Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Anonymous2000

Members
  • Posts

    64
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Anonymous2000

  1. Yep. We are fixed at 1.89% Luckily til mid 2025 but who knows what it will look like by then. We are overpaying each month on the hope we can shorten the term. Surprising how much difference over paying by a regular small amount makes.
  2. There should 2 or 3 PP ones under Student. Let me see if I can find it's name
  3. Someone at PP defo knows as they said it was odd and they had about a dozen cases across all their schools.
  4. Yes - and PP know what it is too. Basically if you run the report in SIMS that PP uses (can't recall the exact name but it is something about phones list) and look at the output in front of some of the phone numbers you will find some spurious characters in there. ESS reckon it is to do with copying and pasting data in rather than typing it. Anyway once you have the report you can identify the records affected. 00XXXX 07944330212 The is the bit that shouldn't be there Open the student record in SIMS Delete the phone number record listed in the spreadsheet (you can't see the extra characters in SIMS) Save the record Re-add the phone number – YOU MUST TYPE THE PHONE NUMBER NOT COPY AND PASTE Save the record Once you have found all of those you should be good to go.
  5. Yep - apparently ESS have enforced this 1 release too early. It was meant to be coming in at the next release. SIMS - the gift that keeps on giving.
  6. Microsoft Support can help you.
  7. Pretty sure this is related to Sophos.
  8. There are several things that seem to cause problems. One being a lot of LA schools have to use specific job roles that have been evaluated on the Hay job evaluation system. This often means schools can only pay certain grades. Most LAs seem to offer scale 7 or 8 for Network Manager. That tops out at approx £30.5k for 7 and £34.5k for 8 which when you factor in the crazy times we are in, cost of commuting and the wide skillset needed isn’t massive. Academies often have more choice but seem to follow the herd in the main. I was lucky - the MAT I was at before my present post knew IT mattered and paid me and my team well. I see lots of posts come up 2 or 3 times before they are filled and they often seem to end up recruiting “they will do” rather than have no one. As an IT support provider we then find the newly appointed “network manager” coming for support on things that really should be bread and butter for a decent NM. Schools need to start seeing IT support as a key post in the school and paying accordingly. They usually find big salaries for Business Managers/Bursars but then low ball for IT. I don’t see how this will change to be honest but something needs to be done or the best people will move into better paying jobs and you are left with a race to the bottom.
  9. I used to ride when I was young but now know how much longer I take to heal. Seriously thinking of buying a Piaggio MP3 or Peugeot Metropolis though - can ride on my car licence. Not many over here but massive on the continent.
  10. Is the link to Greater Jobs the new one as it still says expired when I click it.
  11. Key is one per site not per station. First person to run SIMS after the upgrade gets the prompt, if they cancel I believe it disables the Census panels until someone adds the key. Also I believe there is a fileset that needs importing after the upgrade then another patch so essentially they are releasing Spring 22 knowing it already needs a patch.
  12. I tried that (choice eliminator) a while back and it worked in test but when parents hit it we found it couldn’t eliminate slots fast enough so ended up with multiple people booking the same slot
  13. Saw it last night. Good in parts but a bit plodding in places I have to disagree with the earlier comment - Spectre was much better IMHO
  14. Yes - in SOLUS 3 extract the patch to a folder. In the extracted folder is a patch to the database which you can run using DBUpgrade. Copy the rest of the folder contents to S:\sims\setups. This is basically a new pulsar.exe and some DLLs. On the machine you want the patch on run (from S:\sims\setups run simsapplication.exe This reinstalls and pulls the new files over. Done that for a few schools and it works fine. Bit of a bodge but it works. To test if the workstation patch has applied to a particular station: Go to Tools/Statutory Return Tools/ and in the drop down Update Funding and Monitoring should be an option. If that is not there then the patch is not on that station.
  15. I tend to think there must be a tech solution to this problem. I guess there is no incentive for cinemas. For me they should just put subtitles on but I guess some people might not like that. We have them on all the time so I just get used to them.
  16. Talk about first world problems!
  17. These guys are great https://www.audioworks.co.uk/
  18. I know BTLS have spoken to Netsweeper but they are struggling to see any issues.
  19. IIRC if you log a call with Capita they can tell you what it was registered as.
  20. I guess forwarding within school systems is fine. For me they were forwarding to random personal hotmail addresses which I think is a different matter.
  21. I think there needs to be some internal discussion before you just turn it on. I had a member of staff forwarding all their work email to their personal hotmail account. I think given emails could contain sensitive data allowing staff to ping them automatically outside your system may have GFPR/safeguarding issues.
  22. Have you checked if they have set a rule up in outlook to forward. I had one recently where there was nothing in exchange showing as forwarding but they had set themselves a rule up. There is a report in the Office 365 admin centre but I don’t recall where it is. If someone doesn’t beat me to it I will have a look on Monday and add to the post.
  23. Hi all To cut a long story short I left my post as IT Manager for a small MAT at Xmas. Thought I’d had enough of schools so took a job with an MSP. Put simply I hate it. The company are slow, not customer focused and so hung up on red tape its untrue. I could go on.... i desperately need to get out as my mental health is taking a battering causing my depression to be worse than it has in years. If anyone hears of an IT or Data management job in Lancashire please would you mind pinging me a message - I need to get back to working directly for a school or college. Apologies it’s a bit brief but too much info and someone my workout who I am. Many Thanks fellow Edugeeks
      • 2
      • Thanks
  24. Sadly too many people believe this sort of nonsense
  25. Exe run from network for me. 1 version to look after in 1 place
×
×
  • Create New...