NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 (edited) Hi all - I'm doing a bit of random research and wanted to see what other people where using - as a percentage...not explained very well, but you'll get the jist from the poll. I'm talking as a main system here, do you use Windows, Mac, Linux (or other). If you have 50 Macs and 50 Windows machine, sitting on a Windows server, put windows. Again, sorry about the explanation, as well as if i posted this in the wrong place! * the reason is that I have a carp system to administer her and the headmistress said to me, 'What do other schools use?'. I just want to make sure i was correct in answering Windows in the majority of cases Edited May 14, 2010 by witch confusion
powdarrmonkey Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 At home, or at work? On my machine, or in general throughout? If I have 50 macs, 50 windows machines and twenty linux servers, what then? Welcome to the land of diverse data aggregation
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 Sorry - good point! I meant at work, and in your scenario i'd guess i'd say what would be the next machine you bought - out of Windows and Mac!? A bit of a wishy-washy poll i know! I guess what i'm getting at is what is predominantly used in educational environments! Diverse data aggregation - thats any school i've ever been in! Cheers!
sparkeh Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Hmm what about if your main Windows server is hosted on a linux based VM host?
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 Ah - that would be windows then, as that's the OS you're actually using as a server (i think!?)
powdarrmonkey Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 as that's the OS you're actually using as a server (i think!?) depends how you define 'server'...
FN-GM Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 I think you should be able to select more than one option
Hightower Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 I think you should be able to select more than one option So then it wouldn't be the 'main' OS. It would be the main two OS's or three OS's then. It's his survey, and he defines the questions. You don't know what kind of results they want!
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 ...ah, but then it wouldn't be an overall poll! If i said that you could have had 200 windows PCs and 1 Mac and put both down. Sorry, my poll, my rules!
Hightower Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 What will the results be used for? To find the relation between computer OS's and fish shop orders..... Apparantly, Windows users like Cod and chips, where as linux users like haddock. Mac users prefer the shiny vinegar bottles as they look nice.
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 What will the results be used for? I'll wait to answer that - other's answers will be much funnier than mine! -- good one Hightower!
webman Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 @NetmanDH In that case I'll wait to add my answer to the poll
powdarrmonkey Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Mac users prefer the shiny vinegar bottles as they look nice. They may be shiny, but if the little hole in the top gets too big and the bottle starts running out of vinegar before it should, you're not allowed to open the top and replace it. 1
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 I assure you it's not a political conspiracy - although now i'm a bit confused and unsure!
pscott Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 I run Mac OS X 10.6 alongside Windows 7, using Syngery to go between the 2
jamesreedersmith Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Depends what machine im on, what job im doing, if im at work or at home, which way the winds blowing - could be any and all of the above!!
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 Perhaps i should have renamed the poll 'What OS are you deploying, at work, generally, as a whole' !?
Hightower Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Depends what machine im on, what job im doing, if im at work or at home, which way the winds blowing - could be any and all of the above!! But you're missing the point. Which one do you use mainly?! It surely can't be 50/50 - you've got to use one more than others, even if it's only by a matter of minutes or even seconds. Why are people being so panickidy? It's a simple flipping question, that has a simple flipping answer. We have linux servers here, ubuntu at home, but because I spend 8+ hours a day on my work machine the answer for me is quite simply Windows. How is it so hard to arrive to an answer for such a simple question. I bet if there was a million quid riding on the answer none of you will say "I use this and this and this all exactly the same" - I bet everyone of you's would make your mind up which one you used more then. *sigh*
webman Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 @Hightower I think it's a matter of principal. At least for me it is, anyway. A relatively-unknown member posts a vaguely-worded poll which could mean anything (quote: "A bit of a wishy-washy poll i know!"), and means different things to different people. It doesn't say why he's collecting the data or for what purposes.
NetmanDH Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 Fine, i'm sorry - there was nothing sinister about it - i have a crap system to administer her and the headmistress said to me, 'What do other school's use?'. I just wanted to make sure i was correct in answering Windows - i wish i'd never asked now! If someone asked me the same question i'd just answer, i don't have to give my name, address and bank details - i'm not going to be taken to court for giving an honest answer. I'll delete the poll in a minute if it's going to cause this much greif!
witch Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 @Hightower I think it's a matter of principal. At least for me it is, anyway. A relatively-unknown member posts a vaguely-worded poll which could mean anything (quote: "A bit of a wishy-washy poll i know!"), and means different things to different people. It doesn't say why he's collecting the data or for what purposes. Nobody is making you answer - and anyway, what could he do with the answers - have you turned into an Apple Mac? Didn't someone ask about underwear the other day? That was pretty random but lots of people answered even though the OP NEVER SAID what he was going to do with the answers!!
cookie_monster Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Trying to get a straight answer in a poll from a bunch of geeks, muhahahaha nice try
witch Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 I've edited your original post so that the reason is obvious - should be OK now *Hightower - I love your new word: panickidy - can I keep it?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now