IanT Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 ICT Manager - Dorset - 200570702 - New Scientist Jobs The ICT Manager will be responsible for managing the School's ICT and AVA services. This will involve managing a team of three technicians and an external provider in maintaining and improving the IT network and infrastructure. The successful person must have excellent organisation and managerial skills and be able to liaise and brief senior members of the School and Governors. The ICT Manager will be instrumental in developing and implementing the School's ICT strategy as well as improving the provision of ICT and AVA across the School. Looks like a lovely school..............too far for me.
witch Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 FYI: It isn't called Canford High School but actually Canford School: Canford School - From the Headmaster It is a fairly well respected private school (very good at music) in beautiful grounds by the river Stour.
IanT Posted September 19, 2009 Author Posted September 19, 2009 ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okays. Interesting reading the info about the school..........they have an external contractor who looks after the Network side of things.............bit odd imo
witch Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 Yes - I know the IT guy there and I am not quite sure what is going on. I know that last year their IT teacher walked out and the NM (the guy I know) and the helpdesk person took on all the teaching (private schools don't have the same rules as state ones about qualified teachers). I wonder if he is staying with the teaching? Odd that the website doesn't appear on the ad you saw. The school is VERY backward when it comes to IT - nice kit, lots of servers but not many IT suites and very little IT taught. But the site is huge and the teachers have houses which are on the network and so the external network people are needed to install stuff over long distances etc - I don't think they actually administer the network.
IanT Posted September 19, 2009 Author Posted September 19, 2009 ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ic, if i lived that way would apply in seconds lol
localzuk Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 They want a handwritten letter according to their website! Who handwrites anything?! Especially for an IT job!
localzuk Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 hand written - how do you do that? Exactly! My hand would explode with such a task...
torledo Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 They want a handwritten letter according to their website! Who handwrites anything?! Especially for an IT job! i didn't see that stipulation anywhere.
localzuk Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 i didn't see that stipulation anywhere. Its on their website, not on the linked advert. http://www.canford.com/uploads/1/ICT_Manager_further_details.pdf
john Posted September 19, 2009 Posted September 19, 2009 Looks lovely school to work at but bet wifi and cabling is a knightmare in that building
IanT Posted September 19, 2009 Author Posted September 19, 2009 vaild Point - dont really wanna think about that now lol
AXE Posted September 20, 2009 Posted September 20, 2009 Looks lovely school to work at but bet wifi and cabling is a knightmare in that building I've spent most of my working life cabling in a school that had seven sites, five of which were grade 2 listed buildings. With two foot thick stone walls it is difficult, but not impossible. As for being too far away... If there was a school on the Moon, I'd walk if I had to.
witch Posted September 20, 2009 Posted September 20, 2009 I did apply for the helpdesk position a year ago and yes, I did send in a handwritten letter. I composed it on the computer and then copied it out. Canford pride themselves on 'old fashioned values' and as I have said, they aren't that IT literate so that would be why they want a written letter. No, I didn't get the job - it came down to me and one other and the IT manager took the other one as he has more networking knowledge than me and the plan was to move him into the tech team as the two older members retired. It all worked out well for me as 6 months later I picked up my current second job - NM in a primary school which I love
Jiser Posted September 20, 2009 Posted September 20, 2009 3 techs and 1 network manager for a school with 635 students. Seems a bit to much. Though as you say Witch some took on the teaching.
witch Posted September 21, 2009 Posted September 21, 2009 3 techs and 1 network manager for a school with 635 students. Seems a bit to much. Not really when you remember that most are boarders and so there are lots of computer facilities across the campus, and also as I said, the teachers are on site and have computers etc to be maintained
UKDarkstar Posted September 26, 2009 Posted September 26, 2009 Re the handwritten letter - according to their website you can send an electronic application so presumably you would send this with an email which would not be "handwritten". I may have a bash They seem to want ITIL and project management skills too.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now