-
Posts
1,374 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by OverWorked
-
Found it by enabling firewall logging on the Solidworks License server. I looked for dropped packets from the client's IP. It was port 49345 (TCP) - other installations may be different.
-
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have the correct rules for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security? I'm trying to enable the firewall on my servers. I've read Solidworks support documentation (as much as I can find) and I've added the rules to allow incoming and outgoing ports 25734, 3030 and 1433 TCP and UDP; but still the client can't connect to the license server with the firewall on.
-
Hello, We have Remote Desktop Terminal Services Gateway on Server 2008 R2 for staff to use from home. Domain administrator accounts as well as staff can log on. This seems to me to be a big security hole - anyone could use a dictionary attack on my domain admin account (I have a good password). I've removed administrators from the user groups in the Connection and Resource Authorization Policies. Admins can still connect to the gateway, but can't logon to the desktop. Is there any way of stopping domain admin accounts from authenticating? Thanks.
-
Can't open .swf Flash files on IE9 & Win 7 x64
OverWorked replied to OverWorked's topic in Windows 7
No. When I had the problem, neither of these approaches worked. IE would just offer to download the .swf file. I think it may have been security setings in IE.- 9 replies
-
- flash
- flash active x
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
YouTube for Schools launched
OverWorked replied to AngryTechnician's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It seems to be picky in what it will accept. One of our teachers has a Youtube account and I've added his account no trouble. I've created a Youtube account from a Gmail account (in the form [email protected]). I can log onto Yotube OK with it, but trying to add it in the http://www.youtube.com/account_school page just results in "! User not found". It's definitely a valid Youtube username! I'va also tried the Youtube user ID from the account settings page. I've given up with this until Youtube can get this improved. I have reverted to the "block-all-youtube" policy we had before. This is just too kludgy to use in the real world. -
To get back to the original question:- a) probably not. If the thought of it "doesn't really interest" you then it sounds like you'll be making the same mistake I did. (I didn't really want to go, I just wanted to avoid working for a living - big mistake). Wait until you're older and more experienced, then you may decide it's right for you. b) Go for technical certs. Start with easier ones and work up. To start with, stick to ones directly relevant to the work you do - you'll find them easier and more useful to your CV. I started with CompTIA A+ and N+, then worked up through the MCPs to get MCSA, but they're superseded now so I might go for MCITP, or ITIL - I don't know yet.
-
There’s a lot of good advice is this thread – none of it is wrong. I think Robz sums it up best here. Don’t feel pressured into going to Uni. I’ve been twice, spending 5 years there, and it hasn’t done me much good. I’m over 40 now and think with hindsight that I could have done something more productive with those 5 years than go to Uni. Uni is only good for those who know what they want and that a degree is the way to get it. Very few people at the age of 18 do – I didn’t. I won’t be pushing my children to go. I like to think I’m a bit of an academic type. I enjoy learning and studying for exams – I’ve just never been able to translate all that education into well-paid work. What I’m saying is that a degree is not a conveyor belt to a wonderful job or life. Two anecdotes:- When at Uni, I shared digs with 2 accountancy students. I also had a friend who was working by other means to become a chartered accountant. Ten years later and my friend had no degree, but did have his own accountancy firm and was doing rather well, while the two with degrees were employees in large accountancy firms. After 20 years, my friend has branches all over northern England. The two graduates are probably still employees. My brother left school at 16 with one O-level, he became an electrician and since then has always earned much more than me. He sometimes asks me why I spent all that time at Uni, and I still don't have a convincing answer.
-
In the next 6-12 months. It's vague. Microsoft staff will be contacting Live@Edu customers individually.
-
At the EDIT2012 conf, the Microsoft rep announced that the A2 price plan would be free for education. This includes Email, Lync, Office apps, sharepoint, + other things I can't remember. There's supposed to be a copy of his powerpoint on EduGeek somewhere, but I can't find it. See the Link in Mr Ben's post above.
-
YouTube for Schools launched
OverWorked replied to AngryTechnician's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Check you've got the header right - you'll need to change the format slightly. Add a space after the colon. e.g. header code from Youtube X-YouTube-Edu-Filter:fn_-zdfdfdfhdhedr Header code to use in Smoothwall:- X-YouTube-Edu-Filter: fn_-zdfdfdfhdhedr edit: sorry - just noticed you had! -
I'm just going through the same process: adding certificates to Ruckus ZD and Smoothwall to eliminate certificate errors when users bring in their own devices. I've completed the Ruckus ZD stage, now struggling with Smoothwall. I bought a RapidSSL wildcard certificate from trustico for our external domain. (e.g *.school.sch.uk). You don't need to generate a CSR from a server to do this. From the vendor's website, I downloaded the certificate text file (just change the file extension from .txt to .cer), the private key text file (which I couldn't do anything useful with), and (I think) a .pfx file. I may have generated the .pfx file myself a few months ago after importing the private key and certificate into IIS - I can't remember. I used OpenSSL to extract a private key (.pem) from the .pfx file and used OpenSSL again to remove the password from the private key. This gave me the two files I needed to import into ZD:- the certificate (.cer) the private key (.pem) Import the .cer certificate file first. Because it doesn't match the ZD's private key, ZD will ask for the corresponding private key. Give it the private key, and then give it the certificate again. ZD will reboot and all should be good. This actually took me several attempts to get right, but worked in the end. I recommend getting a wildcard cert if you're going to install on several servers - it's cheaper and less hassle in the long run. Tips : Using openssl to extract private key ( .pem file) from .pfx (Personal Information Exchange) « Cycure That's the Ruckus ZD stage done. Can anyone help me and the OP with putting a certificate into Smoothwall, and getting clients to redirect to the Smoothwall's FQDN instead of the IP addfress, so the address matches the certificate? Thanks.
-
I can't register. I've tried from IE and Firefox. I keep getting I've filled in all the fields, including those without stars. Is it just me?
-
Can't open .swf Flash files on IE9 & Win 7 x64
OverWorked replied to OverWorked's topic in Windows 7
I've just looked at it again and this time I could set the file association for .swf to Adobe Flash Player. It works. The strange thing is that when I tried this last week, the only application offered was IE (which refused to play .swf files), and I couldn't find the Adobe Flash Player executable to browse to. I've no idea why it's now working without me changing anything - possibly the user has run the Adobe Flash Player autoupdate? Probably nothing to do with the OS being 64-bit. Thanks to Arthur for recommending the Flash Projector - it's worth knowing.- 9 replies
-
- flash
- flash active x
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Can't open .swf Flash files on IE9 & Win 7 x64
OverWorked replied to OverWorked's topic in Windows 7
Thanks everyone. I think the standalone Flash Player Projector is probably the best answer. I'll try it when I get access to the 64-bit machine (it's the deputy Head's laptop).- 9 replies
-
- flash
- flash active x
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Help! Windows 7 Ent x64, IE9, Adobe Flash Player v11.2 64-bit We can’t open .swf files in IE9. Flash content on websites works perfectly well, but not .swf files from the local hard drive. I’ve tried changing the file association to the Flash Player executable, but can’t find it. Where is it? A lot of Googling hasn’t found a definite answer, though some say that Firefox will work. I haven’t tried Firefox to open Flash files, as it’ll just make things more complex for the users. Has anyone got .swf files to open on 64-bit Windows? Thanks.
- 9 replies
-
- flash
- flash active x
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
YouTube for Schools launched
OverWorked replied to AngryTechnician's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
deleted - posted twice -
YouTube for Schools launched
OverWorked replied to AngryTechnician's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Right... I've got the Youtube header modification Smoothwall rule working for students. Now a few questions on how to manage Youtube Education. How do we actually manage Youtube Education? I've created a Google & Youtube account. During the account creation there was the opportunity to add the name of another account to administer it, but I can't see any way of doing that now. I'd like teachers to create their own Youtube accounts, then I could add them to the school 'account'. Or I could just give them all the username and password for the account - not ideal. How do I manage the school's Youtube account. Is there such a thing? Should the header mod be applied to all users, or just students? As I see it, if staff log into Youtube with the account I've created, they don't need the header mod. If I log onto Youtube with the administrative account, I can add a video to a playlist so students can watch it. This is good, but not what I was expecting. I just want them to see a channel for our school - is this possible? -
Fortunately I have only one of these MR052 machines remaining. Slight variation on the above. I started the XP installation from the CD, deleted existing partitions, allowed it to create one partition and powered off immediately after the format. Then installed Win 7 from the DVD to the existing XP-created partition. Windows XP puts the 100MB extra partion at the end of the drive, whereas Windows 7 puts it at the start. I'd never noticed that before, but the MR052 BIOS doesn't like it. I didn't need to flash the BIOS. Works as a one off, but no good for mass deployment. Edit - just read down and realised that's what tompaa65 and DosBox said! Anway - it works.
-
(post deleted)
-
I've installed it on a Hyper-V VM just to look at, but I can't send the Windows logo keypress to it, so can't do anything with it. Is there a way of sending the Windows logo to the VM?
-
Straight talking! That's what I like to see. I don't actually have any urgent need to deploy drivers via WSUS. I don't have any driver problems. I thought it just might be good practice. I think I'll leave it, then.
-
Thanks. This is just the kind of thing I was wary of. Years ago I had machines that detected and installed the wrong AC'97 audio driver from the RIS image. Once a machine has installed the wrong driver, it's a fiddly process getting it to accept the right one.
-
Why - what happens? This is the sort of thing I was wary of!
-
I've been wary of doing this since Windows Update installed a wrong driver on my XP home computer years ago. I haven't trusted Windows Update with drivers since. Has anyone had any problems or was my experience a one-off?
-
I also use FRSM to prevent them saving executables and .swf files to the share. It's another deterrent for them and reduces storage space waste. If you use DFS, like I do, then you also have to set identical policies on each server that hosts the share. I've found another loophole the darlings are exploiting. They can embed .swf files in Office documents. Does anyone know of a way to stop this?
