gshaw Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 I'm looking at a DL180 server to house our Veeam backups and want to keep it in our office, which is at the other end of the building to the server room. Only thing is that having spent a few years getting comms kit out the room and making it nice and quiet I don't want a server making a racket in the corner so was looking for an acoustic cabinet that's suited for offices. I've seen some ads in PC magazines for them but can't remember the manufacturer name, anyone used one of them before and are they any good at keeping server noise to a minimum? Or if anyone has a DL180 how noisy are they?
TronXP Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 Server Cabinets - Virtually silent, Sound Proofed Server Rack Solution I believe is what you are looking for. 1
3s-gtech Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 +1 for Kell, we have a small unit housing a Dell PE 1550 and two CCTV systems. Very unobtrusive, you pay for the quality though.
FN-GM Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 +1 for Kell, we have a small unit housing a Dell PE 1550 and two CCTV systems. Very unobtrusive, you pay for the quality though. What did you pay please? Do they work well? Thanks
gshaw Posted March 22, 2011 Author Posted March 22, 2011 Yup that's the ones I think Now just need to see if our usual suppliers can get hold of them and how much the cabinets cost! Edit: ouch! http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=kell+PSE12#q=kell+PSE12&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf&biw=1680&bih=949&fp=51aee494437e607e
john Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 The latest HP Servers are not that loud really compared to older generations. I had 3x HP Proliant DL360 G6s in my office on top of the filing cabinet for 3 months, yes the room became stupidly hot at night with the door shut, thus first thing they were a bit "vocal" but once they had cooled down and the room was cooler they were no louder than a rack mount switch. Obviously on first boot / reboot they are rather loud but thats only for a minute or two till they settle down.
FN-GM Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 my network manager suffers from Tinnitus after being sat next to a rack of switches for years. Its not worth putting up with it to be honest.
Arthur Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 If you need something a bit smaller (4U/6U), there's there Acousti XRackPro2... http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/rack http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/quiet_rack_cabinets.asp
gshaw Posted March 23, 2011 Author Posted March 23, 2011 6U would probably do it... - DL180 (2U) - APC UPS (2U) - switch \ patch panel (2U)
3s-gtech Posted March 23, 2011 Posted March 23, 2011 What did you pay please? Do they work well? Thanks Around £1500. Works very well - fitted in an office with no complaints. The old 48 port HP Procurve switch in there totally drowned it out - that's gone for a silent one now too.
Norphy Posted March 23, 2011 Posted March 23, 2011 Server Cabinets - Virtually silent, Sound Proofed Server Rack Solution I believe is what you are looking for. My last workplace had two of these (or something very similar) in the IT office, they housed about six to eight servers plus numerous switches. They were very effective at killing the noise but make sure that you have good ventilation and cooling in the room that you're putting them in because although the material these things are made of is very good at killing noise, it's also very good at trapping heat.
SmellyLlama Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 If you need something a bit smaller (4U/6U), there's there Acousti XRackPro2... http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/rack Silent Server Cabinet Experts - unbiased advice on a soundproof quiet rack cabinet from the UK's Independent Specialists Thumbs up for these.
gshaw Posted April 6, 2011 Author Posted April 6, 2011 I think the Kell ones are going to be too pricey, nice as they are. Might even have to end up with a standard rack but not having much luck finding one from our usual suppliers at the moment, bit more digging required I guess... Edit: that said this might do the trick http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/orion_acoustic_mini.asp
magicbox Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 (edited) When I was looking at different types of racks I was surprised how many types were on the market. It's a bit of a minefield getting the correct features and trading it off with a decent price. This Buyers Guide was fairly helpful in the sense it gave me all the info. I needed in one place http://www.commsbuyer.com/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1393753 I eventually settle for one that killed two birds with one stone i.e dissapating heat and keeping the office quiet (Upto7.2KW of heat and I think about 90% sound reduction) it was a while ago now. Edited December 6, 2013 by magicbox Spelling
zag Posted December 6, 2013 Posted December 6, 2013 If you buy the new Dell R320 servers they are dead silent. I have 8 sitting next to me in a rack
john Posted December 10, 2013 Posted December 10, 2013 A lot of servers, after the initial start up / BIOS / POST checks they do go silent, the new Gen 8 HPs I've used after start up are silent in operation as well
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now