Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alonebfg

Members
  • Posts

    861
  • Joined

Everything posted by alonebfg

  1. I am using redirected desktop, apps and start menu the only problem i have is that everytime they log into a pc word, outlook ect ect all need to be reset. I thought the settings were save in the apps dir but i might be wrong. has anyone got any idea. At the moment i use a login script and not a profile. I am thinking i need to use a profile. I know it only happens after I run delprof on the network (every other day). If it just a case of adding a profile thats not a problem but I tried a MAN profile but it did not work with outlook tried to log everone in with the same username and password.
  2. It was just strange ie7 did not work with it until I installed firefox then it worked fine ?? then i removed firefox and it kept working.
  3. ok that is just strange I have installed firefox and it worked fine then looked at it in explorer and it now works in explorer. I have to uninstall explorer but i dont see that being a problem as it is now set up. that is just strange ??
  4. alonebfg

    help with webmin

    ok I have been using webmin for a while but I have never seen this before. I have placed 2 screenshots to explane better but when the page is loaded you cannot see it or interact with it. but when you goto print preview you can see the page in full any ideas.
  5. I was looking at the nokia but for some reason i kept being told not aval in uk so i just gave up but it does look like a nice bit of kit. (I love nokia) just got my umpc working with my n95 3g it is well cool.
  6. I can help have put my name forward (can also help with transport) also no need for hotel ect ect as have friends in the area and as for transport dont pay for conjestion charge so can help with moving things as well IE stuff you want for the stand. (I know have not been around for a while having probs with meds but starting back now) count me in.
  7. Look what i just got oqo e2 It arrived the only bad thing i can see is that it come with vista. But on the plus side easy to use and bought the dock for it to. It is wicked want to know more have a look here http://www.oqo.com/intl/products/index.html Oh and the cost ahm a mear £1500 (dont tell the mrs) its my early xmas pressy. lol well i did need it.
  8. ok if you want xp pro you need to pay for it if you have xppro you can use a licence kit IE select agreement and install xp pro using that key If the machine Depending on what it is (laptops i licince under WAH) you can install the volume licence key. If you want Im me I can put you on to a very knowlageble person.(not me)
  9. ok i seem to have found a soloution i have put it in a bat file and used is a a login script and it seems to work. The problem i have is i dont want to chang ownership as that will mess up the quota on the folder.
  10. Have had a bit of a problem need to gain access to students my documents folder (mistake on my part forgot to untick grant exclusive permissions) been using psexec -i -s \\matt hew cscript xcacls.vbs "d:\userdata\userdatas2006" /S /T /E /G administrators:F but then i get this ************************************************************************* Directory: D:\UserData\Userdatas2006\username Granting NTFS rights (F access for This Folder, Subfolders and Files) for "BUILTIN\Administrators" Completed successfully. ************************************************************************* ************************************************************************** Directory: D:\UserData\Userdatas2006\username\My Documents Error -2147217406: occurred setting Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting object. (Msg#501) Error description: Not found ************************************************************************** ************************************************************************** Directory: D:\UserData\Userdatas2006\username\My Documents\My Music Error -2147217406: occurred setting Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting object. (M sg#501) Error description: Not found ************************************************************************** ************************************************************************** Directory: D:\UserData\Userdatas2006\username\My Documents\My Pictures Error -2147217406: occurred setting Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting object. (M sg#501) Error description: Not found ************************************************************************** It is driving me mad tried putting it in a bat file and running a scedule and it still dont work??
  11. if you buy select licences you can only get vista now with the option to downgrade to whatever os you wish ?? I have just done the same thing if you want to talk about it i have got a really good contact. IE laptop if you buy licences for pcs under select agrement (not open select) you dont need licences for laptop if teacher use them at home as you can put xp and office on them as work at home licance. If you want to know more pm me. I found my suppler very helpful in this department and it is all above board and legal even checked with ms and they confermed as I thought I was being lead up the garden path. IE one desktop licence = 1 wah licance. http://www.microsoft.com/Education/WorkHome.mspx
  12. Ok i have it pointing at the local exchange bin but still got the problem Its driving me nuts. I am going to try on monday pointing at the exchange server bin
  13. I have Checked http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329136 but i dont know if i have it pointing to the right exchange/bin Do i point it to the exchange server bin or local tools exchange bin ?? Ittech its exchange 2003 cant touch 2007 not 64 bit.
  14. Ok Help me please. I have a problem. Have got 2 servers both 2k3 on has exchange on it the other is the pdc the everything works fine until i need to administer client permisions on the exchange server. I cant do it on any other machine as it come up with an error. Have googled it and still nothing. On the exchange sever the error does not happen just when you administer on another machine using exchange tools.
  15. If i ever see you i will buy you a beer lol I hope to go to a edugeek sometime and i will buy you all a beer. Well some of you lol
  16. best thing about it is that it cost nothing at all
  17. alonebfg

    proud nix newbie

    I have been playing with ubuntu for about a year and still a newbie at it. I have had a lot of help from people on this fourm also using the howto fourm. last wee i took a big step. One of the schools i work for needed a server for dhcp and some file saving. I thought this would be the perfect time to test my skills LOL. First ubuntu and it goes on an old P2 512mn ram so not the fastest kid on the block but then it is only acting as a dhcp server for 8 machines and a file server so it did not have to be fast. Next job dhcp ??? looked and installed it a treat np and then webmin and it worked a charm. But i hear you say you forgot to install all sorts of thing. At the time I did but this was my first time with webmin and i was really surprised. Any modules i had not installed it asked me to install. What a dream. And it is so easy to use. hasen to say it took me 2 hours for a newbie to set up dhcp with webmin. That includes installing ubuntu. I have had to do the same for windows 2003 this week and took me the same amount of time mostly due to instulation time. For any newbie out there nix is not hard if i can do this anyone can.
  18. Just a quick note to all the men out there if you ever get a chance to please donate to prostate cancer. And if you get a chance visit http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/ its becoming more common than brest cancer but men being men dont find out till its to late .
  19. tried that not a permissions issue authough admins can add but its to the printer que thats what confusing ?? permissions for printer que? by default it set to everyone and there are no share pomissions as far as i know just secuarty.
  20. No its not that I didnt want it blocked sorry if i was not clear enough. Its just if you stop run connand on start menu you cant type unc in explorer also been trying all weekend to get this printer problem sorted ??
  21. Hi all I would just like to say a big hello and im back. Due to real life issues have not been on here as much as I would like. Started work again and what a mess that is. One thing i would like to say is a big thankyou to the people who have sent me an email of support but its all better now(I Hope just aftercare). Also if anyone else is or has had a big C scare my heart goes out to you and you family. But what i will say is just fight it and you will get there dont let the b&$%£$d get you down.
  22. I have a 2 problems at the moment I have had to do a full new install of both my domain controles and starting from scatch. This is taking its toll on me. But the two problems I have are causing me a right headach. 1. In gpo i have disabled run in start menu I know this stops people typing //servername/share but i am sure there a way round that but for the life of me I can remember. 2. Printer Issue users cannot join printer que and i dont know why have investegated with no luck can add them as admin. But user just get error "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator" I have checked this point and print but am still no ferther on.
  23. I had the same problem as you. what i ended up doing was uninstalling 2 and 3 and reinstalling . I found out that activestudio does not like to be imaged try a full uninstall and reinstall. this is due to some of the data files being stored in personal profile which are reset during image i belive.
  24. I have downloaded all three and it looks really good I do have a problem when i downloaded i cant read two of the scripts.
  25. i would check cables from pc to plug i know we had a lose conection that done this. if it was the perment ones unless you got rat/mice its between sockets and link to pc.
×
×
  • Create New...