schedule over lunch and at night would make sence, but not sure how to make it just remove the stalled jobs (this removes all jobs). oh btw PCPrintLogger is my ...print logger.............. ' Define the names of the Services sService1 = "LPDSVC" sService2 = "PCPrintLogger" sService3 = "Spooler" ' Create a shell object. Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'stop services WshShell.Run "net stop " & sService1,1,TRUE WshShell.Run "net stop " & sService2,1,TRUE WshShell.Run "net stop " & sService3,1,TRUE 'Delete Spool files Set foo = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") foo.DeleteFile "C:\WINNT\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*" 'start services WshShell.Run "net start " & sService1,1,TRUE WshShell.Run "net start " & sService2,1,TRUE WshShell.Run "net start " & sService3,1,TRUE
  6. MS was able to strongarm Dell in the past, and if Dell were to stop offering windows then their market share would plummet. If MS object, Dell will probably cave i like matt's idea though, have a PC with both windows and a linux option, and you get a nice little GUI asking you which one you want and firing off the installer for it.
  7. it doesn't really matter as long as its free. Novell SuSE would be a good choice as its a pretty simple flavour and as it's a large company, joe public would trust it more. Personally I'd go with a Debian based one, KUbuntu maybe
  8. DosBox> I'm sure I saw the same thing on reed last week for £12k
  9. Midget

    Respect

    Dare I ask what mattx said to start this all off so that others can avoid making the same mistake?
  10. yes it was but then I'm in Plymouth wages here seem to be far behind the rest of the country. There's your answer then, don't worry, Wales is just as bad, if not worse.
  11. In order to get people to use Firefox I rename the icon to "Internet Explorer" and set the icon to the blue E.
  12. Out of curiosity, was the pay also really poor?
  13. I just noticed that as I was creating a new RIPrep, I spent ages looking through the updates trying to find if they've hidden it in another package, but it appears to have gone. Either there is a big bug with it and they are doing a bit of damage limitation or there were enough complaints from people about it
  14. /me wonders who is "special" enough to require lowercase letter keyboards
  15. Out of curiosity why do you want to jump onto Office 2007 already? What's wrong with sticking with Office2003?
  16. My interview was like an interview with Denholm Reynholm from The IT Crowd.
  17. StarOffice isn't free so If you want free, then you'll be going for OpenOffice. Now I would get the IT Teachers to test it first, because part of their subject requires them to teach Access DBs and then Mail Merges based off them, with Macros doing the more complex tasks. I've never tried macros in OOWriter so I can't say how easy it is, but I can bet that if that feature IS included it wouldn't be VBA.
  18. Thats actually a really good price, I'll have to stop throwing out your catalogues However that Crystal All-in-One looks interesting, looks better than the ones we currently get. Are we able to change some of the spec on it? ad how much warrenty does it come with? Currently we are looking at ~£750 for an AllinOne with a E6400 C2Duo, 1GB RAM and a slimline DVD drive.
  19. I think all pupils with dyslexia should be given more lessons in english and spelling techniques, in order to help them develop, instead of pointless subjects such as French and PSE etc .....but then that'd require more teacher time, so it wouldn't happen.
  20. Due to alot of people coming and going into my office/serverroom I would like to get a camera recording people coming and going, however I'd prefer not to fork out a huge amount for a proper IP camera. So was wondering if it'd be possible to set up a webcam to a PC and have it save video whenever it detects movement and save it to the PC and a backup PC stored elsewhere. Has anyone set up this sort of system? Any ideas of a good webcam? Should I just get a proper IP-CCTV Camera instead?
  21. I don't have a DC server, just a small network with my mini-itx for NAS, XBox for films/music, 2 computers (one for photography/games and one for work, serving and storage) (used to be more) and a cheap printer server. I decided to simplify it down to this in order to tidy up everything.
  22. Midget

    whats tellnet

    Or "I want to be a l33t hax0r and break into Gatt's system. How do I do it?"
  23. Midget

    how !!!

    *throws a partay!*
  24. see! he needs a PUPIL/STUDENT title under his name.
  25. you can always take the toshiba route and just buy a surfboard and screw a pc onto it
×
×
  • Create New...