sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
This is driving me mad. I think it is probably some sort of driver issue, however it has only reared its head in the last month or so and beforehand we used the same printer for over a year with no issues, and I've tried numerous different drivers. A pupil will be working in Publisher or Word, typing and pasting some pictures in. Sometimes it prints fine. But other times some of the pictures print in greyscale, yet others on the same sheet are in full colour!? Saving as PDF and then printing always works fine. Printer is a HP M551 (hate this thing so much) and using Office 2010 on W7 x86 with latest HP Universal Driver (was previously using an M551 dedicated driver and problem still occurred) Any ideas?
-
I use a standard PC that was in the round of replacements in the summer: Core i3-3220 4GB RAM 128GB SSD
-
Happy for this for my personal Mac but it's a bit frustrating to have blown a few hundred quid in the summer on upgrading everything at work to 10.8
-
We've bought around 10 Olympus VR-340's in the last year or so - the teachers love them. They don't blow you away picture quality or build quality wise, but they're pretty good and none have broken yet *touches wood*
-
What backup software are people using on Server 2012?
sidewinder replied to ronnoco's topic in Windows Server 2012
I've just had to keep my backup servers on 2008 R2 to use BE. But I won't be using Backup Exec in future after this, Symantec are completely and utterly hopeless. To not have support for an OS a full year after it's release is ridiculous -
Google in IE appearing blank and needs to be scrolled
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows 7
Great, guess what I just deployed yesterday -
Perhaps not for a large secondary but for a smaller prep school like mine it has been fine. It blocks what it needs to and does so very well. Also noticed in the newest version there is an option to use Websense cloud for filtering rather than running Webblocker on a local server. Whether thats a good thing depends on how you view Websense I guess
- 79 replies
-
- firewall
- recommendations
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Seems like it would be worth the £20 extra to get the Tesco one, for the better specs. lol @ it being branded with 'Bush' - all that reminds me of is crappy late 90's TV's
-
Network Manager - Richmond, Surrey - 18 Month Contract
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Just a reminder that this closes on Friday -
I use Tuxera at home - think I got it with a discount code earlier in the year. It works flawlessly, I've not had to touch it since I installed it. And I write to NTFS USB drives a lot
-
[for sale] Microserver N36L (Private sale)
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Classified Adverts
Sorry I should have posted before, it is gone I'm afraid. Went with Gumtree in the end -
Yeah I've had issues with this too. Some other sites where there is no flash based volume control are useless because you can barely hear it
-
IE10 Homepage via GPP - every other setting works apart from home page?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Ok this is driving me insane - why does the GPP registry setting not apply??? I've even created a brand new GPO with just this setting and applied it to another OU but no, it will not change the settings in HKCU. No errors are logged. Changing settings in HKLM always works fine, why not HKCU? Tried update, create and replace, none work. -
IE10 Homepage via GPP - every other setting works apart from home page?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Thanks. I've tried adding those registry entries using a GPP registry option which should work as well as a script but still it gets set to about:blank. I have a suspicion that something else is setting this! -
I've been trying to configure a group policy preference to set the homepage in IE10. There have been a few other threads about this I know but none have helped. The thing is, the preferences are definately applying, as if I tick a random option anywhere else and then check it on a client, it has worked. It is only the homepage that will not work - it insists on defaulting to about:blank I know about pressing F6 to make the line green underneath the setting, which I have done (screenshot attached) I'm setting the GPO on our 2012 DC, domain level is still only 2008R2 (though that shouldnt matter surely?) and clients are Win 7 x86 What am I doing wrong?
-
Filtering on URL Shorteners - looking for opinions
sidewinder replied to nikaso's topic in General Chat
^ Was thinking the same. Just tried myself with a blocked site, and even when using goo.gl it still gets blocked -
Network Manager - Richmond, Surrey - 18 Month Contract
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Just realised that there is a job description on Monster, so only fair I attach it here too Network Manager Job Description (updated).doc Started in early 2011 -
This thread title made me lol briefly
-
Network Manager - Richmond, Surrey - 18 Month Contract
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Location clarified in title now, sorry! nephilm you have PM -
This is currently my job, which the school are recruiting for on an 18 month contract basis while I take a sabbatical. It's a great place to work, very friendly and a nice community feel. The infrastructure and network have been developed a lot in the last few years but there is still plenty to do day to day and long term. KING'S HOUSE SCHOOL IAPS Preparatory School for 420 boys aged 3-13 (co-ed in Nursery) IT Network Manager Contract appointment January 2014 – July 2015 We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, well-qualified and experienced Network Manager to be responsible for the School’s IT network. This is a hands on role, with involvement in all areas of the schools IT, including maintenance, day to day operational issues and user support. The salary is negotiable depending upon relevant experience, and is expected to be not less than £30,000 with five weeks’ paid holiday per annum. The successful applicant will require vision to drive the development of the School’s IT infrastructure, good interpersonal skills as a member of the bursary team reporting to the Bursar, and expense management skills as holder of the IT development budget. Excellent technical and problem solving skills are required, with familiarity of the latest technologies essential. The school has three sites linked by leased line, and one site standalone. There are three ICT suites, and all classrooms are networked with IWB’s. Further details and an application form can be obtained from: The Bursar, King's House School 66 King's Road, Richmond, TW10 6ES. Email: [email protected] Closing Date : Friday 18 October 2013 King’s House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; applicants must be willing to undergo the child protection screening appropriate to the post including checks with the Disclosure Baring Service.
-
Done mine now too and have to say it really feels like a new phone. No real speed issues to speak of, and the control centre solves everything I used to need to do with a jailbreak. Just having a torch easily available is a godsend!
-
XX-YY-ZZ XX - site (we have 4) YY - room name, will add LT if it is a laptop ZZ - number (omitted if a classroom with just teacher PC) In a single site school I'd probably just replace site name with DT for desktop and LT for laptop
-
My girlfriend did hers over the weekend and it is surprisingly fine....I had read bad things about it but I did a side by side test with mine on iOS6 last night and although there are things that are perhaps slightly faster on 6, it was hardly noticeable. Typing seemed smooth too, which was my biggest worry
-
Was a general comment at those who said they carried them on their belts
-
I'd be concerned about carrying one on your belt, not for safety but because it looks ridiculous!
