MK-2 Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 Our current website was rather old and tired looking, so the school got a a company to redesign it. I've now been asked by the company to find out who is in charge of our domain currently so that the new site can go live ASAP. I've checked on the nominet whois page, and it lists our school as the registrant, but no company is listed for contact. As we are private, I'm assuming the LEA wouldn't know either? How am I going to find out which host is currently in charge of our site?
rush_tech Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 Who pays the Bill for your hosting? See who they pay
powdarrmonkey Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 What's the domain name? As it's a .sch.uk you almost certainly deal directly with Nominet, IIRC.
Edu-IT Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 What's the domain name? As it's a .sch.uk you almost certainly deal directly with Nominet, IIRC. They should be able to help you.
ICT_GUY Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 Do what we did, buy the co.uk version of the domain name, but a redirection script on the old website.
matt40k Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 Phone Nominet directly, they will just change it. I think your LEA could also do this, but it makes sence to cut them out and go direct, you will still have to ask them tho if you want to use there dns servers Unfortantly I don't have direct number to hand, I might be able to find it, PM if you want it.
plexer Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 The school owns the domain name and it is registered for you by nominet. You can fill out a change form and pay a small fee for nominet to make any changes you nedd. Just check with the company you want to transfer the dns to that they can host .sch.uk domains for you. From there you can make any changes you need. Ben
ICTNUT Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 It depends on your LEA but I know that ours does not own the sch.uk name but it was a deal done by the government a while back or at least this is what I am led to believe. If you can get Nominet to do it directly good job but my understanding is that the only person who can transfer ownership of the domain is the current holder.
plexer Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 The current holder is the school they always remain ownership of the domain so they can change hosting companies etc... Ben
leco Posted September 8, 2008 Posted September 8, 2008 I have previously dealt with Nominet directly for our .sch.uk domain name issues. They were extremely helpful.
MK-2 Posted September 8, 2008 Author Posted September 8, 2008 yep thanks everyone, i called nominet who went through a few things. its not me having to deal with either company, i was just requested to find out who currently does the hosting and stuff. cheers
Quackers Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Does anybody who i can transfer the .sch.uk domain to? I'm getting fed up of £50 a time costs for new A records to our domain. Only other company i have used is 123reg.com.
john Posted February 24, 2010 Posted February 24, 2010 Does anybody who i can transfer the .sch.uk domain to? I'm getting fed up of £50 a time costs for new A records to our domain. Only other company i have used is 123reg.com. Give Carl @ CS NewMedia a shout he can host them no issues and I know he hosts a good number all ready Excellent service from him very helpful 1
garethEds Posted February 24, 2010 Posted February 24, 2010 My wife's school has a .sch.uk domain name and it is held free of charge by ysh.co.uk however their website is held by Firmus IT Solutions - but once their inspection is over that will be changing to another host. If we want to make changes to the .sch.uk domain name the Headteacher has to fax ysh.co.uk and they make the changes. Our .sch.uk domain name is held by our LEA who operate our nameservers and A records etc. Gareth
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now