Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Papercut have released an update with groups now which seems to allow billing per group.

 

I had to remove my old link to entra and use the new one but seems to work.

 

Posted

It seems to do what it says on the tin.

 

You can import groups and add restrictions/balance/overdrafts to them. 

 

It even does automation to add a balance each month.

 

I decommissioned my on-site print server over summer, so all cloudy cloud now.

Posted

Yeah, we're going through a migration from MF to Hive atm. The invite part of the user set up is a bit annoying but its a small price to pay!

Posted

It seems like the user needs to sign up via the invite email? Am I understanding it wrong? Be so much easier if the user didn't need to accept the invite email.

Posted

Yeah join via invite email, then need to download the agent. 

A lot of us get stuck at that point as we don't trust staff enough to have local admin. 

You can bodge a script but it'd be good if it was an MSI but I guess not as easy as the installer is unique to the logged on user to sync. 

Posted

I tried the guidance - for none-intune (GPO) schools the guidance is to use the intune method partially to obtain the key IDs etc. I couldn't get it working. Ended up using a script a copier company had compiled, I'm guessing because the papercut guidance isn't simple. Probably just me!

Posted

We've been using Hive for a week or two on a few MFP's...it seems fantastic, apart from shared devices such as IT rooms...it appears to lack a great user experience such as having to sign into the papercut printer...Does the auto link script overcome this?

Posted

Could you confirm something for me... they have implemented groups but still no shared accounts? Are shared accounts still planned for 2026 or is it now 2027
How do you all deal with people belonging to multiple departments? Are you not using shared accounts within your schools?

Also... just reading above about the struggles with the install that might finally be improved this year, is... worrying. Hive is not new, how is it not sorted by now? 

I am looking at moving away from MF but the Canon Cloud Solution seems way more mature and feature rich. It does tie you in to Canon but it seems so much better from what I have seen. Does anyone disagrees?

 

papercut-roadmap.png

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/08/2026 at 13:32, Simcfc73 said:

This what we use.  The biggest issue is intune can take a while to deploy when someone logs on.

 

We are almost 1:1 so it works ok

 

The recent updates seem to improve it

auto-link-users-when-deploying-papercut-hive-client-with-microsoft-intune (1) (1).pdf 1.12 MB · 38 downloads

 

Hi - did you work out why InTune can sometimes take a long time to push the client out? We migrated from MF to Hive this summer, and all testing indicated the user client install was speedy and reliable, but in the real world we're facing 70% failure rates.

 

Testing has shown that the app can either install instantly or, in the most extreme cases, over two hours later. In a one to one environment where most people are moving around on an hourly basis and closing the lids on their devices, this delay translates into failed installs due to interruption (The user logged off while the app policy was being processed, 0x87D300CD).

 

We are currently pushing out the auto-link version, which involves packaging the installer with a PowerShell script, and in order to get over the hurdle I'm considering pushing out the naked installer instead, but as it's still a user-based install method (same as the auto-link version) I'm not very confident of improving the rate of success.

Edited by kidtrebor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...