Preston Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 YUCK! they are unreliable and expensive...what a terrible combination. mine lasted a total of 6 months. 160Gb of data down the tube. On the bright side i know i guy who knows a guy and I'm currently having it recovered free of charge. Most will not be so lucky!
pete Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 er..... yeah, it's a maxtor. What did you expect? Pete (who's had far too many machines succumb to fiery maxtor death.)
Norphy Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 I've had far too many die on me at work in the last six months. > 20 at last count I think.
Preston Posted February 15, 2006 Author Posted February 15, 2006 yea my friend Rob has had a batch die on him in the last month too. Although Seagate and Maxtor have recently merged so there may be better products to come, i'm still dubious of any maxtor related technology to be honest. :?
Guest richard Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 I just lost a 250gig maxtor sata drive in a striped mirrored array. Went with no warning what so ever
DMcCoy Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 YUCK! they are unreliable and expensive...what a terrible combination. mine lasted a total of 6 months. 160Gb of data down the tube. On the bright side i know i guy who knows a guy and I'm currently having it recovered free of charge. Most will not be so lucky! Nice Avatar I've not found and drives I've ever been really happy with for IDE/SATA, my favourites are seagate though, western digital are ok (I have 4 400GB in a ReadyNas 600 for my music collection at home, although they are the raid editions with a better mtbf and 24x7 duty cycle). Saying that, I'm 10 feet away from an older and dead WD. Samsung are ok too from the ones I've used. Although no drives seem to last as long as they used to, except scsi ones.
Preston Posted February 16, 2006 Author Posted February 16, 2006 You know....hardrive failure is one of the most depressing things in the world out of curiosity whats your ingame name McCoy? out of topic i know
tarquel Posted February 16, 2006 Posted February 16, 2006 I stopped using maxtor [where possible - watch out with HP SATA drives - they are maxtor :( ...well - the two that I had were anyhow!] when a whole load of machines HDD's died - has been quite a few years. Had to pay to send them back and got refurbs back. I'm a Hitachi guy now and dont mind the odd WD or a Samsung spinpoint Cheers Nath
Geoff Posted February 16, 2006 Posted February 16, 2006 My favorites for this kind of thing was IBM Death^H^H^HDeskStars...
john Posted February 16, 2006 Posted February 16, 2006 The good - WD hard disks nothing less than the JB range though, the AB and BB are not as tough. Seagate SATA hard drives seem nice as well, my HPs came with them, and touch wood - no failures in 60 yet. The Bad - Maxtors - just not worth the stress anymore, I hate them, The Ugly - Hitachi Death Stars (be they original deathstarts or the new versions, all HGST Hard Drives are just not worth it. Excelstore are also as bad. The OK - Samsung seems nice, and have a 3yr warranty, and cheaper than WDCs.
E1uSiV3 Posted February 17, 2006 Posted February 17, 2006 Im A WD fan and a fellow hater of Maxtor, the DiamondMax 9 40 + 80s were horrific, had 60 go over a period of 3 years, i had a 160GB go after a week and a second 160 go after a few months, so MAxtor = nono for me. Exelstor i can also say are s**te, but ironically better than Maxtor as they performed a lil better in the reliability stakes. Hitachi - had a few laptop drives go in the past, nothing to care much about tho. Seagate - not a single complaint
CheeseDog Posted February 20, 2006 Posted February 20, 2006 You know....hardrive failure is one of the most depressing things in the world out of curiosity whats your ingame name McCoy? out of topic i know Especially when you loose 16 seasons worth of CM2 on a 66MHz 486 DX2 how I miss my first 2GB drive. (I'm guessing the thrashing CM2 gave it killed it) David Beckham had retired and Shearer was manager of Mansfield. Bryan Robson had started a reign of terror at Middlesbrough and was virtually unbeatable.
wesleyw Posted February 20, 2006 Posted February 20, 2006 have 4 400GB in a ReadyNas 600 for my music collection at home How much music do you have? Scary lol @CheeseDog: Yeah I hope my 14 season of FM05 don't go broke, touch wood there is enough copies lol Wes
DMcCoy Posted February 20, 2006 Posted February 20, 2006 Just completed my audio setup, 7.1 speaker/amp setup in the living room attached to an apple airport express with optical out. Got about 1200 CDs to store as apple lossless files on the nas (extracted with EAC and converted with itunes). The files can be played locally or sent to the surround system via airtunes. I have also modified an open source apple lossless (alac) decoder to compile on windows (just needed changing to binary for the console mode). This is used with jinzora a web based front end and converts the apple lossless files to mp3 for realtime internet streaming when I'm not at home. This allows full quality lossless files for playback via amplifier and mp3s for internet with a single copy of the file. Yes, it took ages to get right
E1uSiV3 Posted February 20, 2006 Posted February 20, 2006 Nice setup mate, what amp/speaker combo u running for that? I got a H/K AVR130 running a pair of B&W 601s/LCR60 and ASW600 sub to give the grunt, atm dont have the space for lossless so im jus AACing atm till i can afford a decent storage solution
DMcCoy Posted February 20, 2006 Posted February 20, 2006 Amp is a Denon 3805, speakers are Mordaunt Short Avant 908 for front L/R (not the 'i's, they are a newer revision) Avant 902s for L/R and Rear L/R. 905c for the center and a 309 for the sub.
Preston Posted February 21, 2006 Author Posted February 21, 2006 Modaunt short ohh how i love them....pity they went bust
Preston Posted February 21, 2006 Author Posted February 21, 2006 o rly?? lol must look into this! *begins frantic google search*
DMcCoy Posted February 21, 2006 Posted February 21, 2006 http://www.mordauntshort.com oh, and to your EVE related question - In game name is Windle Poons.
Preston Posted February 21, 2006 Author Posted February 21, 2006 lol good name! i know what ill be spending next months wages on.... http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=18&Title=914 heh Used to have set of booksheld m10's and i loved them. until they popped of course
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now