Dos_Box Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 I was casually lookign through Ebay last night on the off chance that there is a decent iPad knock off available yet, and failing miserably. The aPad, ePad and various flavours of Android powered devices (all running 1.x) still fall short on what I require. These generally have 500Mhz processors for the Android tablets and 1.6 Atom processors for Windows (Starter edition) varients with only a maximum of 1GB of RAM to be had. What I'd love is a device I can setup to use as an in car MP3/entertainments system, GPS (via integral GPRS module) a 3G modem and bluetooth so I could use it instead of a Parrot kit perhaps. It 'should' be specced to a minimum of the following; Tablet format 7-9 Inch touch screen 1.6Ghz (dual core) Atom processor 2GB RAM 120GB Hard drive GPRS Bluetooth Integrated 3G Modem USB powered via in-car power socket 3.5mm Audio in\out Windows 7 Home Edition Customisable interface to access functions easily on the move such as applications, volume phone dialer etc. A mounting bracket to attach to the dash (level with the stereo\console, not the windscreen) Such as device would allow me to bin my iPod, Parrot, Sat-Nav and roll them up into a single, powerful, small, multifunctional device I could dismount at the end of my journey and still use to get my email, browse the web and carry our some minor business functions. Surely it can't be that long to wait for one?!
Ric_ Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 You should have just bought a head unit like mine in the first place and then you can carry your beloved laptop for computing duties
jamesb Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 There's a few more tablet devices being announced at the moment: Hannspree outs £329 10.1in Android tablet ? reghardware Viewsonic intros £350 7in Android tablet ? reghardware
krisd32 Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 You culd get some ideas from these guys and create your own.
Dos_Box Posted September 1, 2010 Author Posted September 1, 2010 You should have just bought a head unit like mine in the first place and then you can carry your beloved laptop for computing duties You know why I can't Ric!* *Damn you Lexus, damn you!
Domino Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 BOOOM: Car Computer - Midrange System of course you could just buy a microatx motherboard and put it together yourself. lazy.
Ric_ Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 You know why I can't Ric!* *Damn you Lexus, damn you! Where there's a will, there's a way
Domino Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 Where there's a will, there's a way ...and a drill
Ric_ Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 ...and a drill ... and a saw... and a hammer... oooh don't forget the expanding foam too
LeMarchand Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 What I'd love is a device I can setup to use as an in car MP3/entertainments system, GPS (via integral GPRS module) a 3G modem and bluetooth so I could use it instead of a Parrot kit perhaps. Don't most Smartphones have the functionality you want (but not the specs)? I made a mount for my HD2 (attached a belt clip to an L bracket - just pop phone off belt and into clip), and voilá music + satnav + hands-free calls in car with (to some degree) customisable interface with basic office + email (if I could be bothered to set it up) + web + whatever else I use (looks at main apps: comics, ebooks and PS1 games plus photos, movies etc etc) when not in car.
Dos_Box Posted September 1, 2010 Author Posted September 1, 2010 Yes, my Nexus One does all of the above, however, it's screen isn't large enough to prod accurately on the move, or read easily, which is why I want a larger screen, but it would also be nice to have the ability to remove it and take it with me when on business trips.
ZeroHour Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 This device is a car crash waiting to happen tbh when you think about it. One other issue would be you would have to stick your sim in every time you get into your car to get calls through it.
LeMarchand Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 Yes, my Nexus One does all of the above, however, it's screen isn't large enough to prod accurately on the move, or read easily, which is why I want a larger screen, but it would also be nice to have the ability to remove it and take it with me when on business trips. Only 5", but what about the Dell Streak?
Dos_Box Posted September 1, 2010 Author Posted September 1, 2010 This device is a car crash waiting to happen tbh when you think about it. One other issue would be you would have to stick your sim in every time you get into your car to get calls through it. Not really. I already have my iPod Touch and sat-nav runnimg whilst in the car and my phone connected via Parrot. It'd be nice to roll it all up into one system. Yes the SIM issue is a bug bear, but with a small enough Android tablet then I'd just have to wear a pair of really baggy pants to fit it in
Domino Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 http://www.spock.com/i/NNL1lyWNh/Mc-Hammer.jpg
ZeroHour Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 Not really. I already have my iPod Touch and sat-nav runnimg whilst in the car and my phone connected via Parrot. It'd be nice to roll it all up into one system. Yes the SIM issue is a bug bear, but with a small enough Android tablet then I'd just have to wear a pair of really baggy pants to fit it in Yeh I just wouldnt want try and read/write email, "I am just driving home as;ldkjlahfoisrghosighdiofgndfiopbndfopbi" could be the email 1
Dos_Box Posted September 1, 2010 Author Posted September 1, 2010 The email side would be for when I was out of the car. Anyway, don't you want a dev phone for the online apps ?
EduTech Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 Yeh I just wouldnt want try and read/write email, "I am just driving home as;ldkjlahfoisrghosighdiofgndfiopbndfopbi" could be the email Lmao!! Yes aha! sorry that made me laugh
john Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 ... and a saw... and a hammer... oooh don't forget the expanding foam too You missed the most important item out though guys, Gaffa-Tape!!!!! Whats so fancy about your head unit then Ric?
mac_shinobi Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 If you look at the car audio direct website I posted somewhere ( google for it ) they do pioneer dual din systems ( touch screen ) that include media system, sat nav etc - not sure if it meets your specs ref ram, cpu etc but does what it says on the tin although they are like £400 plus Short of that you could get a dell laptop rigged for the audio side and use sat nav on your google nexus one phone
tech_guy Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 My HTC Desire does it all for me - FM Radio / MP3 / SAT NAV
mac_shinobi Posted September 1, 2010 Posted September 1, 2010 My HTC Desire does it all for me - FM Radio / MP3 / SAT NAV I've just got a pioneer DEH 7100BT stereo and that does enough for me - not video though but I cant drive and watch movies - just wouldn't work for me im afraid !!
Dos_Box Posted September 2, 2010 Author Posted September 2, 2010 I think we may have a winner!! BBC News - Galaxy Tab unveiled as Samsung's first tablet computer
Dos_Box Posted September 10, 2010 Author Posted September 10, 2010 (edited) I've changed my mind, however, saving £500 I can get one of these, a Witstech A81-E, for about £170 and it has GPS, as well as supporting 3G dongles Witstech A81E - Wiki It will handle the MP3 and GPS functions I really wanted a single device for. As I have an Android CoPilot licence it will not need net connectivity. It has Android 2.2 and the latest ROM also means that Flash and GPS issues have now been fixed. Now then. What's the best Android media player out there? And if anyone can find a decent car tablet dash\screen mount please let me know. Edited September 10, 2010 by Dos_Box
tech_guy Posted September 13, 2010 Posted September 13, 2010 (edited) Here you go: http://www.apple.com/ipad/velcro/ Edited September 13, 2010 by tech_guy
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now