chris_uk Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Last week my nice Toshiba 40" Picture frame TV decided to get a line three inches from the left hand side. After speaking to toshiba they have said "known problem. contact place you purchased from for a refund" Awesome. I am now getting a full refund on my two year old TV from Dabs. I do now need to get a new TV. I am after something that has a very small surround. The Toshiba although it was a 40" screen fitted into the same space as a 37" screen due to the small surround. Any suggestions, I need to get it ordered as the broken one is being picked up on Friday. Thanks Chris
featured_spectre Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 I would suggest an LG or Samsung tv, got Samsung in my front room and have had for 4 years, works a treat compared to my brothers Sony and my mums toshiba, both of which broke within 24 months. I got an LG from CPLtd a few years ago and its been solid as a rock for gaming, pc and tv.
bossman Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 @chris_uk: SNAP!! I too am looking for roughly a 40" or 42" either LCD, Plasma or LED which has wireless connectivity and freeview built in, usb, hdmi connections also a must and if no wireless available an RJ45 socket for network connectivity. It must have a decent fast play engine and good black colours along with a decent sound output. There! that's not much to ask for is it? Anyone got any advice as to which models to look at before making a choice?
chris_uk Posted May 16, 2011 Author Posted May 16, 2011 Can't go far wrong with an LG50PK350... I got shot when I ordered the 40" TV and PS3! I was surprised at how cheap it was from Richer Sounds
Haptic Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Last week my nice Toshiba 40" Picture frame TV decided to get a line three inches from the left hand side. Which model was it as I have one and now I am worried? The picture has always been excellent, however it is the actual tv sound that lets it down for me. Surround sound soon sorted that though! Chris
witch Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 @chris_uk: SNAP!! I too am looking for roughly a 40" or 42" either LCD, Plasma or LED which has wireless connectivity and freeview built in, usb, hdmi connections also a must and if no wireless available an RJ45 socket for network connectivity. It must have a decent fast play engine and good black colours along with a decent sound output. There! that's not much to ask for is it? Anyone got any advice as to which models to look at before making a choice? AFAIK my Samsung has got all this but I can't think of the model offhand - it is only a couple of months old - bought from Comet.. 1
SYNACK Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Get something with a network port and if you want to play any normal formats though it avoid sony. I've put in 3 Samsung's to various places including my own and all of them are working great. 1
chris_uk Posted May 16, 2011 Author Posted May 16, 2011 Which model was it as I have one and now I am worried? The picture has always been excellent, however it is the actual tv sound that lets it down for me. Surround sound soon sorted that though! Chris Manufacturer : TOSHIBA Product : 40" Picture Frame LCD Model: 40xf355db Toshiba 40XF355D - 40" Widescreen Pictureframe 1080P: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics I was very happy with the TV as well, also found the sound abit annoying. But had a 5.1 surround sound system plugged in.... Well I had, it was until my son peed in it 1
chris_uk Posted May 16, 2011 Author Posted May 16, 2011 LG LG LG LG This post was brought to you by LG Any suggestions on a good model number? My old one is being picked up on Friday so need to get one ordered and delivered!
bondbill2k2 Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Id always opt for samasung, all tv's in my house are aparnt from a 22" LG in my little brothers room. Not sure on my model but it has a couple of USB ports,a red tint to the screen surround and touch sensative front buttons. Its also Very loud for built in speakers I never have it above 18 and thats less then quarter of its max volume!
john Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 Another vote for Samsungs here love them wouldn't have anything but them
plexer Posted May 16, 2011 Posted May 16, 2011 I assume that people saying led are only referring to led backlit tv's? Ben
SYNACK Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 I assume that people saying led are only referring to led backlit tv's? Ben Yeap, unless they have a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars to look at a 'small' entry level stadium display LED should use less power be more robust and last a little longer but thanks to RoHS the gear has a very firm lifespan anyway making the differnence in expected lifetimes between CFL backlit LCD and LED backlit LCD much less than it probably would otherwise be.
cpjitservices Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 LG Tv's are excellent but IF I could afford it I'd go down the Panasonic Vierra or Pioneer road - my old Panasonic CRT Quintrix has lasted nearly 9 years and still going strong - in fact I gave it too my brother in law and he can play blu-ray DVD's on it even though it's a CRT it's got a flat screen at 1000 MHz:P - Good old Panny's!
mac_shinobi Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 LG Tv's are excellent but IF I could afford it I'd go down the Panasonic Vierra or Pioneer road - my old Panasonic CRT Quintrix has lasted nearly 9 years and still going strong - in fact I gave it too my brother in law and he can play blu-ray DVD's on it even though it's a CRT it's got a flat screen at 1000 MHz:P - Good old Panny's! I have a samsung which has been rock solid but the remote control is very delayed and I don't like the remote on it so I am thinking the same here ref Panasonic / Pioneer. Never had an LG
RTFM Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 The problem with the LED TV's (especially the Samsungs) is that due to having so little depth to them the speaker quality is poor as they dont have the depth to resonate properly making the sound 'tinny' (this is on quite a few reviews if you look around online). I was looking at Samsung but am going to get one of the new Sony Bravia ranges which were released in the last 3-4 weeks and come with a 5 year manufactuer warranty. I went to an independant local TV store and was speaking to them about this in there (they sold all types of model TV's) and they basically said "Samsung look nice from the outside but dont have much inside" and highly recommended the Sony's & Panasonic's.
Quackers Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 (edited) I would say go Panasonic. The assistent site managers son accidently spilt water down the back of his Panasonic Plasma TV about 3 years ago, when the engineer came out to fix his tv he said this was this is the first Panasonic they had come out to as they do not generally go wrong. The main site managers Toshiba LCD TV went on the blink and when the engineer came out he asked him what brand he said is the best for reliability and he said Panasonic too. Also Panasonic have Pioneers Kuru technology now. We have LG's at school and seem to have nice features but i do not expect them to have the reliability of the Pannys Edited May 17, 2011 by Quackers
witch Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 The sound on my Samsung is definitely not particularly 'tinny'. I have played all sorts of sounds from orchestral to screaming and it seems fine to me
RTFM Posted May 17, 2011 Posted May 17, 2011 The sound on my Samsung is definitely not particularly 'tinny'. I have played all sorts of sounds from orchestral to screaming and it seems fine to me *shrug* the guy had no reason to lie, the Samsung i was looking at was more expensive than the Sony he recommended to me. He wasn't some Curry's bod either as he ran the local TV shop i went into so he knew his stuff. I've had no first hand experience of it though and am passing on second hand information, you've got a Samsung and say its fine so.....
chris_uk Posted May 17, 2011 Author Posted May 17, 2011 Has any one got one of these TV's? Samsung UE40D5000 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now