Norphy Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Our connection to the internet has been down since about half eightish on Monday morning and has only just been restored. The way we connect to the internet is interesting to say the least. We have a radio connection from here to a local Lower School about two miles away. From there, there is another radio connection to the exchange in the town centre which connects to the County Council who then connect to the RBC (e2bn) and out to the net. Latency is stupidly high but thats another story. Anyway, the internet connection fell over on Monday morning. At the same time the council had a problem with one of their filters which we were told was the problem. We heard nothing back from them so we phoned them again towards the end of the day. They said that as far as they knew everything was OK so they eventually agreed to send out an engineer. The engineer arrived at about half past nine this morning. He initially went to the local lower school to try and check the equipment there but was refused entry because they are in the middle of an inspection. So he came here and check our equipment. He poked and prodded for about an hour, everything checked out OK. He went to the Exchange to check the equipment there. Again, apparently this all checked out. So in the end he had to get one of the technical bods from the council to come in and force his way into the lower school. What happened was that the Ofsted inspectors were bundled into the same office as all the comms equipment is stored in. Some wonderfully bright spark decided to unplug the box which handled the connection from the school to the exchange thereby completely killing our internet connection for a day and a half. Apparently they wanted to plug a kettle in. I don't think I've ever had my internet connection killed by a kettle before :|
ChrisC Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I almost managed to not reply after that post, but gah! Chris
webman Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 It just makes your blood boil when people unplug things from sockets marked "DO NOT UNPLUG" I'll get me coat
ChrisC Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Craig....... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Beware_of_Dawg/forum%20fun/nicepost.gif
NetDiag Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I reckon you should hunt the person down that uplugged the device that lost you your connection and boil a kettle and pour scoulding hot water over them and if they are male kick them square in the nuts!
ChrisC Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I reckon you should hunt the person down that uplugged the device that lost you your connection and boil a kettle and pour scoulding hot water over them and if they are male kick them square in the nuts! I'd hate to be the kid that causes a loopback at your school! Chris
NetDiag Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Yeah and thats just for starters! If they misbehave or dont do their homework they are hung from the celing and I wont go into the punishment they recieve if they are caught looking at Pr0n!
Midget Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I've had someone do this before. They turned off the admin server at the switch to plug in a radio.
_Bat_ Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I've had someone do this before. They turned off the admin server at the switch to plug in a radio. Argh!! Do people still unplug stuff without checking exactly what it is powering first? :?
_Bat_ Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I just hope they never get a job in a hospital.
webman Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Argh!! Do people still unplug stuff without checking exactly what it is powering first? Only people who don't understand why things shouldn't be unplugged in a room full of server and communications equipment.
_Bat_ Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Argh!! Do people still unplug stuff without checking exactly what it is powering first? Only people who don't understand why things shouldn't be unplugged in a room full of server and communications equipment. *edited due to not saying very nice stuff about people who unplug servers*
webman Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Oh go on, put it in small size and the closest colour to the page backround as possible ;-)
john Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I don't think I've ever had my internet connection killed by a kettle before :| I have, well it was a school I was visiting, theinternet and network went down and it was because someone plugged in a new kettle in the staff room which shared a ring main with the server room next door and the kettle was iffy and it tripped the breaker which in of course turned the sockets off in the staff room and server room. So yes you guessed it off goes the server, router, switch etc after a few minutes of UPS time, and still no cup of tea due to the dud kettle Morral of that story is ensure that your server sockets are on a different ring mian to anything else.
Andrew_C Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Morral of that story is ensure that your server sockets are on a different ring mian to anything else.The moral of that story is that all equipment should be PATed prior to being taken into service. Nor should any staff bring in elec stuff from home unless it is likewise PATed... and keep your critical services seperate from the tea room.
Guest Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Could have been worse... They could have wanted to use an iron
GrumbleDook Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Nah ... you'd never have an iron in the staffroom ... teachers don't know how to use something like that ...
eduabncs Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 I've had someone do this before. They turned off the admin server at the switch to plug in a radio. Argh!! Do people still unplug stuff without checking exactly what it is powering first? :? yup they sure do....I had one of our schools call up today saying 'no internet'....following first principles found out that their telewest fibre convertor had been unplugged. Turned out that they had been 'tidying' the storage cupboard where their connection comes in. They didn't recognise the Telewest kit as being anything useful so it was unplugged! Presto no RBC connection!
GrumbleDook Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 Telewest kit not useful? Sounds like a fair omment to me ;-)
john Posted December 5, 2006 Posted December 5, 2006 @Andrew_C - this place had actually had the kettle pat tested that week! I say new, it was pat tested as i noted the sticker but as they took it out of a box I assume its used for when there is more than normal people to brew up for, but still they did bin it as it was only a cheap kettle, not worth the risk for a £10 kettle really is it. @Sysman_MK - I see the old Ironing has come back again! Careful otherwise you will set Tony off having steaming hot flushes again (Ok i'll try not to be so cheesy again!) @Grumbledook - Yup, I can agree my mates on Telewest find there service aint much good either.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now